Honda CRX Forum banner

Passport to Freedom (AKA 1988 Blade Silver Dx)

107K views 432 replies 85 participants last post by  CRXIE 
#1 ·
I bought a 1988 Dx in excellent condition from a CRXCommunity.com member and wanted to share. This only had 124K on the odometer when I picked it up. I'm not planning anything wild for it as far as modifications go because it's all original and reliable. I'll do wheels, brakes, and suspension first and see where I am at that point. It's a Dx so I'll be swapping in some Si options in due time (like MPFI, RSB, rear disk brakes and interior).

Between driving it home, getting parts and a vacation I've driven it in 11 states so far and have more trips planned. It's averaging 38-45 mpg and sometimes better so I am calling this my Passport to Freedom this summer!

A big shout out to every one on here that has helped me with parts and advise. Thanks for looking; more to follow.

See less See more
#8 ·
vanrij said:
Pokerplayer said:
Very clean :)b Also love the color.

Goodluck with it.
Best factory CRX color ever sprayed IMO. Preaching to the choir with this quote though...we're going to have some CRX similarities no doubt.
Very anxious to see for future pics and updates.

We have the same car 88 DX Blade Silver. She's a great car. 298k miles on her original engine too. Believe it or not still has the same clutch :D but it's definitely next on the list. My car was in storage for almost 7 years and decided to revive it again. I'm averaging about 33 to 36 mpg which i think it's great! You just dont see these cars around as much anymore :D

#13 ·
Leon said:
Blade Silver :bounce: :)b
Seems to be in very good condition.
Yes the previous owner, Chato on this forum, took super care of it. Big thanks goes out to him.
brutabuss said:
great looking car all around...i wouldn't change a thing under the hood and you should take a pic of the car in every dif state you drive in...and that ever you paid for...it was worth it
I always say I am going to leave things alone but almost never do. Just today I was thinking about how fun I remember Si gear ratios being. :D
1drivinmofo said:
nice find, very clean car.
Thanks man!
Nar said:
That is ridonculously clean man, i can eat of of your engine bay. I am jealous of your front lip and oem mats! Great car man!! :)b Are those rims you speak off spoons of some sort? Or am i super wrong? :D
Here is the give away. I was going to put these on it but went 15" instead.

Now they are up for sale if anyone is interested. Rays Engineering Volk Racing GR-N 14x6.5+42 with a weight to strength ratio very difficult to beat.

#16 ·
Pokerplayer said:
Nice!!! I have been trying to find one in a good condition as well.

Goodluck :)b

Mike
They are definitely getting more difficult to find without holes. Same with the seats; and I'm looking for a set like yours! If you don't mind me asking, where did you pick yours up? I actually had a set but was sure my next CRX would be a 91 and not another 88 so I sold them... :doh:

After a long search and negotiations with the seller I have to say it was a little nerve racking installing them.

#17 ·
I had one of those go-to-the-wrecking-yard-and-fix-a-bunch-o-little-things days on Saturday and got the CRX legit. No more ride'n dirty :lol:

No pictures of it but the windshield wiper motor went out on my on the original drive home and I had to replace that to pass the state safety test.

While in that region; fixed the windshield squirter nozzle that I broke

With that out of the way I swapped out the blown hatch struts for new ones as well as the bolt cover/trim. Much easier access now that the hatch is not trying to fall on my head!

Next necessary item was the brake lights. Shortly after getting this home my brake lights went on…and stayed on. Turns out the brake like switch stopper in the brake pedal had been lost at some point and was replaced with some odd hardware. Could only find a blue one…

AC needs a recharge and I pulled off the adaptor, which I think may have been leaking, and replaced it with an original cap.

Found some more non-OE hardware holding the lip on. Fixed that.

Put a spare hood insulator on that was from my previous CRX (rest in pieces lil' poo).

My last two CRXs were broken into (one of them a LOT) at some point through the passenger's side door handle. I won't go into detail but eliminating the rod from handle-to-lock on this side might slow any potential thieves down.

Now with that stuff out of the way and the 5-O no longer a concern I can focus on more satisfying upgrades.

#23 ·
The last CRX was fun, mostly because I wasn't worried about it and drove it hard and often. Still have most of the parts but had to finally make a concession and sell some of them to buy ^ this one after not finding anything decent in UT for a couple years. And coming from you, that's a huge compliment thanks. You've got one of the freshest CRXs around!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.