(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

wind's pop-up 86 Si(D15Z1 Excessive Vibration Solved)

Looking for information specific to your 1st gen? Find it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (broken into)

Postby 310lissik » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:43 am

If u ever need help w. Weldin let me no I just need a mig lol
Last edited by 310lissik on Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
86 crx made by honda carbed

Build, or building?
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=47484
User avatar
310lissik
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 10 Feb 2011
Location: Torrance, ca

(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (to be resumed in fall)

Postby xxpaulcpxx » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:44 pm

I had the same thing happen on my 86Si, the throwout bearing goes and wears down the shaft. Only way to fix is to replace the bell housing.

I really like what you've done so far! Keep up the posts!
RIP: Red 87 CRX SI
86 Silver CRX Si
RIP: 90 Maroon CRX DX Auto MPFI
89 Red CRX Si
Location = SoCal = Cypress
User avatar
xxpaulcpxx
 
Posts: 452
Joined: 15 Dec 2005
Location: SoCal - Cypress

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (to be resumed in fall)

Postby 310lissik » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:22 pm

Hey do u have the fender bracket, any shocks springs, how were those seats, And wat is the ew3 u got?
86 crx made by honda carbed

Build, or building?
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=47484
User avatar
310lissik
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 10 Feb 2011
Location: Torrance, ca

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (to be resumed in fall)

Postby windraver » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:51 am

I have a spare radiator, the entire ac assembly, headlights and corners, and a bunch of random parts. Maybe I should sell some to help pay for upgrades
I just noticed I'm never playing by the rules
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
User avatar
windraver
 
Posts: 1645
Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (to be resumed in fall)

Postby 310lissik » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:31 am

How much for the rad, and part of the ac, and corner?
86 crx made by honda carbed

Build, or building?
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=47484
User avatar
310lissik
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 10 Feb 2011
Location: Torrance, ca

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (to be resumed in fall)

Postby windraver » Tue May 03, 2011 10:26 pm

So hasport has D-series mounts for the first gen now. And theres a nice d15z1 for sale.... 60+ mpg?

its this or a b16a which will cost alot... difficult decision....
I just noticed I'm never playing by the rules
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
User avatar
windraver
 
Posts: 1645
Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (to be resumed in fall)

Postby sleeper17 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:48 am

in a first gen i would say build a D series but if i had a ton of time on my hands i bet a B series would rip in the first gen. ive seen it done but never seen one first hand.
why not a D16 Vtec? that would rip it up i bet also.
Blade silver 89 CRX DX w/B16 N/A
when life gives you lemons, paint 'em gold.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34760
88-89 front bumper cover wanted P'M me
User avatar
sleeper17
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: 08 Dec 2008
Location: Sandpoint, ID

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (to be resumed in fall)

Postby windraver » Wed May 04, 2011 1:59 pm

sleeper17 wrote:in a first gen i would say build a D series but if i had a ton of time on my hands i bet a B series would rip in the first gen. ive seen it done but never seen one first hand.
why not a D16 Vtec? that would rip it up i bet also.

the d15z1 is the civic vx engine. I not too concerned about speed but the 60+ mpg is very tempting.

b16a though would be nice too but very costly.
I just noticed I'm never playing by the rules
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
User avatar
windraver
 
Posts: 1645
Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (to be resumed in fall)

Postby shorty_boy » Sun May 15, 2011 10:11 am

go for mpg... petrol is expensive...plus you you have a light car. Just my opinion.
Last edited by shorty_boy on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1989 CRX HF "... and i will call her betsie and betsie will be mine!"
Resurrected 1/15/2012.
Shorty's Mods, Swaps, and Reviews.
User avatar
shorty_boy
 
Posts: 1377
Joined: 28 May 2009
Location: Whidbey Island, WA

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (to be resumed in fall)

Postby MIKEcheckX1212 » Sun May 15, 2011 5:44 pm

man i wish i had your knowledge in the body work area, i have a 87 si and my fenders are dry rotting and crack and break off in chunks at the slightest bend.. i looked a bit further into my panels and noticed that the main and most critical points they are broken on, is where the bolts connect the panel to the body, ya know, the little eyelets on the panels the the screws go through.. any advice on how to possibly salvage those? or do u think they would even be worth trying to fix?
MIKEcheckX1212
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 13 May 2011

