Honda CRX Forum banner

Help!! Glass Roof JDM CRX??

10K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  daveb91 
#1 ·
I originally thought a 1991 CRX Si was the rarest/best type of CRX out there. However, just this morning I stumbled upon a CRX JDM SiR that appeared to have a glass roof...? It was beautiful and the coolest CRX I had seen by far.

I tried to search for CRX JDM SiR's for sale but not much came up. Does anyone know the official model of CRX I'm referring to? Was it only manufactured in Japan? Are they even available here?

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Deeves

#3 ·
Glasstops are not available here, I'm fairly sure that was a japanese only option, BUT! and this is a large but... it may be a RHD and glasstop conversion.

Go ahead and go to your user control panel on the top of the site and choose profile. In there you can add your city/state or country.

#6 ·
Baker said:
Deeves said:
I tried to search for CRX JDM SiR's for sale but not much came up.
Really?

A simple overview
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CR-X
I should have been more specific. Sure things came up, but I couldn't find any for sale, and I didn't find a lot of information about them.

Thx for the help y'all. What about the EF8 and the EF7? What is that in reference to?

Thx.

#13 ·
AlexCRX said:
The best way to do it is drilling the spot welds...

I saw on another site(I don't remember which one) the guy glued it on his existing roof... in my mind this is a shame to do that
What? Glued the glass on top of a steel roof? Or glued the panel in after removing the stock panel? Using epoxy or glue is actually a very good way of installing the panel.

#14 ·
^^^ I know a guy that did it that way. Removed the spot welds from the glass top cut up the roof on his Rex and layerd the GT roof with some special type of adhesive and never had a problem. If I dont have the funds for welding this might be the direction I'll be going with.

#15 ·
no he glued the metal part over the existing one... without removing winshield... this is ridiculous

The guy edited his post on honda-tech and removed all his pics...

basically he didnt remove his existing roof, he cut it enough for the window roof to clear, and then he glued it over what's was left of his existing roof... crappy job!

the GOOD way to do it is to remove all spotwelds and remove the existing roof, then weld/glue the glastop

#20 ·
Layered method? Bah! What a lazy POS way to do it. If you don't have the resources or skill to do it correctly, find somebody who has them or DON'T DO IT!

That's the kind of car that will find it's way to eBay (or CL) then some kid will buy it, have all kinds of problems, and show up here asking for all kinds of help to fix his hacked up car.

#23 ·
asianflava said:
Layered method? Bah! What a lazy POS way to do it. If you don't have the resources or skill to do it correctly, find somebody who has them or DON'T DO IT!

That's the kind of car that will find it's way to eBay (or CL) then some kid will buy it, have all kinds of problems, and show up here asking for all kinds of help to fix his hacked up car.
Lazy! I think not good Sr. This method takes about the same amount of time and labor it does to weld it only reason Im considering doing it this way is because I dont know how to weld and Im not a big fan of paying some one to do things for me. I cant speak for other car owners who "Mod" their car and end up selling it just to get rid of their problem.

daveb91 said:
jfrolang said:
The overlap method is an established roof panel replacement procedure. It's even patented. It's not a "lazy POS" method, it's simply more efficient.
When done right, I can't comment on the H-T users build because I never saw it.
I agree!! (lol I didnt know it was patented)

Here are some pics that I got from another website, these are not mine.(mods Ill take them down if I have to Just let me know) This Rex belongs to SirMarlon who never had a problem with the install.
(all pics belong to SirMarlon)

Product used

Finished Product

He even tracked his car a couple of times with no roll cage and said it felt great. :)b

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.