Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was given this car by my dad for my 18th birthday and told it needs some work. I questioned him and he said that the timing belt had snapped while he was driving and that it probably needs a valve job and might need piston work along with a new belt. Since I am a total noob when it comes to fixing cars, I need some help. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'ts 2:30 am ,I'm drunk,your question is a bit ridiculous, because if your timing belt snapped you could have bent valves and all kinds of ****,blah,blah,blah..Long story short.New motor.later...sorry about your luck.No, really.don't try to start it.Go get yourself a new timing belt.install it.see what the motor sounds like.I used to have an 85 crx,but that's besides the point.A friend of mine snapped his timing belt and did no internal damage to the motor.He got lucky though.Either way,stock motors for that car are fairly cheap,so don't worry about it too much. 8)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Easy way to check for bent valves:

Take off valve cover

Turn cam manually, and watch the valve stems. They sould always be touching the cam as it rotates.

If any valves don't come all the way back up, it is bent. This means the valve was physicly impacted by the piston. This ruins alot of different things, basicly replacing the engine is your best bet at this point. Think D16a1, brown top.

HOWEVER - a broken timing belt isn't always catastrophic. I've heard alot of people who came out just fine after a broken belt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I've replaced the belt, but it still doesn't run, so I guess that a catastrophe was not avoided. I guess I'll check all the valves sometime this week, get back to you later.

Any estimates on an engine?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.