Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I see questions regarding what you can and CAN'T use between the two. Figured a running list of some parts might help some folks out.

Feel free to add more or correct!

Civic parts that WON'T fit a Crx properly:
-Fenders
-Corner lights
-Front & rear bumpers
-tail lights
-90/91 bumper lights
-bumper support
-seats
-gauge cluster cover( from Civic Sedan)
-doors
-door and side glass
-climate control
-Windshield
-ashtray
-mirrors
-rear hatch shocks
-front mud/splash gaurds
-moonroof
-moonroof/sunroof visor
-exterior side mirrors

Civic parts that WILL fit the Crx correctly:
-Hood (from 88-91 Civic hatch)
-88/89 bumper lights****
-door panels*** (from a Civic hatch)
-gauge clusters*
-gauge Cluster covers* (Civic Hatch)
-steering wheel
-headlights**
-glove box
-OEM clock
-FULL dash
-Steering column (hatch for sure, not certain on sedan or wagon.)
-Shift knob/shift boot
-Left & right side dash vents
-Lock assemblies
-Exterior door handles
-Suspension
-mechanical items from firewall forward
-Gas door
-Oem armrest
-Radiator suports (Civic hatch)
-Wiper arms
-Wiper Cowl
-light bulbs and connectors
-wheels
-hood cable
-floor mats
-spare tire assembly (jack, wrench, lugs nuts)
-rear splash guards
(90/91 hatch splash guards on 90/91 Crx)

*88/89 gauge clusters will not interchange between 90/91 without some modification due to the difference in shape of the cluster.
Gauge cluster covers differ due to the shape and size of the cluster. You must use the appropriate cover with the correct gauge cluster. 88/89 cluster will not fit correctly with a 90/91 cover and visa verse.
88/89 cluster plugs are different than 90/91.

**The actual glass headlight housing is the same between 88-91, it's the mounting brackets that differ.
88/89 mounting brackets differ slightly from the 90/91's.
Therefore, 88/89 Civic headlights are interchangeable with 88/89 Crx, 90/91 Civic lights interchange w/90/91 Crx.
Since the actual headlights are the same, you can use 88/89 lights on a 90/91, but you'll need to swap the 90/91 mounting bracket onto the 88/89 light. Same can be done if you're using 90/91 lights on a 88/89, just swap the bracket for the year of the car.

***Door panels
88-91 door panels are directly interchangeable between Civics and CRXs, as long as you match the seat belt style.
To be extra clear, when I say Civic, it refers to the hatchback. Sedans and wagons will not even come close to fitting.

Pillar mounted belts:
ALL non-USDM 88-91 Civic/CRX
USDM 88-89 Civics (Si has pockets on each panel)
All USDM '88 CRX (Si has pocket on driver side panel only)
USDM '89 USDM CRX HF

Door mounted seat belts:
USDM '89 CRX Dx/Si
USDM 90-91 CRX and Civic

Door panels with the same seat belt style are a direct swap.
For example, if you have a 1991 CRX you can put 1990-91 Civic panels in, or likewise if you have an '88 CRX or '89 HF, you can put any non-USDM panel into it as well as 88-89 Civic USDM panels.
Pillar belt style panels have the pocket at the bottom, and can be swapped into door belt cars with minor mods as shown above.
In closing, this should be easy!
Follow one rule:
88-91 door panels are directly interchangeable between Civics and CRXs, as long as you match the seat belt style.

**** Bumper lights from an 88/89 Civic will fit the 88/89 Crx bumper cover. 90/91 Civic bumper lights will not interchange with the Crx.

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
downest said:
Baker, I'm pretty sure the door panels don't swap, along with the glove box.
Civic hatch door panel in a Crx

The difference between the Crx doors and Civic hatch doors is the window frame. The CRX slopes down at the rear of the door, which does not affect the door panel.

http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t ... oor+panels

Glove box i am not 100% sure, can't recall if i have used one from a Civic hatch to replace a Crx one or not.

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
downest said:
Cool, good to know. Should sticky this...
I thought this would make a good sticky.
Ppl are always looking for Crx parts and it's good to know what will fit and what won't.
In my experience, finding a 2nd gen Crx in a yard is somewhat hard to come by, a Civic hatch is a good alternative, if the parts interchange.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
baker423 said:
ludesrv said:
The full dash can be swapped in from either or civic and CRX. Along with the front seats ;) .
I didn't think the seats could be swapped without modification.
Civic seats will not just drop in and bolt up and vise versa.
Yup baker is right. Let's keep the list to things that bolt on... a LOT of stuff will swap if you do serious modification.

Baker, can you edit the main post as stuff is added, to keep it together?

·
Registered
779 Posts
downest said:
baker423 said:
ludesrv said:
The full dash can be swapped in from either or civic and CRX. Along with the front seats ;) .
I didn't think the seats could be swapped without modification.
Civic seats will not just drop in and bolt up and vise versa.
Yup baker is right. Let's keep the list to things that bolt on... a LOT of stuff will swap if you do serious modification.

Hmm...my front seats came out of a CRX. I don't remember if they were modified when I put them in. I bought them for 20$ as is they were out of a CRX but I took them from a civic, so maybe the modification where done for me. Either way.

Do heater cores interchange?

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
downest said:
Yea, no prob. If ppl add more i will try to keep it updated.

ludesrv said:
Hmm...my front seats came out of a CRX. I don't remember if they were modified when I put them in. I bought them for 20$ as is they were out of a CRX but I took them from a civic, so maybe the modification where done for me. Either way.
The 4th gen Civic seat will NOT bolt right into a Crx without modifying the rails or moutning points on the car. I have tried to put Civic seats in a Crx, it doesn't work.

ludesrv said:
Do heater cores interchange?
Common sense and myself would say "yes", but i haven't done that, so i can't verify.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Pretty much everything [mechanical] firewall and forward is the same. That includes the heater core and ducting. I've used Civic heater ducting on a CRX before, and we know the dash swaps. So does everything in the engine bay and suspension etc.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Windshield looked different the couple times I was in my civic(needs a swap). The civic's windshield is at a greater angle. I can take measurements the next time I'm out with the crx and civic.

What about mirrors?I don't think they do but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ludesrv said:
Why is the climate control in the not list. It should work, as I have a CRX climate control in my civic after mine broke.
I beleive they CAN work with modification, but are different units.
They are not plug n play.
Civic climate control is all lever activated.

·
Registered
779 Posts
baker423 said:
ludesrv said:
Why is the climate control in the not list. It should work, as I have a CRX climate control in my civic after mine broke.
I beleive they CAN work with modification, but are different units.
They are not plug n play.
Civic climate control is all lever activated.
Actually ya I never did the work to make the buttons work I just have it on defrost. I can reach the lever with my hand next to the gas pedal. It fits tho, and it CAN be used if it's your only option. I beleive honda tech had a write up on making the accord one work too.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.