Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. is it just me, or is anyone else starting to catch themselves using older slang from the 80's early 90's?

Ive been saying.. "Awesome" way too much lately.. and I had to really step back for a minute when I caught myself describing something as RAD!! :shock:

I cant stop either.. It just flows out of my mouth like Its 1987 again...

Rad
Sweet
Awesome

its got to stop! I called somebody a "goob" (short for goober) the other day..

anyone else here having this affliction?

sneak

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have an annoying problem with saying the word "dude" a lot. But I tend to use it more as a noun. Don't know if it is an old habbit from the 80's or I have just been watching way too much Big Lebowski.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The word "Groovy" was a problem for me nearly 40 years ago. "Man" was a catch-all for a while in the late '70's. "Fer Sur" was an '80's thing. In the 90's it was "Yes dear." These days it seems to be "Which part of 'No" didn't you understand?"

Scott

·
Registered
734 Posts
joshman said:
I have an annoying problem with saying the word "dude" a lot. But I tend to use it more as a noun.
I don't really know anyone who uses it as anything BUT a noun...I suppose it's sort of an interjection at times, but it seems pretty obviously a noun to me.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
"Dude" and "cool" are timeless. I don't know if it's 80's or just a New England thing, but I say "wicked" (as an adjective) way too much. When I hear someone else say it I usually ask if they are from New England, and if they aren't they say it because their best friend/significant other/roommate is.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Do I still use 80s slang? F**kin'-A I do, totally! :) Of course, I still use "groovy", too, but that's a conscious effort on my part, just to see how people react to it.

Since Napoleon Dynamite came out, I find myself using "sweet" and "dang it" more. And calling people Po-daggit. :) I'll use just about anything for slang if it strikes me funny; stuff from movies, commercials, books, cartoons, whatever.

Some of the slang in the series Firefly has made it into my everyday speech. Shiny (cool), gorram (damn), and ruttin' (f**kin') have all been said by me in everyday conversation. This usually results in people looking at me strangely. But I'm used to that. I'll even blurt out a bit of Mandarin once in a while, if it seems appropriate. Or not. It's not uncommon to hear me working on the car, saying things like, "This gorram ruttin' piece of go se (garbage, junk)... This le tse (s**t) is disturbin' my calm, and that just ain't shiny, do ma (understand? are we clear?)".

But I'm weird like that.

Mike

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I use "dude" as well. My university students don't hate it.

Also --

"Open a 24 oz can of whup ass"
"radical!"
"totally"

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
That is like totally tubular! :lol:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Born in the 80s grew up in the 90s, sweet, dude, awesome are natural to me :p

·
Registered
731 Posts
Charles said:
I use "dude" as well. My university students don't hate it.
Uhhh, does that mean we have a resident professor?

Me? Well, a good portion of the "peeps" I associate with are either from "da hood" or are hip-ish (meaning with the trend) so I'm conditioned to "dawg" "wat up yo" and "oh snap" or "tite tite" or "datz da sh** yo" or "nawmsagn" etc. etc.

Oh and I use dude too but only as a noun. I can't stand it when my gf calls me dude.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Ok I know I'll officially be old after asking,but I just gotta know.
What the heck is "nawmsagn"? :?

·
Registered
731 Posts
It's the way you'd write out "know what I'm saying" when pronounced in it's ghetto symmetry.

NAWMSANG?

·
Registered
634 Posts
I think you're referring to 'faced. As in, "Duuuude, me an' freakboy were SOOOOOOO baked last nite. I mean, we were totally 'faced, cuz."

Nawmsang? Yo, a'ight.

Can't say I've ever really used "dude" as anything other than a noun. Okay, maybe an exclamatory ("Whoa! DUDE!"), but certainly never as a verb. How exactly would you "dude" someone, anyway? And would it result in a.... erhem... uh... "brokeback"?

Mike

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
heh brokeback. :shock:

some time ago I started saying "fo' shizzle" as a joke around a couple of my friends. then I started ending certain words with "izzle". It became more and more often that I "izzled" in everyday conversation until I had to make a concious effort to stop. Every once in a while I'll still let out a good "fo' shizzle!" when something good happens, though. good times. 8)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts