Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
126 Posts
Does the dash dim at all, any lights? you may want a multimeter to check resistance and for voltage. Recheck the wires to the starter and the actual ground wire, any place for corrosion (including the ground wire/bolt on the thermostat casing). If this is all bad, could be the ignition switch. The relay should go click, hum for two seconds, and click again (the hum stops.) this is sending power to the fuel pump. After this, power goes to the signal wire for the starter. Recheck the 12mm nut at the starter motor to ensure its connected right. Also look around like the casing and ground strap for massive amounts of dirt or oil that could impede power.

· Registered
126 Posts
My CRX died last week actually. Went to crank and heard a click, dash lights died. Could repeat after a minute. The starter motor, off the car, passed a test at autozone. When I reinstalled it, same problem. My point is if it tests well on a bench, then its either a signal problem to the starter, or a lack of current, ie poor grounds. I had mad corrosion on my ground wire (very green) and a crappy aftermarket positive terminal head I had to clean and will eventually replace. After all that, car fired up. Don't forget your ground from the transmission to the frame to the body, and if theres like a crapton of dirt or sludge/oil/grease on it as its not a terribly large wire on the CRX compared to the next generation Civic.

· Registered
126 Posts
^ This is true and a common issue of any 20+ year old honda with a manual transmission (also the brake pedal light switch).

If you can't get a plug at the dealership (they are soft plastic and around 3$), you can use two pennies and duct tape. Or unplug the switch and jump it with a paperclip for the time being.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.