Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided that the most cost effective way for me to get some torque was to go do the b20b and take the head from my b16a. I'm going to Autoadventure this weekend to get one unless someone else has a better place. To bring up the compression to something reasonable, I was going to get pistons and possibly rods if I need them, but I was concerned about 4 issues.

1)will the b20b stock block take increased compression and what level?
2)will I be able to run on pump gas or with little additive and at what compression?
3)do I need new rods and bolts since I heard the stock ones are not very strong?
4)I know the head bolts on with the ls/vtec type conversion, but a friend of mine told me that it would be better if I had the head bored out to the same 84mm size. Does it matter?

·
Registered
912 Posts
isnt a b20 just a bored out b18? i think thats why the sleevs are week, because they just thinned them for displacement. Dosnt really matter for there application, noone races CRVs

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
The b20 has a uni-sleeve design, thats why they are a bit weak.

b20b

b18b

Really just depends in the end how much you abuse it and how well you build it. NA, B20s are pretty good, Under boost, thats when your pushing it... But Im guessing your going NA because your seeking high compression...

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
CR-VTEC swaps seem to hold up fine as long as you don't rev past 7k. If you want to go higher, you'll certainly need to strengthen the bottom end. At the very least, use ARP head studs when you put it together.

Taking material away from the head will take away from your compression.

You'll be running a b16 ecu, which wants premium fuel. You don't need race fuel or anything crazy unless you're looking for stupid-high compression of 13:1 or more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.