Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I couldn't find 3M Window Weld at Home Depot here in Canada, but they had a similar black polyurethane product in a tube that is used for window and shingle sealing. I am thinking about filling my stock rubber motor mounts with the polyurethane to stiffen things up a bit. Has anyone else done this to their vehicle? Does it increase vibration to the cab significantly?

·
Registered
293 Posts
i did it before. using window weld. i didnt think it was worth the time effor or money. the window weld take like a day or tow to completely set up. when u fill in such a big hole. and im not sure if the stuff from home depot will work. i never used it.

i would recomend to just pick up a set of motor mount insterts.. there only like 20 bucks and they make it alot stiffer. and it does give you added vibrations at low rpm. nothing you cant handle though.

scarponze

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did the window weld stuff make a difference? I was reading that you should insert the stuff in layers to speed up the drying process. I'm not looking to make it ultra-stiff, since this is a daily driver. Just looking to add a little more response off the line.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That stuff does an excellent job! I used it for my motor mounts. Its in a white tube if im not mistaken..

Clean the mounts really well, then let it dry for 3 days! And watch your wheel hop disapear

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WayFastWhitie said:
That stuff does an excellent job! I used it for my motor mounts. Its in a white tube if im not mistaken..

Clean the mounts really well, then let it dry for 3 days! And watch your wheel hop disapear
Did it increase vibration to the passenger compartment? Or is the polyurethane still soft enough to dampen the engine vibration?

·
Registered
6 Posts
just do the front and rear mount, leave the tranny and drivers side mount.

Its not all that bad, my rear view shakes when im sitting at a light though.
EDIT: Just do 1 mount at a time ;)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WayFastWhitie said:
EDIT: Just do 1 mount at a time ;)
Well, the front mount is brand new, so I'll probably start with the back mount. Is it safe to drive without the rear mount? (since it's going to take 2 - 3 days to complete)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that I have the rear motor mount off the car, I'm going to go ahead and do this upgrade. I'll let everyone know how it is in about 3 - 4 days (once the polyurethane dries enough for me to reinstall the mount).

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have finished the install. What a PITA!!! I was unable to tighten the rear motor mount bolt down all the way, but I'll take care of that later when i have the tranny out of the car next month.

As for results, if you can bear the pain and suffering of removing the rear motor mount, I would say go for it. You will need at least 3 days for the polyurethane to cure before reinstalling the mount. My wheel hop has decreased significantly and my throttle response is definitely faster. I have even noticed a little difference in the suddenness of brake response. However, please note that this upgrade will cause buzzing and vibration in the passenger compartment at certain RPMs. I knew this before I started the swap, and chose to only do the front and rear motor mounts. I'm happy with the semi-race car feel that I got from the upgrade.

If I had to do it all again, I would go to the wrecker and buy a couple of motor mounts for $10 and put the polyurethane in those ones. That way I wouldn't have to be without a car for 3 days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts