Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AXLE NUTS

ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET THEM OFF DECENT, I BROKDE 3 3/8 RATCHETS, A BREAKER BAR AND A 1/2 RATCHET........... only got one of them off..... the other side is just spinning, with someong inside depressing the breakes, tranny in gear and the car on the ground

please help

·
Registered
633 Posts
One of my parts cars came from IL, good luck. I had to cut 4 sides off the axle nut before it even budged!
All my others come off relativly easyly. Impact or a Big breaker bar with a long extension, and car on ground.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Air tools man, air tools.

But you don't have them so...
Use a long bar on the wheel studs to hold the hub from moving, and get a breaker bar. I know, it's a royal pain in the ass to do. Make sure you punch the little tab out, it makes a big difference with hand tools.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You need a trigger Torch, propane. Yes, don't just get the crappy cheap kind.

Have all tools "ready".
Wave the flame on the axle nut for 3-4 minutes. (Get All/Any flammables out of building first.) Make sure wheel is on ground (obvious). You have to heat that s*%t up before it will come off! If it's old. Don't worry you won't melt the steel, or burn out the bearing seals.

Then put the tool on it with the breaker bar and it should twist off.

There's really no other way. Have courage.
:wink:

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
when the axle nuts piss me off too much, i just slit them with my dremel, then hammer them a few times with a cold chisel and then bam, they crack right off.

-M2

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok i like the cut the damn things idea lol, i will just take my drill to it cuz i don't have a dremel

my new ? is where can i get new bolts for it then?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
black_krix_si said:
put the wheel back on the car and put that side on the ground. its very diffficult to break one loose up in the air. Also get you a half inch breaker bar, the 3/8ths doesnt cut it .
i already snaped a 1/2 breaker bar on it too lol, and i am doing this while its on the ground.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
shadowcrx said:
black_krix_si said:
put the wheel back on the car and put that side on the ground. its very diffficult to break one loose up in the air. Also get you a half inch breaker bar, the 3/8ths doesnt cut it .
i already snaped a 1/2 breaker bar on it too lol, and i am doing this while its on the ground.
I used a commercial inpact hammer (double the usual force). My buddy modified his. On other things you have to be real careful because it will strip a bolt like nothing.

·
Registered
731 Posts
With an 1/8 inch bit, drill into the nut parallel to the axle. Once done, you can take a hammer and cold chisel and split the nut in half. Now you can just peel it off the threads.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Man, you don't need to cut the nut off or split it or anything. Look at the paint mark where they dented the edge of the nut in to keep it locked in place. You need to bend that back out, then put the car on the ground and use a 1/2 breaker bar. i just finished doing it on my *new* 89 that probably never had the axles off before.
I did this:
Got a nice big seni-thick flathead screwdriver. I hammered it a little into that spot where the nut was dented then i slowly and carefully worked it up and down just a little taking care not to bend or break the scredriver. Then I whacked it in a little further and repeated until it was as far back to normal as i could get it. Then I was able to use a breaker bar to get it off. I use Craftsman stuff, it might be slightly better than generic tools as far as strength. Anyhow, i'm a backyard mechanic with no air tools, and this has worked for me on two cars in thepast two weeks.

Good luck.

-Jason

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
I don't know, cutting them off might not be a bad idea. I had one so stuck on my car the air gun at the shop wouldn't budge it, and that thing takes the crank pulley bolts off without thinking twice. I ended up bracing it with the studs and using a 6' bar on a 3/4" (yes 3/4") ratchet. I bent the bar but it came off (piece of chain link fence post).
Just cut it if it's giving you that much trouble.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Man it will seem like nothing when you get to the crank pulley
Ain't THAT the truth!!!!

Dude, I'm telling you, heat, heat, heat.

You can get a new axle nut at the autoparts store. When i used to work for Champion Auto (years ago) they used to sell them in their "Help" section.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.