Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d love some help. I have an 84 crx that I would love to enjoy but I’m starting to hate.

it was flooding like crazy so that the spark plugs would drip fuel and the engine would not even turn over. I would remove plugs, sop up the gas from the carb, air it out, and try again.
Rebuilt the carb. Same problem
Ordered a rebuilt carb. Same problem.
Any advice on why I’m getting way too much fuel in the carb and cylinders?

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I have never worked on a 1st Gen CRX but have paged through the service manual. The vacuum system on those cars is about the most complex of any car so there are plenty of possibilities for problems. As I recall there are even a couple electrical controls to the carb from a rudimentary ECU.

Your best bet is to chase down a copy of the 1984 Civic CRX factory service manual. It has many pages of detailed step by step trouble shooting steps for the carb and all it’s vacuum systems. You want the factory manual not Chilton or Haynes. The factory manual has a fairly plain cover that is an off yellow color with brown lettering. There is a companion Electrical trouble shooting manual that has the complete wiring diagram for the car.

eBay or other used book outlets are good places to find the manuals. Or you can go to <helminc.com> for Honda authorized reprints.

Mike

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Did you (or someone) do anything to the car before it started behaving like this?

Did you check the fuel pressure to see if it was in spec?

Did you check the carb floats when you had the carb apart? Did you inspect stuff when you did the carb rebuild, or just swap parts out?

How's the ignition system? In good shape? Adjusted correctly? (Dwell if that is settable, timing.)

Compression good? Valves adjusted to spec?

--DD

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
A fuel pressure regulator check won't hurt either.
Trace all carb vacuum hoses back to its respective solenoid, make sure the solenoids are good electrically. Make sure air will flow through solenoid fittings when it is supposed to, you will have to try sucking/blowing air through the solenoids fitting at both energized position and no power condition.
Also make sure all vacuum hoses have free air flow.

If the carb is flooding as soon as the key is into ign position, check the float is calibrated as per Hondas specs. Float is not taking on fuel, inlet needle and seat, fuel pressure regulator, return line(if equipped) is not clogged up or pinched/kinked.
Any electrical components should be tested individually. Dont quote me on this one but is there an electric macroinjector by any chance? -> choke replacement.
Inspect choke mechanism as well. Specially if its electrical.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'll start working through this. I noticed today that it's dripping fuel from the charcoal canister. Is there a check valve in there? Maybe I'm getting fuel back in. Any body run into this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, the update today is the carb looks good but maybe the diagphram in the fuel pump has failed and fuel is leaking into the engine from the fuel pump. New pump coming in tomorrow. Put the pump on, change the oil, and then start on the carb adjustments

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Have you verified that the pump diaphragm is the problem? Removed and examined it?

--DD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts