Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few people have been asking, so I thought I'd make a post on the differences between the SE and the regular Si. First off, it is a Canadian model only, so it has pillar mounted seatbelts, just like your 88's in the US. Here are the other differences:

Rear CRX VT style spoiler
Rear wiper motor and arm to accomodate spoiler
Front lip spoiler
Leather wrapped steering wheel, same as CRX VT
Double DIN dash piece
Double DIN CD and tape combo
Painted mirrors and side trim.
Special Edition door decals
Special Edition decal on rear center taillight garnish.
NH-550M Vogue Silver paint.
Only 250 were made with consecutive VIN numbers.

A large portion of the CRX SE's were installed with options at the factory including: A/C, driving lights (fogs), arm rests, and power windows.

·
Registered
230 Posts
*whistles* have you seen any pristine ones for sale lately? im wanting one so bad...

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Devin said:
*whistles* have you seen any pristine ones for sale lately? im wanting one so bad...
Not lately...seen a lot of rusty ones. Rust is a big problem up here in Canada because of the winter weather and all the salt on the roads.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
theres a RHD on ebay if you want to shell out 5 g's for it. no engine and most the interior gone riding on steelies, not even an SiR. He claims to have an authentic mugen kit though, looks real in the pic but I would have to see in person before I believe it.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
50 of the SE's were sold in Quebec. Not every dealership in Canada got one. There were only 250 made. They all have consecutive VINs. Your VIN is within that range.

Here is a Honda internal document brochure that was distributed to dealers that received special editions for their showroom:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hmmm, well, I'm happy to know that I got one of the 250 made.

What is the VIN range ? So each time I see a SE, I'll check if the vin is > 250th

·
Registered
62 Posts
http://feature.crxresource.org/2001/jun1_featured.html

Read para #1:
Let's step back in time, back to 1991, to be precise. Honda has decided to drop the CRX from its line-up and as a bit of a send off, they decided to make a "Special Edition" of the CRX. What is so special about a Special Edition? Well first of all, we have the color, which is Vogue Silver. This is the only silver "Si" offered in Canada. All moldings including the mirrors were painted silver. Next, we have the SiR spoiler, leather wrapped steering wheel, Special Edition decals and a Radio/Cassette + CD player. As for the engine, it was the same D16A6 Si engine. The other appealing feature about the SE was its exclusivity. Only 250 were sold in Canada, 50 of which were sold in Quebec.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yeah, BIG BIG doubt on that 50 sold in quebec..

that can't be.. I mean common, Don, you have seen more SE than Ferrari's right ? how much laborghini sold in Quebec ? 50?

SE are not THAT rare...

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
35 million people in Canada. 250 CRX SE's.... that means that only 1 in 140,000 people in Canada have a CRX SE. I dunno, but that sounds pretty rare to me. And that's in a perfect world where all of the CRX SE's are still on the road. I've already seen 2 completely totalled in junkyards in my searches. I'm willing to bet that there are less than 200 of them still in existence today.

·
Registered
274 Posts
stickershop said:
35 million people in Canada. 250 CRX SE's.... that means that only 1 in 140,000 people in Canada have a CRX SE. I dunno, but that sounds pretty rare to me. And that's in a perfect world where all of the CRX SE's are still on the road. I've already seen 2 completely totalled in junkyards in my searches. I'm willing to bet that there are less than 200 of them still in existence today.
My point is that even if honda said they only built 250 SE, I still think that is not true. I see too many SE all year 'round to believe there are only a few undred left.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Synoptic said:
My point is that even if honda said they only built 250 SE, I still think that is not true. I see too many SE all year 'round to believe there are only a few undred left.
Since your certain the Honda is lying about the number of SE's out there, here's an idea for you. Every time you see one parked, write down it's VIN number. Here's a couple of numbers to get you started. Mine's 758 (issued in Ontario), my gf's is 577 (issued in BC), yours is 655, Wil's is 759 (issued in BC), and another friend of mine's is 756 (issued in Quebec). They are *all* within 182 numbers of each other. Honda states that the CRX SE's were all issued in one batch with consecutive VIN numbers, and that only 250 were made. If you can find a CRX SE that does not fit into within the number range that we've established then you may have some grounds for your argument. Have fun!

·
Registered
274 Posts
stickershop said:
Synoptic said:
Since your certain the Honda is lying about the number of SE's out there, here's an idea for you. Every time you see one parked, write down it's VIN number. Here's a couple of numbers to get you started. Mine's 758 (issued in Ontario), my gf's is 577 (issued in BC), yours is 655, Wil's is 759 (issued in BC), and another friend of mine's is 756 (issued in Quebec). They are *all* within 182 numbers of each other. Honda states that the CRX SE's were all issued in one batch with consecutive VIN numbers, and that only 250 were made. If you can find a CRX SE that does not fit into within the number range that we've established then you may have some grounds for your argument. Have fun!
LOL :)
Ok, i'll try to do that !
We have 2 SE's or 3 in our club, so i'll add them to the list.
Hey, wanna make a online list of the VIN ? everytime I see an SE, I will enter the vin into it, that could be cool !