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (to be resumed in fall)

Postby 310lissik » Mon May 16, 2011 12:38 am

J b weld, and mayb fiberglass to reinforce wat I did/ doin,(should ask this as a new thread)
86 crx made by honda carbed

Build, or building?
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=47484
User avatar
310lissik
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 10 Feb 2011
Location: Torrance, ca

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (to be resumed in fall)

Postby windraver » Tue May 17, 2011 7:12 pm

MIKEcheckX1212 wrote:man i wish i had your knowledge in the body work area, i have a 87 si and my fenders are dry rotting and crack and break off in chunks at the slightest bend.. i looked a bit further into my panels and noticed that the main and most critical points they are broken on, is where the bolts connect the panel to the body, ya know, the little eyelets on the panels the the screws go through.. any advice on how to possibly salvage those? or do u think they would even be worth trying to fix?


Heres a link:
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=35849

Bondo at the end of the day is brittle. Fiberglass is flexible but difficult to form.

At the end of the day, it comes down to your budget. I'm a reasonably poor college student so I take the repair route. If you have the money, sourcing a replacement beats repair any day. On the positive note, a good job at repair will be worth much more.

What I've been trying to do is source a metal fender that might fit on the crx. It has yet to be done.
I just noticed I'm never playing by the rules
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
User avatar
windraver
 
Posts: 1645
Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (to be resumed in fall)

Postby guccimane » Wed May 18, 2011 7:35 pm

windraver... you have an awsome thread going here... awsome work..im gonna use your thread to do a few of the same things to my car, cause im diggin the GM mirror, center console and cup holders...

what car the steering wheel come from?

and thanks to you windraver, i know what ima do with my window seals... and i have to look under them to check out this rust i have going on under my driverside window seal right around the mirror on the door.... i hope i can fix it and make it look originall, cause its sticking out to the side just a little
1987 CRX DX (Parted out and Crushed)
1986 Civic DX (Fresh D15A2 w/ Weber K726, prepping for paint)
User avatar
guccimane
 
Posts: 397
Joined: 03 Mar 2011
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (to be resumed in fall)

Postby windraver » Wed May 18, 2011 8:31 pm

guccimane wrote:windraver... you have an awsome thread going here... awsome work..im gonna use your thread to do a few of the same things to my car, cause im diggin the GM mirror, center console and cup holders...

what car the steering wheel come from?

and thanks to you windraver, i know what ima do with my window seals... and i have to look under them to check out this rust i have going on under my driverside window seal right around the mirror on the door.... i hope i can fix it and make it look originall, cause its sticking out to the side just a little


thanks, im glad that you're able to find something useful off my thread. The steering wheel came from another crx which i believe was a euro version. Its a bit rare and tough to find but you occasionally can find it on ebay or redpepper racing.

its a center piece. the outside is a mix and match.
they actually have it on ebay right now. F-1 Edition
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-RARE ... ccessories
I just noticed I'm never playing by the rules
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
User avatar
windraver
 
Posts: 1645
Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (to be resumed in fall)

Postby guccimane » Sat May 21, 2011 6:26 am

windraver wrote:
guccimane wrote:windraver... you have an awsome thread going here... awsome work..im gonna use your thread to do a few of the same things to my car, cause im diggin the GM mirror, center console and cup holders...

what car the steering wheel come from?

and thanks to you windraver, i know what ima do with my window seals... and i have to look under them to check out this rust i have going on under my driverside window seal right around the mirror on the door.... i hope i can fix it and make it look originall, cause its sticking out to the side just a little


thanks, im glad that you're able to find something useful off my thread. The steering wheel came from another crx which i believe was a euro version. Its a bit rare and tough to find but you occasionally can find it on ebay or redpepper racing.

its a center piece. the outside is a mix and match.
they actually have it on ebay right now. F-1 Edition
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-RARE ... ccessories

i asked where it came from... i didnt say i wanted to blow my whole paycheck :rofl:

thats a nice steering wheel you got tho... when i get my rex running, because right now, i put ALL new seals in the engine, and i bought an Exedy OEM clutch, just put it in... i just got my P/S lower ball joint in... and i gotta find a Cam gear, and ill have the car all together.... but i Still gotta wait till friday so i can buy all of the required fluids..

im gonna take off the window seals, and under my drivers side one, the piece of metal sticking out that the seal clips on to is kinda rusted away.. i know without pictures its hard to judge so i will get back with pics sometime...
1987 CRX DX (Parted out and Crushed)
1986 Civic DX (Fresh D15A2 w/ Weber K726, prepping for paint)
User avatar
guccimane
 
Posts: 397
Joined: 03 Mar 2011
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (to be resumed in fall)

Postby windraver » Tue May 24, 2011 11:36 am

guccimane wrote:
windraver wrote:
guccimane wrote:windraver... you have an awsome thread going here... awsome work..im gonna use your thread to do a few of the same things to my car, cause im diggin the GM mirror, center console and cup holders...

what car the steering wheel come from?

and thanks to you windraver, i know what ima do with my window seals... and i have to look under them to check out this rust i have going on under my driverside window seal right around the mirror on the door.... i hope i can fix it and make it look originall, cause its sticking out to the side just a little


thanks, im glad that you're able to find something useful off my thread. The steering wheel came from another crx which i believe was a euro version. Its a bit rare and tough to find but you occasionally can find it on ebay or redpepper racing.

its a center piece. the outside is a mix and match.
they actually have it on ebay right now. F-1 Edition
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-RARE ... ccessories

i asked where it came from... i didnt say i wanted to blow my whole paycheck :rofl:

thats a nice steering wheel you got tho... when i get my rex running, because right now, i put ALL new seals in the engine, and i bought an Exedy OEM clutch, just put it in... i just got my P/S lower ball joint in... and i gotta find a Cam gear, and ill have the car all together.... but i Still gotta wait till friday so i can buy all of the required fluids..

im gonna take off the window seals, and under my drivers side one, the piece of metal sticking out that the seal clips on to is kinda rusted away.. i know without pictures its hard to judge so i will get back with pics sometime...


I got it for a quarter of the price off ebay. just gotta watch for it.
I just noticed I'm never playing by the rules
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
User avatar
windraver
 
Posts: 1645
Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (to be resumed in fall)

Postby 310lissik » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:41 pm

Hey I'm having truble wiring the motors for the ights I have the two small black relays that I had gotten from the driverside, and the blue relay from the pass, now I connected all the wires that match up w. Eachother, but on the blue relay I have these wires still lose a total of 6wires:
Image
Now out of these 6 I have a positive feed and clicking in all 3 relays witch are:
Red/yellow
Red/green
But I tested the the redwhite and I only get a click in the blue relay.

Do u happen to have the wiring diagram still, can I get it emailed to me plz?
86 crx made by honda carbed

Build, or building?
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=47484
User avatar
310lissik
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 10 Feb 2011
Location: Torrance, ca

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (to be resumed in fall)

Postby windraver » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:51 pm

I'll have to look around. I haven't touched the car since last fall other than cleaning it up a bit this summer.
I just noticed I'm never playing by the rules
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
User avatar
windraver
 
Posts: 1645
Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (to be resumed in fall)

Postby bobcatrex » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:06 am

I dont suppose i could get that old shifter leather from ya? mines shot and that looks decent ^_^
User avatar
bobcatrex
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 20 Oct 2011

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (to be resumed in fall)

Postby mibars » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:41 am

to be resumed in fall

It's fall alredy ;)

I love this project because of all that DIY stuff and lots of custom fabrication. Having a daily driver "so now i can park and work on my crx" definitley slowed down progress :)

I hope you at least start this engine once a while?
5500-8200 rpm
User avatar
mibars
 
Posts: 35
Joined: 01 Jun 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (to be resumed in fall)

Postby windraver » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:05 am

Indeed, to be accurate, its winter now. But that is what it took to resume.

Decided to start slow charging my dead battery again. I've been in talks with some buddies who have a D15Z1 Civic VX engine lying around. This car won't be strong but it will have ridiculous MPG once I get this going.

