Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Ive been snooping around this forum for a while but finally logged in today!

The car...

My grandpa bought the 86 crx si back in 98 for 500 bucks. Everyone in the family chuckled at the thought of the little car and didnt appreciate its appeal. However, I took a strong liking to the car and the crx remained a point of interest between the two of us that brought us closer over the past couple of years.

My grandpa passed away in December and left the crx to me. I wouldnt sell the car for anything and am now seeking to make the renovations we always chatted about but never got around to working on!

I am at work now and can not post pics of the car but I'll briefly speak on a few key issues...

There was a fuel leak when i got the car but was easily corrected with a replacement o-ring on the end of the fuel rail. The car runs decent but idles very funny. The needle surges constantly between 1000 and 2000 rpm : up down up down up down. However, when I press the brake pedal the idle falls to 1400k and purrs... what gives!? Brake booster??

The plastic on the car is not looking good. Fenders and nose panel are cracked but I have located sufficient replacement parts on the net. Searching this forum... I can not figure out about the door panels. Both the actual plastic sideskirt and the large plastic "cap??" on the door are cracked... I can not find replacement parts easily for the large plastic piece on the lower half of the two doors. Can the plastic sideskirt / door cap be removed and look ok?? Do they need to be replaced, if so where can i locate this inaccesible parts?

Ill leave it at that: weird idle and plastic panels on side.

Certainly more upgrades and modifications to come as well.... wheels, tires, dropping a 1g crx, body prep and paint, new carpet, seats, etc.

Glad to be here. Ive got an 05 loaded white rx8 that will not even get $1 until I get this crx to where id like it... that surprises even me.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
[

PHATBOYS THOUGHTS
altinator maybe or a vacume leak sounds like a vacume leak since you say it stops when you press the brake and doing so creats vacume for the booster
PHATBOYS THOUGHTS
for the door caps,no you cant just remove and have it look good either buy steel and weld in steel or go to a pick and pull and find the best set there
as for the skirts same thing go to a pick and pull and buy a set
but really check out redpepperracing ive been a memeber for a couple years and it is great and im sure someone on there can get you a set or sell you what you need

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
I Own An 86 First Gen Too :D :D :dance: ... I Have Nothing Helpful to add at all.... Oh... but for parts I have always gone to Honda(#1) or wrecking yards for stock 86 Parts, unless its something important... like brakes... dont go to the wrecking yard for those.... First gens are hard to find parts for (In Canada Anyways, Even Honda doesnt carry some parts for them anymore)... So Thats My suggestion for You! :p

·
Registered
429 Posts
redpepperracing.com is a GREAT source for 1st Gen info. As far as the plastic on these cars, they are hard to find, I don't believe Honda stocks them anymore. You can't just leave the door cap off without replacing it with something. Keep an eye on ebay and junkyards - although it's hard to find plastic trim pieces (or header panels and fenders) without cracks in them. Good luck with it and go join RPR. :wink:

Sorry about your grandpa, I lost mine back in 2000 and I still miss him everyday. :(

·
Registered
474 Posts
All of the luck in the world in finding everything you need for a 1g, I hear it can be a quite a task. I don't really have anything important to add other than if you want a beer and are ever in Md, hit me up.

Sorry to hear about your g-dad, mine's getting near that point himself. Hopefully the CRX will be a bright light for your memory of him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: Snagged some ls mesh wheels / tires off an integra two nights ago. 205/50/15 barely squeezed in there but they look great! wheels are painted gunmetal and have polished acura center caps. going to look REALLY good with some fresh black paint.

still looking for all above mentioned body pieces, keep yalls eyes peeled at junkyards, etc.

thanks!!

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
As for your idle concern try this-Remove the large diameter vacuum hose and plug it off.See if this changes your idle.If it does I'm willing to bet you have a leak in your booster vacuum hose.LMK

As for the panel questions. hmm....I may have to keep a close eye on 1G's in the local yard.Any idea what panels/parts that are most desired?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
those id most like to find on here are the door caps and side skirts for sure... fenders and header panel can be had cheapily in the aftermarket.

Does the 1986 crx si have the same exact side skirt (differant paint obviously) as the hf, etc. models!? might have a location on an hf sideskirt.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
all the door caps are the same ,but the skirst are diffrent form si to hf and dx the si ones flare out a bit and the hf/dx ones dont ,but bolt up the same
here are a few pics to show you what i mean
on this car there is ??? and the side moldings are diffrent from 84/85 to 86/87

and see how ther isent on this one ???and here is another option for door caping if you dont wan the plastic anymore (im going to do this soon

he just had a shop put steel there ,but anyone with some steel and time can do this :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.