Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
When you say "1st Gen" do you mean a 1984-87 CRX, 'cause your signature says you have a 1988 which would be a 2nd Gen CRX.

The single best way to set any ECU is to disconnect the negative post of the battery. I like to count slowly to 10 and then return power. Pulling the "ECU" fuse is also good.

It is best to reset the ECU when the engine is at operating temperature rather when cold. Once the power is restored to the ECU, start the car and allow it to idle for a couple of minutes WITHOUT TOUCHNG THE GAS PEDAL.

Now, for your codes- I am going to bet that you are getting a #2 which is an O2 sensor warning. Replace the O2 sensor, reset the ECU and you should be OK.

The 1st Gen ECU does not have a "limp" option (the 1st Gen ECU controls fuel maps only, later ECUs control fuel and ignition timing). A later car in limp mode will run, but not well.

Scott

·
Registered
214 Posts
xxpaulcpxx said:
I thought "1" was thre O2 sensor?
I think it is a "2" but it very possible that I am wrong. This is why I ALWAYS refer to the factory service manual when I am working on my car.

Regardless, the O2 sensor is probably the most common reason for a warning light.

Scott

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

And yes, it is an 87 carbed chassis with an 85 fuel injection swap that I'm trying to complete. It just doesn't run the way it ran before I pulled the motor... and its irritating. I swapped everything over that I could swap over, so everything should [/i]be plug and play.

And looking at the ecu lights, the code converted or whatever from binary would be a 5, numbers 1 and 4 lit up. I also briefly had a code 3, 1 and 2 lit up. Both show up as MAP sensor codes... so I dunno. I runs very rich, and I don't know what to look for to diagnose.

After looking at the MAP sensor, which changed how the engine ran when I applied vacuum from a vacuum pump, I began to look at the fuel pressure regulator...and replaced it with one from an 88-91 Civic...with no change.

One last question... when (if) 1gen ECUs store two or more codes, how does it display them?

I thought "1" was thre O2 sensor?
I know this is for 2gens... but I'm not sure if that is a code for the 1gen...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.