A bit of history/update:
Parked my CRX in the garage after the breakin.
I picked up an 1996 EK as a daily driver.
Image
Image

Somewhere along the way, I cleaned up an oil leak under the CRX

The my EK got rear-ended in a hit and run in July.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

But the best part is he left his license plate imprinted into my car. So I got lucky with my insurance claim.
Image
Image
Image
Image

Picked up an EP3 from the insurance and sold the EK.
Image
Image

Currently going through some mini-projects like Android intergration and just making my daily driver comfortable.

Its work in progress but the screen will eventually interface with the droid3
Image

Today I was slow charging my battery.
Image
Image

This project is definitely not dead and my plan is to take it to the meet in Niagra one of these days. Work and school take up all my time but I'm graduating this May. Positive part is I can finally afford some parts :D

edit:
BTW I have a huge crate of CRX parts I won't be using. This includes AC assembly and more. Pictures once I can find em.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
I just noticed I'm never playing by the rules
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
User avatar
windraver
 
Posts: 1645
Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (to be resumed in fall)

Postby windraver » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:21 am

bobcatrex wrote:I dont suppose i could get that old shifter leather from ya? mines shot and that looks decent ^_^

The shifter leather was from a Civics 1996-2000
I just noticed I'm never playing by the rules
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
User avatar
windraver
 
Posts: 1645
Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (Android Intergration)

Postby windraver » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:40 pm

So I mentioned prior that I'm planning to integrate android into the car.

So here is the progress.

First I recently acquire a samsung 7 inch touch screen. Theres plenty of data on it and it appears reliable while supporting HDMI, VGA, Composite(RCA) and also allows input for reverse. Not to mention there is a lot of support for it on MP3Car.com

sources:
screen discussion
http://www.mp3car.com/lcd-display/147249-transflective-lcd-panel-with-res-touch-controler-for-101-36-s-h-88.html
ebay posting
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110659968637&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:1123#ht_24513wt_911

Picture from the ebay posting:
Image

Picture of the testing:
Image

mini demo video (uploading)


As for android interfacing the screen, I'll be using this module:
Image

More info here:
http://www.customgadz.com/store/product.php?id_product=16

So here is the issue. First, its a barescreen. Second, I want a single din flip out. So my approach is to acquire a flipout unit.

So I picked up a broken Clarion VZ 409 for 30 dollars to act as my framework
Image

So next I saw that the screen encasing just wouldn't fit the board. So I needed to relocate the board but the cables where too short and there were 3 of them. These are Zif Flat Flex Cables and they don't make couplers for them. Soldering wasn't very... feasible since the pins are .5 mm apart. half a millimeter requires skills and a soldering iron i didn't have. So I used parts from the broken deck to create my "couplers" and some spare zif cables repurposed into extensions.

Image
Image
Image
Image
this is essentially how the screen will be displayed.
Image
Image
Image
upside down view of the railing flip out setup
Image

broken gears. I ordered some replacements so they should be coming soon.
Image
Image
These are the screen Zif Flat Flex Cables. There is a 40 pin(video), 6 pin(power), 4 pin(touch)
Image
This is the Deck Zif FF cable cut to "simulate" the screen connection
Image
Image
Image
Pictures to demonstrate the thickness of the board. Because of this, I'll be extending the zif FFC and putting the board within the box instead of in the screen.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Connections
Image
Image
Screen Test in the frame.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
modified and repurposed an old bracket to hold the screen in place.
Image
Image
Image
preview of what it might look like
Image
Image
Rerouting the connections:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Work still in progress. Got programming hw to do.
Last edited by windraver on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I just noticed I'm never playing by the rules
Wind's Pop-up Headlights
User avatar
windraver
 
Posts: 1645
Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (Android Integration)

Postby Tian90crx » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:52 am

teach me ur ways!!! :shock:
Tuning stuff for sale OBD1/OBD0: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=111161
User avatar
Tian90crx
 
Posts: 4480
Joined: 30 Jul 2010
Location: DFW

Re: wind's pop-up 86 Si (Android Integration)

Postby To0faded » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:28 am

please tell me you still work on this car, i have a 87 crx si and this whole thread has got me so hyped to work on my.own car. if you have any spair parts or would just like to talk about first gens email me sfulmer16@hotmail.com i live by sf too btw
To0faded
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 25 Sep 2011

(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)
PreviousNext

Return to 1st Generation CRX

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests