Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone here uses the 3 way function that some head units have (alpine). I have always used 2 way mode but I always think about trying the 3 way setup. So does anyone use the 3 way and is it way better or are there negative things about doing that?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
most people use a 2 way system........ 4 channels and a sub, a high/low crossover setup....... in a 3 way setup you use more expensive component speakers with low, mid, high range crossover points. The high being in the front, the mids being the rear and the low being the subs.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Going componant is going to cost you $$$, and in my experience it doesn't sound any better than a quality set of coaxial speakers. And after all, it is an automobile, with road/wind noises, plus engine revs, etc. So for those reasons I don't think it's worth it. Just purchase good coaxials and power them with an amp if you want more clarity and presence, especially if you listen a lot with the windows down.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I agree. Especially in a CRX. The acoustics in the crx aren't that great. They are ok compared to most, but not very good. With the hatch design, they make good bass machines, but I think it would take a ton of custom work to get a good, well balanced sound stage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
akirarex said:
most people use a 2 way system........ 4 channels and a sub, a high/low crossover setup....... in a 3 way setup you use more expensive component speakers with low, mid, high range crossover points. The high being in the front, the mids being the rear and the low being the subs.
just because i'm a big jerk, i had to respond to this, even though the thread is probably already dead, lol. if one had enough money for a balanced 3-way system, there is no way that person should by any means put the midwoofer in the rear. staging would go down the pipes and there went that whole investment. a true 3-way setup involves a tweeter, midrange and woofer--all of which should be placed in the front (usually there needs to be a kickpod for the woofer and a modification to allow the midrange, which is typically smaller than our 16cm door openings, to fit in the door).

and to answer the original question, my 2004 alpine doesn't have this feature so no, i don't use it :D

peace

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I already own component speakers and I definitely notice a large margin of clarity in the sound over coaxials. All of my channels are amped already-plus a sub. The physical requirements for speakers don't really phase me, I use a custom setup in the rear that can hold any size or shape speakers. The fronts are kinda modified mounts for the speaker in the door as well. But to purchase the real set of 3 way speakers is quite a jump in price over component speakers.

I can understand the staging would be off and the quadraphonic effect would be nill but I can definitely see how the quality of sound would be increased. I personally wouldn't want bass in the front of me anyways, I always crossover the front speakers at a higher frequency and a sharper db step than the rears. I like the pounding of bass in the back of the seat more than directed at the front of me. I don't think it would be that hard to balance the system overall. I have a db meter and the head unit takes into account all the physical placements of the speakers.

When I used a 3 way function on my surround sound system in the house it was clearer. So I was wondering if anyone ever did this in a car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
akirarex,

you're totally right that a 3-way set is a substantial step-up in price over a 2-way set. and when i switched from coaxes to components (and back) i definitely noticed differences in clarity and overall sound quality. the reasons for this, i believe, are numerous (most of which, however, have to do with the inherent qualities of components being...well, component)

first, it's no surpise that manufacturers use higher quality materials and manufacturing processes for their component speaker sets, which are typically positioned higher up the product line than the coaxial sets.

second, it's all about the crossover network. coaxial speakers typically have nothing more than a few capacitors, whereas in any decent-quality component set, you'll have at least an 18db/oct slope.

third (and this one does, actually, have to do with the component-ness of component speakers), the speaker placement in most cars isn't exactly optimal for creating a good listening environment. thus, being able to place the tweeters higher up is usually beneficial.

however, that contradicts one of the basic principles of acoustics--a single pointsource is always best.

a good compromise? something like a high quality set of coaxials (with a separate crossover) is a great choice. something like image dynamics chameleons, perhaps. uh oh, class is starting. haha. time to finish this post.

peace

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I read about putting the tweeter as close to the woofer as possible, no more than 6 to 8 inches from the woofer or you lose imaging.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.