Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone share an experience replacing a clutch on '87-'88 CRX si cars, such as procedure, what to watch out for, and product/brand used? I have an '87 black crx si and its clutch is getting hard to push.

Thanks

· Registered
1,853 Posts
Inspect clutch cable if its cable.
If the cable is dry inside a bit of oil can help. Look at some of the areas where the cable makes a turn it may be worn-out and starting to fray.
As for replacing the clutch, it should be easy as present vehicles.

Only difference would be the shift linkage part. If yours has the links like a 89-91 search the infamous bitch pin removal on Honda civics on you tube. Just a heads up, its called a bitch pin for a reason. Lol

Check you tube videos for a bit more detail.
Basically you want to remove everything mechanical( speedo cable, shift linkage or shifting cables which ever its used)and elctrical( back up light switch, transm ground strap if equiped) from the transm. Before removing the axleshaft facing the rear of the transm(whell hub nut)
Once its removed start removing transm. Bell housing to block bolts.

Again check YT, I'm sure thres a vid for 1st gens. Its a lot of typing to cover everything vs the video. Lol

Idk 1st gens but 89-91 loves clutch sets made by Exedy, even luk or sachs.

I got a stage 1 Exedy for my 90 a few years back on Ebay from gripforceclutches iirc, and its held up well till the head gasket decided to retire. Lol

Which ever brand you choose make sure to get from a reputable store. I remember seing fake exedy clutch sets back then when I was looking to buy mine. just a thought.

· Registered
1,853 Posts
It still sitting inside the garage. I got a D16Y8 from a junk yard and end up deglazing the sleeves, new piston rings and full gasket set, all new timing components.... Not what I was going for. But it is what it is.
Even a leaking capacitor from the p28 I got for it. But those were replaced. ( crossing my fingers).

The problem I'm having now is that I found power at the ground cable of the main relay. And ground at one of the yellow/ black cable on the main relay.
I need to find where both cables short circuited.
Not fun at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts