Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 1987 CRX for sale near me, for 200 dollars. but it has mechanical issues. The owner said the catalytic convertor would heat up red hot and the engine would start running badly. other than that the car is good. so i searched and found some blurps, but i wanted to see if CRX owners have come across anything like this... and know whats wrong. so far the possibilities i have come up with are:

poor tuning - obscenely rich.
the timing is WAY off
clogged cat. convertor
possibly a bad temp sensor confusing the ECU...that is...if it even has one. too old?

here is the seller's description:

"It has a new carb, radiator, all fluids, filters, good tires. When it run the catylitic converter heat red hot and the car runs rough. No fluid leaks of any kind. I thought about cutting the cat converter off and seeing if it will run better but I dont have the time. It also needs a rear brake job, temperature guage doesnt seem to be accurate and the fan doesnt kick on. The engine doesnt sound to bad. No knocking or anything. Hopefully this info was helpful. Make an offer."

I know its a pretty good deal, some may say awesome, but i only want to get it if i can fix it easy and cheap. he's fed up with dumping "thousands of dollars into it" and if i can buy a new cat or a temp sensor or get under the hood and tune the thing... i'll do that, have fun with it, and maybe sell it if it doesn't fit me well. i just dont want to get into a money pit or large expensive problems i cant fix myself. i have another car so getting somewhere isnt an issue for me. thanks everybody.

here are a few pics of it:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, but i dont own it yet.

i'm contimplating purchase.

thats thy i joined, and thats why i asked about the fix. if i can fix it myself for under 100 dollars in little time...its all mine.

but if its a bad problem or something i cant determine before purchase, i dont want the headache and money pit.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Easy fix sir,but you may not be legal depending on where you live.

I had a car with a plugged cat that did the same thing.If your willing to take that cat off of the car you can punch out the old element and reinstall the hollow cat and you will have fixed your concern.
Now this will most likely cause you to fail emissions(if you live in an area that still does that),but if not you have a fixed car for just the cost of time.
GL...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm in california...and yes that would be a problem, big one.

but you read his description and thats what you think is wrong eh? would the engine run allright until the cat got hot? i figured it would run like crap all the time...but let me know.

i could get a new cat for about...80 bux?

would it have to be welded up or could i bolt it up myself?

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
if the car is running with the wrong fuel mix, clogging the cat, even with a new cat you may be in the same situation after some time owning the car. even if punching out the insides of the cat was an option, the car could possibly fail emissions, plus have mileage / power issues still.

biggest thing that says stay away to me: if the current owner put all that money into attempting to fix the car and all it needs now is to have the cat hacked off, why wouldn't he/she do it, just to see?

your call man. it's too bad your in cali with their nazi smog laws.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Ragnaarok said:
biggest thing that says stay away to me: if the current owner put all that money into attempting to fix the car and all it needs now is to have the cat hacked off, why wouldn't he/she do it, just to see?

That's what I'm wondering. No one, I repeat, NO ONE would dump thousands into a car and then turn around and just say well its a bad cat or a bad temperature sensor that will cost me $100 to fix, I'm going to try to sell it with this problem instead of fixing it and making more money.

It happens, but boy is that rare. I wouldn't trust your luck for that to be the case.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
the timing is WAY off
clogged cat. convertor
possibly a bad temp sensor confusing the ECU...that is...if it even has one. too old?
Buy it. Hell for $200 you could part it out and get more than your money back if nothing else.

My simple diagnostic:
It probably just has a plugged cat. Get that replaced and then drive it around a bit in your driveway, etc... See what the cat does. By the sounds of [ The owner said the catalytic convertor would heat up red hot and the engine would start running badly ] it runs fine until the cat heats up. That tells me there's signs of it plugged or starting to plug that's causing it to run like crap. It's not allowing the exhaust to exit properly and that builds up and causes the rich running. Exhaust has some fuel mixed in still, and if it cant' exit the chamber will cause a poor mixture as well ad bad carb tuning.

As for the temp sensor, I'd have to assume it has one if it's got a temp guage on the dash (I'm not overly familiar with 1gens).

Same for the timing. If the timing belt jumped, it would run like crap all the time, not just when the cat gets red hot. I'd still lay money on the cat being partially plugged causing the majority of the issues.

And yes, a LOT of people dump big bucks into a car and sell it cheap over stupid issues. Like I said, grab it up fast before soemone else does. Part it out if you can't get the problem solved. Just don't give up on it. Even in CA, you CAN make it work with a little determination.

I know there was a huge thread about not sending members away, but as stated in the same thread, redpepperracing is a HUGE knowledge bank for the 1gen, and for something like this I would check there too.

Either way, GET THAT CAR! lol. It looks to be in great shape other htan that. Any rust?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
JustAnotherRex said:
Ragnaarok said:

That's what I'm wondering. No one, I repeat, NO ONE would dump thousands into a car and then turn around and just say well its a bad cat or a bad temperature sensor that will cost me $100 to fix, I'm going to try to sell it with this problem instead of fixing it and making more money.

It happens, but boy is that rare. I wouldn't trust your luck for that to be the case.
This is about where I'm at with my ranger... I've put almost a grand into it in the past couple weeks, and if its not the injectors I'm waiting on, then I have no clue WTF to do with it. Whatever does need to be done though (if injectors don't fix it), is probably going to be simple

·
Registered
111 Posts
mithuth said:
the timing is WAY off
clogged cat. convertor
Buy it. Hell for $200 you could part it out and get more than your money back if nothing else.

My simple diagnostic:
It probably just has a plugged cat. Get that replaced and then drive it around a bit in your driveway, etc... See what the cat does. By the sounds of [ The owner said the catalytic convertor would heat up red hot and the engine would start running badly ] it runs fine until the cat heats up. That tells me there's signs of it plugged or starting to plug that's causing it to run like crap. It's not allowing the exhaust to exit properly and that builds up and causes the rich running. Exhaust has some fuel mixed in still, and if it cant' exit the chamber will cause a poor mixture as well ad bad carb tuning.

As for the temp sensor, I'd have to assume it has one if it's got a temp guage on the dash (I'm not overly familiar with 1gens).

Same for the timing. If the timing belt jumped, it would run like crap all the time, not just when the cat gets red hot. I'd still lay money on the cat being partially plugged causing the majority of the issues.

And yes, a LOT of people dump big bucks into a car and sell it cheap over stupid issues. Like I said, grab it up fast before soemone else does. Part it out if you can't get the problem solved. Just don't give up on it. Even in CA, you CAN make it work with a little determination.

I know there was a huge thread about not sending members away, but as stated in the same thread, redpepperracing is a HUGE knowledge bank for the 1gen, and for something like this I would check there too.

Either way, GET THAT CAR! lol. It looks to be in great shape other htan that. Any rust?
+1. if that car was anywhere near me, I'd tell you not to buy it so I could :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Well, some people do but unless you're completely broke, running from the law, its stolen, or REALLY fed up with it, you shouldn't. I mean, it makes no sense to me -

If I had put thousands in and wanted out, I'd part it slowly for ~1/2 of what I'd put into it, try to sell it outright for a good sum to someone who could appreciate it, or take it to a mechanic who knew more about them than I did.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd say just get it. If you have a friend who's a mechanic, he can come tag along and make sure that nothing is overtly wrong. Then, if the cat doesn't fix the issue, just tear down and rebuild the engine yourself. You'll learn scores about your car and you'll spend less money. I'd almost say that no matter what the problem is (barring overt problems like knocking, ticking, etc), you can get the car running right and good for less than 6 hundred, if you do the work yourself.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
JustAnotherRex said:
Well, some people do but unless you're completely broke, running from the law, its stolen, or REALLY fed up with it, you shouldn't. I mean, it makes no sense to me -

If I had put thousands in and wanted out, I'd part it slowly for ~1/2 of what I'd put into it, try to sell it outright for a good sum to someone who could appreciate it, or take it to a mechanic who knew more about them than I did.
Lots of non-mechanical people that don't have a whole forum for support throw cash at a mechanic or at reandom parts to help fix a problem and often times miss the issue item and give up. I've seen it a ton of times.

My brother got a boat practically given to him since my uncle couldnt figure out WTF was wrong with the onboard motor and he had no idea how to work on it. So rather than send it to a shop, he sold it to my brother for a dollar and walked away from it. Two weeks later my brother put a 29 cent in-line fuel filter in it and it fired right up. A 16' Bayliner with an onboard 2.0(i think it was, can't recall) Ford motor for a dollar and 29 cents.

I just got a $600, 8000# winch for my jeep for $200, new in box too. The guy bought it for his race car trailer and never used it. It sat for a few years in his garage and I saw it while helping him. I asked aobut it and boom, it was mine for cheap.

Great deals fall in my lap all the time. I jsut dont have the know how to fix a lot of the mechanics, so I pass up a lot of good stuff.

I hope you got it by now. if not, it may be gone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.