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Synoptic said:
LOL :)
Ok, i'll try to do that !
We have 2 SE's or 3 in our club, so i'll add them to the list.
Hey, wanna make a online list of the VIN ? everytime I see an SE, I will enter the vin into it, that could be cool !
It would be an interesting idea. I have contemplated it before in the past. It would definitely answer this question once and for all: What exactly is the VIN range for the Special Editions? I'm guessing that it is 800550 - 800800, but we don't really know 100% for sure.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yup. They had every colour you wanted, so long as it was Vogue Silver. :lol:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Synoptic said:

that can't be.. I mean common, Don, you have seen more SE than Ferrari's right ? how much laborghini sold in Quebec ? 50?

SE are not THAT rare...
Bud, I did my research. They were not sold one per dealer as some will think. It is more a question of demand. 50 out of 250 is 1/6 of the whole run of CRX SE's. They are that rare. You will see a few up for sale every once and a while. Remember... just because it was sold in P.E.I. or Manitoba doesn't mean it stayed there. I bet that given the popularity if the CRX in Quebec you will probably have had a total of about 75-100 that were here at one time or another. Lets say for arguments sake that we only have 50 and that none left. If we put in the "lost" factor being the accidented and stolen ones, the car is now 15 years old. If we lost 1.5 a year that means there are presently 27-28 SE's left. Some people just grow out of the car and sell it even though they know what it is. It is not a practical family car. Hence why you will see on average 3-4 on sale every year. Remeber there are those people that TRY and sell them year after year asking too much and it never sells. It's not to say you cannot find one but rather you are going to have to jump on it. In 1 word you were lucky to get one. Most people knowing what they are will not let them deteriorate to the level most other CRX's will get. I will look up my serial number tonight to add to your list. I know we can officially delete 3 SE's from the list of 250. Mine, Joe Dixon, and Sticker knows of the 3rd.

How many here can say they were the 1st owner of their CRX? Not many. If we figure over a lifetime of a car say 15 years it will change hands an average of 3-4 times say 3.5. So if there are 50 x 3.5 divide that by 15 and take into consideration there is a loss of 45% of the SE's, you then multiply by 0. 45 = 5.249999... a year for sale... so it is possible. I was the 4th owner of my SE, 3rd of my 91 TG and 4th of my 89Si.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Don_the_CDN said:
Synoptic said:

SE are not THAT rare...
Bud, I did my research. They were not sold one per dealer as some will think. it is a question of demand. 50 out of 250 is 1/6 of the whole run of CRX SE's. They are that rare. You will see a few up for sale every once and a while. Remember... just because it was sold in P.E.I. or Manitoba doesn't mean it stayed there. I bet that given the popularity if the CRX is Quebec you will probably have had a total of about 75-100 that were here at one time or another. Lets say for arguments sake that we only have 50 and that none left. If we put in the "lost" factor being the accidented and stolen ones, the car is now 15 years old. If we lost 1.5 a year that means there are presently 27-28 SE's left. Some people just grow out of the car and sell it even though they know what it is. It is not a practical family car. Hence why you will see on average 3-4 on sale every year. Remeber there are those people that TRY and sell them year after year asking too much and it never sells. It's not to say you cannot find one but rather you are going to have to jump on it. In 1 word you were lucky to get one. Most people knowing what they are will not let them deteriorate to the level most other CRX's will get. I will look up my serial number tonight to add to your list. I know we can officially delete 3 SE's from the list of 250. Mine, Joe Dixon, and Sticker knows of the 3rd.

On another yet same note... How many here can say they were the 1st owner of their CRX? Not many. If we figure over a lifetime of a car say 15 years it will change hands an average of 3-4 times say 3.5. So if there are 50 x 3.5 divide that by 15 and take into consideration there is a loss of 45% of the SE's, you then multiply by 0. 45 = 5.249999... a year for sale... so it is possible. I was the 4th owner of my SE, 3rd of my 91 TG and 4th of my 89Si.
Allo, dépanneur ? I want a beer !!!!

Gotta love doing stats !! ahaha, ok well, you may have conviced me, but we still should put on a CRX SE Database. I can set it up on www.crxmtl.com with a very simple webpage. What about that ?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I bumped into a 60-something-year-old with SE number 692. His name is Andy. He was in Fairview of Vancouver. I chatted with him for awhile. Andy had some suspension and stock engine upgrades.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts