Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK do any of you think the Fit would come close to matching the performance of my 1988 CRX Si?

I haven't driven one yet... if they were to come out with an Si version of this car in 2008 I think my CRX might get retired...

It's almost 500 pounds heavier. About the same size and horsepower engine. Not sure how the boxy shape would contribute to the nimbleness. Probably a bit taller too...

I'm guessing the handling doesn't really come close on the Fit. The engine power curve on that new L series VTEC is a little different, no? Guess I'll have to test drive one to find out! That is, if I can find one.

Anyone else have any impressions about the Fit relative to the CRX?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I test drove an automatic (couldn't get a drive in a stick).

It's got less leg room (since it's a four seater), a little more head room, you're up higher. I didn't push it much, but it didn't feel as nimble or quick, but still very nice. I don't really consider it a replacement for a crx, but it's a fine replacement for the civic hatch/wagons (I like the latter better, tho).

If it had had two inches more leg room, I'd have bought a stick version instead of a rabbit.

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
There was a pretty good discussion about the Fit in this thread.

My opinion of the Fit is that it's a great little car, the best in its class. The handling is very good and the utility is top-notch. It retains the 'classic' feel of a Honda and is fun to drive. And, the Sport 5MT is the only one worth buying.

There won't be an Si version of the Fit anytime soon, but Hasport is apparently working on K mounts... :twisted:

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
jfrolang said:
My opinion of the Fit is that it's a great little car, the best in its class. The handling is very good and the utility is top-notch. It retains the 'classic' feel of a Honda and is fun to drive. And, the Sport 5MT is the only one worth buying.
My sentiments exactly. It is def a fun little car with lots of practicality.
The Fit is fun, but still is no Crx.

Honda should have toyed with the Insight platform a little more. Tweaked the body lines a bit and made a Crx inspired, 3 or 4 trim level lineup with that.

But overall the Fit essentially takes the place of where they Civic was 10-15 yrs ago.

·
Registered
849 Posts
baker423 said:
Honda should have toyed with the Insight platform a little more. Tweaked the body lines a bit and made a Crx inspired, 3 or 4 trim level lineup with that.

But overall the Fit essentially takes the place of where they Civic was 10-15 yrs ago.
No way with an aluminum frame. I had hopes of that hapening, but they all disapeared when I found out it was made out of aluminum.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
ppl seem to think the fit handles really well.

i think it seems to match the qualities of the EF hatch and wagon. moreso the wagon. as close to the ef hatch was to the crx, it (the fit) is just not a crx tho.

from what i gather from your earlier posts, you already seem to agree the 3dr UK civic which is built alongside the fit (jazz) is pretty much the closest thing to a modern crx SI as we know it. and if indeed you have access and means to ship one over and have it pass customs and registered, more power to you.

im just disappointed in honda veering from 4 wheel independent suspension, at least in their lower end and even civic models. making a "type-r" out of that uk civic is as much of a joke. im so glad honda cleared it up with the jdm civic 4dr type r.

as good of a car the fit is based on professional and personal reviews, it does seem overpriced for its size and power. i think its still hard to find a deal on those.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im just disappointed in honda veering from 4 wheel independent suspension, at least in their lower end and even civic models. making a "type-r" out of that uk civic is as much of a joke. im so glad honda cleared it up with the jdm civic 4dr type r.
Yeah whatever happened to the trademark Honda "independent wishbone suspension?" I guess Honda realised at some point that US consumers were so throroughly branded that it didn't matter what the car actually had in it anymore... they would just buy it anyways.

I called the dealer to get a test drive of the Fit... he was like "I have people lined up to buy it sight unseen... what do you mean you want to test drive it?" Then I asked him if he didn't think it was strange that Honda hadn't yet bettered their 1988 Motor Trend Import Car of the Year and he nearly spat out his coffee :lol:

Finally he tried to get me to test drive the automatic, saying "It has paddle shifting" and I asked him if I could get the CVT option they were selling in Europe. That just about finished off his patience.

Man, US consumers are stupid. The last Civic Si Hatch was in 2005, and from the reviews I read, sucked pretty badly. With the options Honda is offering now, it's no wonder Mazda 3s are selling like hotcakes and VW GTIs are making a comeback.

I suppose they might have a winner on their hands if they can get a hybrid engine into the Fit by summer... just in time for gas prices to skyrocket... but it still won't be that fun to drive.

It's almost like, hey, I might as well buy a 2005 Lotus Elise or a 2002 BMW Z3 coupe... as long as I'm not going to get better than 30MPG from any new car out there anyways that's any fun to drive at all... and seeing as how the s2000 starts at thirty-five freaking thousand dollars... either one of those two fine cars would probably last me 20 years into the future. They'd probably cost a lot more to run and maintain than my 1988 CRX though huh?

It's just sad that Honda isn't offering a competitive, practical, economical, populist sportscar anymore...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh and hey, sounds like you don't like the UK 2007 Civic Type R? Can you elaborate? The specs seemed really great on that car...

·
Registered
779 Posts
spartca said:
Oh and hey, sounds like you don't like the UK 2007 Civic Type R? Can you elaborate? The specs seemed really great on that car...
Well I don't know all the specs, but here's my take on that car:

Overpriced, way overpriced (adleast by what the article I read said) for what you get. It's hideous, very hideous. I'm assuming it will handle like a Type R more or less, and have a nice kick like the new Civic Si.

Now my take on the fit:

Awesome little car. Probably the closest car in Honda's lineup that even has a trace of what honda used to be (light weight, small engine, mediocre horsepower rating). I've seen a few K swaps already on HT in those. Making it a VERY worthy car if it had a K swap. It would like K swapping an EK hatch (weight wise). I would love to have a 100% stock fit, with beefy tires and a K swap haha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.