Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I started the K swap in my CRX in December.

This last summer my tensioner went on my H22 in my Prelude, and I decided that I really wanted to rip this car down and build it from the ground up. In the interest of a build, I needed a daily driver. This is when I picked up a clean 89 CRX Si (D16).

The paint is sun-faded, but NO RUST. It's very hard to find a car in WI that is 22 years old and free of rust. My boyfriend surprised me with a brand new stock suspension as well. The slow motor was just great because this was my daily driver while I built my 'lude. About five months ago, the D motor started missing and I knew something was up. I opened it up to find that there was soooooooo much blow-by. The spark plugs were covered in oil. Instead of ripping apart a 22 year old D motor, I said screw it. Out the D motor went.

In with the K20A! The following pics are of a K20Z1/A2 that I picked up. It needs a head job, and I didn't want to put the work into it. So, I decided to just grind my teeth, ignore my loss, and go for the K20A Type-R.

I've been picking up parts for the six months and got my car in to a friend at Piller's Auto Repair in January. He is going to do the swap for me. Unfortunately, I'm in college and I work. I'm moving from apartment to apartment and have no way to do this myself.

Here is my list of parts that are worth mentioning for the swap:

K20A Type-R
6 Speed Tranny (LSD - 4.7 Final Drive - Y2M3)
GM SyncroMesh
Royal Purple Oil
Hondata K Pro ECU
K&N Cone Air Filter
Yellow-Top Optima Battery
Purple PasswordJDM Battery Tie Down
K-Tuned Header
Fujitsubo Legalis R Exhaust
Walbro 255
BDL 70mm Throttle Body
Golden Eagle Fuel Rail
Aeromotive FPR w/ SS Braided Lines
Exedy Stage 1 Clutch
Fidanza 8 lb Flywheel
Hasport K-Series Axles
Innovative Traction Bar
Hasport Motor Mounts
Hybrid Racing K Swap Bolt-In Short Shifter
Hybrid Racing Weighted Chrome Shift Knob
Hybrid Racing Timing Chain Tensioner
K-Tuned Alternator Relocation Kit
K-Tuned 4-2-1 Race Header
Hasport Competition Series II Coil-overs
Purple Blox LCAs
Stock 06 RSX Shifter Cables
Stock Rims w/ Cheap Tires :)
(New rims and tires in the spring, as soon as I get the cash. )
91 JDM CRX Dash
CRX SiR Gauge Cluster
Seibon SiR Style Carbon Fiber Hood
Full wire tuck
Full brake tuck
Battery Relocated to the Trunk
Wiper Motor Relocated
Honda (2000) Type-R Phoenix Yellow Engine Bay

Dash is gone!

This started as a budget build that got really out of hand, and I'm running out of money fast...

boomplustoys.net. They said that my Fujitsubo Legalis-R exhaust began production in Japan in January. Having to pay this much, AND wait forever is quite depressing. But, it's really a piece of art... Waaaay expensive. It is supposed to be here by mid May, but who knows. I'm beginning to doubt that it is actually coming. I'm getting very impatient! This exhaust soooo better be worth the wait!

Mounts are welded, and the motor has been test fitted. I'm a poor kid, so I'm just painting the engine bay for now. This summer I will paint the rest of the car.

In relocating my battery, the CRX doesn't leave too many options. I've decided to mount it in the "trunk," tucked in the nook on the very back passenger's side.
Because I didn't want to have to deal with finding a sealed battery box, I'm just going to go with the yellow-top Optima, which they make sealed. (Obviously, I don't want any crazy gases in my cabin... This is my daily driver.)

I'm using this tie down. This all seems like an easy solution. :

Here is the Hybrid Racing Timing Chain Tensioner installed...

The CRX got picked up from paint on Monday, 4/25/11! :D This body shop does an amazing job, but they took their sweet time with the shave and paint, so it ended up being three weeks as opposed to the 2 tops that it should've been.

Phoenix Yellow, FTW!

Now that she's back from paint, building has commenced! :D

Just found out that K-Tuned sent me an alternator relocation kit and header for an Integra. :/ Building can't really go on without these, so there she sits!

Say whatever! Constructive criticism is definitely preferred! :wink:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SeeAreEcks said:
Damn good start. Wish I had thy motor instead of my a2. Oh well. Haha but can't wait till it's finished.
Thanks a lot! I can't wait either! :) KPro and a King Motorsports Dyno Tune should make it even more fun! :D

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Welcome to the community! I take it you're a girl because you said 'my boyfriend', good to see women can also have the crx passion :lol: The engine bay looks nice! I like that you're relocating the battery too, which seems very appropriate. Keeping the car red? Moar pics of the car :)b

