Honda CRX Forum banner

Using Rustoleum with a spray gun to paint rex??

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  jvillarr 
#1 ·
So i finally have my car all smoothed out and ready for paint.

I want to use a semi-gloss white paint. I've read all about the $50 paint job, but i dont want to use rollers. I do have an automotive spray gun and compresser.

-Is rustoleum semi-gloss white a good quality paint, will it last?
-Do i thin the paint with mineral spirits, and how thin?
-Will rustoleum through a gun work well?
-What kind of primer and how much do i need?
-How much paint to paint the whole car? 3 qts?
-How many coats of primer and white?
-Should i sand? when, how much?

so many questions.. sorry. but i want to make sure i do this right!

thanks,
trev

#2 ·
Wow! You really need to do some research, but I'll help
First and most important question is will this be a daily driver?
Rustoleum is ok for a track car or something that you don't really care how it looks but for a DD that you want to look decent I would stay away and atleast do a urethane

I painted mine with rusto white. I rolled most of it which is alot less messy and you don't waste so much paint to the air by spraying it. 3 cans should be plenty. Pick up a roller, some extra naps, masking tape, and some of those small foam brushes for tight spots.

#3 ·
-i did mine flat black it stuck well and lasted till i sanded it down (2 years ish)
-i think thats what i used its on the can i think idk as far as thin goes i just gestimated lol
-had some problem with mine cloggin but again i gestimated
-they have primer in there brand i think i didnt use it
-3 qts is what i used had some left
-primer idk but i used 3 coats or maybe 4 in paint
-ull have to sand the primer down to get rid of scratches and overspray u should have to sand on the paint unless u run it or something

#4 ·
I sprayed parts on mine and it looks great.
IDK how much I used to thin it down, but I know this, once you spray the paint you need to clear coat it, or else it will fade away. mine has a whitetish haze but a little mothers wax and cleaner and it comes back like it was just sprayed. I must say that I did not clear coated mine therefore the haze. looks just like any automotive paint.

I only sprayed one coat(car is black) a thin coat, it comes out super easy with even 600 grit sand paper and running water very little water.

Will I do this again with rusto, IDK. I'm painting the car with Laquer and a clear coat of Urethane. CC is $35 @ gallon from Sherwin Williams. can't beat that! I'll spray my House's front door with Rustoleum and then spray CC. only time will tell how it will holds up.

IDK the thinning ratio, although I think I went with whats on the Rustoleum instructions can. Professional and regular are the same, only difference is that Professional recommends to use Acetone for thinning.
thats it. I think their topside(marine grade) is better though.

gl

#5 ·
I want to say I did 20% MS. You don't have to be dead on accurate, just eyeball it. If you think its too thick add some more MS, too thin more paint.
Roll/brush on really is the best way to do this though. You don't have to cover everythng in the garage, don't have to worry about inhaling the fumes. Less mess, less fuss

#6 ·
I would definitely spray it. I mixed mine 50/50 with acetone but I will probably have a little more paint next time cause after 4 coats I still sanded through it a little. But you should check out this link http://rolledon.forummotion.com/project ... x-t523.htm
I haven't tried the hardener like he did but thats next for me. I sanded after 2 coats with 1000 grit and 1500 wet sand paper. I didn't use primer cause you don't really have to.

#9 ·
If you're talking about the stuff you get at walmart, its oil based enamel so use mineral spirits.
Rolling will not expose you to the MS fumes. Yes MS is hazardous. Even the low odor stuff.
White seems to turn out the best. You could also go to tractor supply and get tractor paint. Its the same thing as rusto, which is ol based enamel but it comes in a larger color variety. The hardener made it dry faster.
10% is too thick if you're gonna spray and on the thick side of rolling consistency. It will clog your gun. Plus you can't just spray it all at once and be done. It has to be thin coats. Depending on how much you thin it, it could take as many as 10-15 which is another reason why i said rolling is better.
I'd rather just grab another brush than clean my gun every 30mins.
No need to prime. You can just sand and slap it on. It will need a cut and buff afterwards to hold a shine and will require waxing frequently to look its best. Mine is a track car so i really don't care.
Maybe try it on a spare fender or something first before you dive on in.

#10 ·
ok guys, so i have decided to do a semi-proper paint job.

instead of rustoleum, im going to the local auto paint store and getting a quart of white and a quart of black (house of kolor) gloss paint, along with primer, reducer and hardner. then im going to rough sand my whole car down, prime it and wet sand, then do like 2 coats of white, then the black trim, hood, mirrors, and lower half of bumpers (oem look), all with a spray gun. Will this turn out better, will it look better and last longer? its going to cost $150 compared to rustoleum's $40... :?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.