Honda CRX Forum banner

Joey F.'s CR-X

147K views 389 replies 118 participants last post by  joey f. 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

My name is Jo and im coming over from Honda-Tech. Azulito (thanks man!) introduced me to this site and it seems to be a great group of CRX enthusiasts here. I definitely want to make this place a new home to share my projects.

Ive owned all types of Honda's, from EG's to DC's, but my very first was a CRX...and I always find myself crawling back to them.

So with out further ado, my two CRX's

1990 CRX SI
Purchased this y49 CRX SI back in October of 2007 for a lowly $150...Just a rustless shell but still had the rear disc on it and alot of nice SI interior parts. It serves as storage for now but I will resurrect her after the White CRX is all done. Alot of her parts will support the HF's build.

1991 CRX HF
Purchased this HF Dec 7th of 2006. Car has a beat up, oily LS engine in it that was done VERY half-a$$'d. Car was also stock height and had a Greddy SP exhaust on it.

When I first got her:

Shortly after the purchase I lowered the car on some H&R springs and Tanabe struts and put some Mugen Mr-5 wheels on her just to see how she looked.

A shot of her next to my daily driver

Then the car sat for a long time in the garage and I pulled her out this fall to start the restoration.

I plan on either going K-series or putting a B18C-R in her with ITB's...but we'll see.. Not too sure what her purpose will be...autocross or street duty...or both? Only time will tell...I just know I want her to be fast, light, and look pretty.

So thats the intro for now. Stay tuned, got some goodies to show and tell. :D

-Jo

See less See more
#10 ·
daveb91 said:
Its obviously been repainted. I like the white one.
Yes, the y-49 CRX has been repainted by the previous owner(s) but the car was originally Barbados Yellow from the factory. I was tapping around the SI today just to see if there was any body filler and there may be some secrets the car is hiding under that aftermarket paint.

The rear quarter panels sound "solid" opposed to the hollow sheet metal sound that a bondo-less panel should have. We'll see when I start to work on the shell. If the body filler is excessive (which I pray it is not)...to the junkyard she will go after her parts are donated to the HF.

On another note, I got to mess with the HF today. A high of 80 degrees here in sunny FL makes for great car tinkering weather. (In mid-December no less)

I was just poking around the LS engine, nothing really special. Im trying to determine if I want to rip out the motor now or wait until after the paint... Im leaning toward beofre the paint so I can get the bay done but itll be a pain for my paint guy to have to push the shell around the paint shop all the time. (He works by himself)

Propped her up on Jacks to see what the brakes look like...

Turns out the HF has had DA Integra front brakes installed on it. I will be taking these spindles out soon for EX Sedan brakes assemblies.

I guess the DA front spindles explain why the HF tracked down the road funny...it was like the car wanted to turn in every groove...could be bad alignment but ill just do it right with the correct spindles from a Civic.

azulito said:
Hey Jo, good to see you made it over here!

Why don't you tell us more about your cosmetic plans for the car!?
LOL! Allan, that will be a surprise later on in the build! But ill give you all an idea for what's in store

#13 ·
joey f. said:
If the body filler is excessive (which I pray it is not)...to the junkyard she will go after her parts are donated to the HF.
If it looks clean, and the filler's stable, why worry about it? If nothing else, someone from the rust belt would buy the shell.....

#14 ·
daveb91 said:
baker423 said:
Beautiful Crx's....that Y-49 is BRIGHT!
Its obviously been repainted.
Figured just as well, the rear bumper chipping kind of gave it away, but it's still bright!

bil said:
joey f. said:
If the body filler is excessive (which I pray it is not)...to the junkyard she will go after her parts are donated to the HF.
If it looks clean, and the filler's stable, why worry about it? If nothing else, someone from the rust belt would buy the shell.....
If you find it has had body filler, I wouldn't scrap it either.
Even with filler, I'm sure someone would pick it up.

#16 ·
WOW.....this is taking longer than I thought!!...lol

Well, what's up everone! It's been quite a while since I have updated...I have just been super busy during the last part of '07 and beginning of '08...(New job, graduated college, getting married, etc.)

But here's a couple of parts i've been collecting to build my dream CRX...

My Mugen Pro.2 Aero kit...

I've got the majority of the parts...I'm just searching for the rear wing to finish it off. This will all be going on the HF and i'm still debating if I should even spend the time on the SI...Either i'll use the SI as a dedicated racecar OR maybe just a dedicated parts car and junk it after its plucked dry of anything useful....only time will tell.

One question I had though....

Do any of you know of a good way to replicate the Mugen PRO 2 Decals that are on the side door caps? I know I am 100% going to repaint the car when all the body parts go on but I wanted the decals to be on the kit after it is finished. Pretty much, I want the car to look like the Mugen CRX catalog car.

I was thinking of bringing the actual panel to a sticker shop and see if they have any gadgetry that can scan the sticker right off the panel....If this is possible, I would make like 30 sets to go around lol... But ya, ill find a way...just kind of keeping my options open as far as scanning images off the net, or what not...

Will keep you guys posted on what I find (If I do find a way...)

-Jo

#19 ·
Say hello to my new(ish) CRX.

She's just for parts (at least I keep trying to tell myself that) I got her for really cheap..so it was a pretty good deal for the parts. Has a great interior and has motor still in it. Maybe if I have the time I can build her up with all the extra stuff I have laying around.

Also, I started my white LS CRX to move it around the backyard in preparation for Trpoical Storm Fay...It feels good to start that thing up again. Its been a while since ive even started her up...cranked up on the first try. I'll get in the groove again and post some pics..

O yah, I started driving my 1991 Si hatch back in May (she was in storage for a while)..I was driving a truck but gas was just too crazy..

#21 ·
mphsrex said:
Nice little collection of cars you have there. My wife would kill me if I brought home all of that. She hates my rex but oh well
Thanks...and LOL...I hear you on the collection thing...Who said my Fiance knew about the storage?? j/k But lets just say I told her about my parts stash once...but out of sight out of mind. :wink:

#25 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone!

And yes, the Mugen Aero Kit does need alot of work but it's something i'm OK with since the kit is near to impossible to find complete...and takes ever longer to piece together with all the genuine pieces. I'm still searching for the PRO.2 wing.

I think it's way fun Refurb'ing something so old too...Kinda like an Archeologist unearthing a rare dinosaur...

OK..not quite, but you get what im saying lol

PS: Im still trying to find a decal shop that can replicate the CRX PRO.2 stickers that are on the door caps...any ideas?? Im thinking a may just have to trace them by hand...ink them in and have them scanned....

OR....im sure the text is on a CRX PRO.2 catalog somewhere...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.