(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

CRX Engine for Road / Autocross

Discussions about one thing: the race. Whether it's autocross, drag, road or rally, take it TO THE TRACK and post about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

CRX Engine for Road / Autocross

Postby LemonStain » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:38 am

What is a good engine for the CRX that would be very good for Autocross/Road racing? I want to feel like it has some nice power but also feel some good power for the straight shot.

I am not looking to completely break the bank either.

Long story short: My first car was a CRX when I was 16, as well as my 2nd car. I got out of the car scene for a long time cause when you are young, money doesn't come as easy as it was. I was into the drag scene, but recently got a taste of road racing (with super cars) this weekend and loved it.
LemonStain

Re: CRX Engine for Road / Autocross

Postby jfrolang » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:24 am

The champions of autocross favor a supercharged D16, because tight, technical and relatively slow autocross courses prioritize engine torque with minimal weight.

For road racing you're less likely to see consensus. Honda built the SiR with a B16 specifically for road racing, but these days you may be better off with a K-series. If you're racing competitively the rules for your class will be a big part of the decision making process, along with budget and your capability.
jfrolang
Site Admin

Postby raffaelli » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:45 am

Before you open your wallet, figure out what you want to do, what class, what club, what you want to tinker with, what you want to be able to tinker with. Worst thing you can do is spend some money and then figure out there isnt a class for you.

I am currently running my 91 CRX with a D16. The engine build didnt break the bank, lots of fun and is fast enough in my class (SCCA ITA, EMRA ST7).
raffaelli

Postby Dave_Darling » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:50 pm

Step Zero is always to RTFR--Read The Rulebook.

In some instances, engine swaps can add the requirement that you use a lot more safety equipment than you might otherwise need. While more safety equipment isn't bad, it can be a pain to live with in day to day driving.

Usually engine swaps will put you into classes where you will need to do an awful lot to the car in order to be even close to competitive.

If you're not willing to do a crap-ton of suspension work, adding lightness, roll cage fab, and so on, it may be best to stick to the stock engine.

Besides, you have have an awful lot of fun in a basically stock CRX...

--DD
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Sold on 10/01/11, with over 227,000 miles.

VTEC is Honda's "select a cam profile on the fly" system; VTECH is a crappy phone.
Dave_Darling

Postby jwharnish » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:37 pm

raffaelli wrote:Before you open your wallet, figure out what you want to do, what class, what club, what you want to tinker with, what you want to be able to tinker with. Worst thing you can do is spend some money and then figure out there isnt a class for you.

I am currently running my 91 CRX with a D16. The engine build didnt break the bank, lots of fun and is fast enough in my class (SCCA ITA, EMRA ST7).

I agree with determine which class you want to run in, and if you still plan on driving the car on the street. If the car is to be street driven plus Autocross competition, you have a choice of Street class, or STS. STS is more rewarding, and unless you build it to the limit, can still be a good street driving car. STS 2016 SCCA National Champion was an 88 CRX.
A stock class CRX can be made to work, but requires some expensive shocks, 15x5.0 rims, and a decent rear bar. Either choice will give you an good, reliable, fun to drive car, with the original d16.

I currently run my 88 CRX Si in HS, and can run with most of the best HS cars in the country.

Jim Harnish
1988 CRX Si 74K original miles.
jwharnish

Postby Mista Bone » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:31 am

Another thought is to not worry about class rules and build a safe HPDE car, aka the Honey Badger CRX.

<<< Transmission builder for road racers and autocrossers, I have the easy job!
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Return to Track Racing (Drag/Autocross/Road/Rally X)