Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am extremely new to anything CRX, and only know basics in terms of automotive knowledge, but I will try to be as detailed as possible in describing my issue.
I recently bought a red 87 CRX Si in decent condition; running, a rough idle, cosmetically imperfect but certainly not an eyesore.
I drove it about 200 miles the day I bought it to my hometown. It got a little warm going uphill, though never reached H, and I noticed the fuel economy was not spectacular (about 140mi on half a tank). So I thought I'd do some tuning up.

After stopping by the auto parts store, I sit down and try to start my car. Super amateur mistake; I left the clutch engaged, in 2nd gear, and tried to turn the engine. It jolted, stopped, and I pressed on the brakes. Turned the key "Off" and thought about how silly that was. Pressed the clutch pedal, made sure it was in neutral, and tried to start again. But now no lights are coming on when the key is turned. No power to anything. Not even the hazard lights are working.
I'm on a downhill road, so I thought maybe the battery died and I'd try to give it a rolling start. I give it some momentum, pop the clutch; the engine turns, but still no lights, no throttle response. I brake, find some curb, and mourn for a moment.

A few days later, I went ahead to clean the battery terminals, replace my cap and rotor, and spark plugs. A neighbor offers to help jump start my car with a portable starter (the battery reads "good"). When he connects it to my car, the lights are on. The moment I turn the key to start, nothing happens. I couldn't really hear for a starter solenoid clicking, but I'm also not sure where that would come from.

I checked all my fuses in the box under the dash; all good. I checked the 3 large fuses under the hood above the air intake (45/45/55A) and they're all good too.

Any idea where I should go from here? I really like this car and want to make it work. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I may have misspoke

I feel that the real issue is not with the starter, or ignition, but something fundamentally electrical. The cabin light won't turn on, the dash lights sometimes come on, but are only dim. I don't hear the fuel pump activating when the key is inserted and turned. Not even the hazard lights will come on. SOMETIMES (such as when a jump starter was connected) the dash lights will be on, if but dimly lit, and the hazard lights will flash instead of merely buzzing.

Please help, I have to move my car soon to avoid a parking ticket.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I may have misspoke

I feel that the real issue is not with the starter, or ignition, but something fundamentally electrical. The cabin light won't turn on, the dash lights sometimes come on, but are only dim. I don't hear the fuel pump activating when the key is inserted and turned. Not even the hazard lights will come on. SOMETIMES (such as when a jump starter was connected) the dash lights will be on, if but dimly lit, and the hazard lights will flash instead of merely buzzing.

Please help, I have to move my car soon to avoid a parking ticket.
Does your crx have under the dash fuses? I would look at those too... this does sound like an issue that is electrical. I would also check your battery with a volt meter... it sounds something like super simple...and it usually is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does your crx have under the dash fuses? I would look at those too... this does sound like an issue that is electrical. I would also check your battery with a volt meter... it sounds something like super simple...and it usually is.
I just got a multimeter and checked the battery; the battery is good (12.6) but the wires just beyond the positive terminal are reading 0.03V. Here's a picture of the terminal 😆
I just cleaned them with baking soda and water the other day. On my way to the auto parts store for replacement terminals, if I don't update assume I'm busy enjoying my revived CRX 👌
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Wood Metal

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, yes, I checked all my under dash fuses and they all look good!
Are the relays connected there for turn signals?

There also seem to be some unused pins, is that normal? Circled in the picture below.
Font Rectangle Parallel Diagram Engineering

·
Registered
50 Posts
Also, yes, I checked all my under dash fuses and they all look good!
Are the relays connected there for turn signals?

There also seem to be some unused pins, is that normal? Circled in the picture below. View attachment 1075
.03v on a positive wire coming off the battery is a problem, but easy fix. Those empty fuse pins can be used as a aux power source. If you check some of those, you should find some are live 12v source and some are switch on 12v source. At least my 88 is with those pins.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Grab a wire brush while you're at the auto parts store! They even sell specific battery terminal brushes which have a bottle-brush thing on one side and a ring with bristles on the other. You use the one end to clean inside the clamp, and the other to clean the battery post.

Clean shiny metal conducts much better than old corroded dirty metal.

--DD

Reactions: SoFLO88CrxSI
1 - 8 of 8 Posts