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ohisofly said:
Welcome to the community! I take it you're a girl because you said 'my boyfriend', good to see women can also have the crx passion :lol: The engine bay looks nice! I like that you're relocating the battery too, which seems very appropriate. Keeping the car red? Moar pics of the car :)b
Haha, YES! I am indeed a girl! I just happen to love cars! :) ESP. the CRX! Well, my passion started with a 4th Gen Lude, but I just gave that to my little sister for her birthday! I want the engine bay to be as clean as "non-accessorized" as possible. Not keeping the valve cover OR the car red. This summer I am painting the entire car Phoenix Yellow. With the swap I had to get an SiR style hood, so I'm going with Seibon Carbon Fiber. When I get it painted this summer, though, I'm doing CF fenders and hatch as well. Bumblebee? lol I don't really like that term, but whatever! It is what it is. This summer I'm also affording a rear brake swap as well as some wheels, but as for now, she's going to stay her stock red on the alloys. Hopefully this will deter some attention as well. Stupid thiefs... I will get more pics as soon as I can, possibly Saturday morning?

This stuff is expensive. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can do a KSwap for 5k or less. BS. I know I'm doing a lot of extra stuff... But no way. If you have done a KSwap for less than 5k, you're a backyard mechanic. I think I mentioned earlier that I'm not doing it myself? I wish I could, but I live in an apartment and am in college. But, I did research and locate every single part going into this build. I DO know what I'm talking about, even if I am a girl! :p I hope you guys enjoy the few pictures that I do have! :) Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Great build its good to see a female making moves like this! That's gonna be one fast lil best how did u like the h22 I'm.there? I'm building A h22 crx right now

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Ive looked into doing the k swap at some point in the future too, the only company Ive found that makes an sir style hood for the usdm front end is vis. If you go with the seibon hood, I believe they only make the sir styled hood for the jdm front end. It may have changed since I last looked, but I dont think it has..

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Noice!! Welcome to the community. Diggin the yellow.

Does anyone know if the y-49 curse carries over with any yellow paint or is that just for the y-49'ers?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Nar said:
Noice!! Welcome to the community. Diggin the yellow.

Does anyone know if the y-49 curse carries over with any yellow paint or is that just for the y-49'ers?
Its mostly for us Y-49ers... but ya never know!!! Welcome to the site!! Another girl loving CRX's! Thats awesome! And your build plans are PHENOMENAL.... can't wait for the end result! Goodluck with everything! :)b

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know how to multi-quote on here... lol So...
@built716: That's a miss type. I copied this from another forum, and there it had my Prelude story as well! So, my tensioner went in my H22 in my 4th gen lude, and THEN I moved into the CRX world. Loved that motor, but just fixed it and gifted it to my little sister for her 20th. :)

@red89si: Seibon does make the hood. But, they do not list it anywhere. Kind of like the Fujitsubo exhaust, you have to know someone who knows someone who is willing to put in the special order.

@Ldo: Thanks! I love the color as well! (Obviously, right?! haha) I was scared about how bright it is, but my excuse = I'm a girl! :p

@Nar: Good then I went with Y-56? haha, What is the Y-49 curse?!

@REXzAcTLy904: Thanks so much! Should only be about three more weeks. Just waiting on a few crucial parts (hood and exhaust). After that, she just needs a dyno tune from King Motorsports, and then we're good to roll!

@Sharkin904: lol, Don't hate! It's going to be nice, but I've went through SO much to get a hold of it. The little earthquake stunt that mother nature decided to pull was NOT cool. It cause my exhaust to sit in Japan for an extra 2-3 weeks. :(

Thanks for all of the feedback! It's great to hear other peoples' opinions, good or bad!

·
Banned
2,708 Posts
Welcome and why are you so lucky?

My first and true love is the CRX and I have a 4th gen Prelude that I love on the side. Sorry about your auto tensioner going bad but maybe you would not be on to this awesome car and helping others out.

Cant wait to see more done to it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@THATREDCRX: Confused about your comment, ". . .Why are you so lucky". . . ? You're totally right about the tensioner! If it was not for that, I wouldn't have a CRX! AND I wouldn't have been able to give my little sister such an awesome Bday present! :)

@ScottMog: Agreed. Type-R FTW! The guy that did the paint for it does an AMAZING job. He owns 3 stripped and built Mini-Coopers that he repaints EVERY year. He also does everyone else's race cars in the area. Some guy with a Lotus walked through the shop, saw my bay, and had his ENTIRE race car painted this color. GO HONDA! :D

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
89crxk20 said:
@red89si: Seibon does make the hood. But, they do not list it anywhere. Kind of like the Fujitsubo exhaust, you have to know someone who knows someone who is willing to put in the special order.
Very useful information to pass on! I happen to know a seibon dealer who orders a lot from them(just got CF doors for his sc300 dragcar from them)so Ill have to see what he can do. Cant wait to see some pics of when its all together, its nice to see 2 chicks on the same board with crxs nicer than most of the guys I know who own one, and they both own yellow ones..

1 - 20 of 269 Posts