Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DOes anyone know if 87 teg pistons will work in a d16? I think they are slightly lower comp than the pm7/p29 yes? But are the valve reliefs adequate? Are these going to raise my compression over that of my a6 pistons like the pm7/p29?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, they're PG6B. Pics and stats on them can be found here. I'm basically wondering if with a piston to deck height of 0.00 for the PG6B in a d16, if the valves will hit the piston, especially if i was to use an aftermarket cam.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
Pics and stats where?

I was under the impression that D16A1 = P29. And of course, D16A1's were in all 86-89 tegs.

So here's what I found out: PG6B's have a dome of 1.5cc and a compression height of 30mm. This will produce a compression ratio of approximately 10.5:1 if the piston-to-deck clearance is zero. I don't believe you'll have problems with the valves hitting, at least not with a stock cam. People do use P29's/PM7's after all without problems. With an aftermarket cam, I know of no way to tell without knowing the exact clearance with the stock cam, and the extra valve lift on the new camshaft.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Good luck finding the pistons from an older teg, you're probably more likely to find some pm7s/p29s. For the record, PM7s came in the 88-89 tegs, not just P29s. I know this because my pistons are PM7s and I pulled them myself from an 89 Integra RS. P29s are, as far as I know, the later replacement pistons for the PM7s. You can order a new set from Honda for $40 each. Part number is 13101-P29-000, you can see them here at DelRay Acura.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i saw a set of 87 pistons and rods on ebay for 10 bucks, but i didn't check them in time and i missed out. oh well, no biggie, i don't have money to spend for another couple weeks anyway.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I bought a set of those for 10 bucks. They work great and I don't have any valve clearance issues. There is some pinging that I have tuned out with the dizzy retarded. I also am going to tune the pinging out with CROME.

If you want to run an upgraded cam, you will need to have the valve reliefs fly cut. I am going to end up doing this.

I have heard the P28 pistons are better (you can run bigger cams with no issues) but for 10 bucks, it sounds like a good deal. Make sure there are no sharp edges on the tops of the pistons, this will aid in detonation.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Dren, you're running the older 86-87 teg pistons? I thought you had PM7's as well. I haven't heard about needing to cut the valve reliefs deeper, but I have heard that the older pistons are a little better because of their shape, they aren't as prone to detonation. What cam are you looking at running?

·
Registered
778 Posts
downest said:
Dren, you're running the older 86-87 teg pistons? I thought you had PM7's as well. I haven't heard about needing to cut the valve reliefs deeper, but I have heard that the older pistons are a little better because of their shape, they aren't as prone to detonation. What cam are you looking at running?
yeah...i thought they were pm7's until i saw a picture (i didn't know much about them at the time and just saw they were from the late 80's teg). I am wanting to run the crower stage 3 cam. that's the plan for the head i bought off of you. i heard you need to cut the valve reliefs for a big cam (but not for the regular Z6/Y8 cam). the valve reliefs in the pistons are for the integra motor, not for the Z6 head.

i had a little pinging over the weekend so i need to bust out my CROME and tune her a little better. i'm fixing up my old school laptop (p2 366mhz) to run CROME and get it going. hopefully it works out. it doesn't ping until the higher rpms so i'm guessing the fueling is off a little too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.