Honda CRX Forum banner
261 - 280 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,963 Posts
There was at least one 1990 Si that had a tank that you could get 13 gallons into. I don't have my spreadsheets on this computer, but there were several times that I managed to get 13 gallons into Mango Bango. And many more than I put 12+ in. And I am sure that I put rather more than 10 into Parts Fetcher (my previous 1990 Si) on many occasions as well. That's personal experience, not from Wikipedia. From 18 years of owning and driving CRXes.

It is possible that there was a variable rack in my cars, but if so it was subtle enough that I couldn't tell.

--DD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
theinfamousw said:
It's pretty well known the si had a variable rack, even has a VGR stamp on it and is a separate part # from the HF and DX which use the same rack, also why a quaife quick rack works with DX/ HF rack and not the si rack. I've driven all 3 models and owned Dx and si and there is most definitely a difference in the si, unless it had the rack replaced with a DX/HF rack. As for the gas tanks, I think someone screwed the pooch on the sizes as previously stated my DX would go from pushing into the gas station to overflowing in 9.5 gals, but my 91 si would take 10-10.5 not even getting to the bottom. I could be wrong on the tanks, but that's personal experience and not wikipedia
I knew there was a difference in the racks but did not know about the stamp. Where is it located or what does it say or look like? I have a couple racks that I've long forgotten what trim level they came out of so it would help to be able to identify them from the outside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
What about the wiring harness?
Are they the same throughout the trim levels?

For example, I owned a '92 Geo Metro XFI, the trim equivalent to the CRX HF. That car came with nothing, yet the wiring harness had all the plugs/connections for accessories only available on higher trims (rear defrost, A/C, hatch wiper motor, even the damn tach cluster found on Suzuki Swifts!).

So would my '89 DX be equipped for adding A/C, power windows/mirrors, etc?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Yes there are differences in the wiring harnesses between the models. dx isn't wired for multi point fuel injection, hf is wired for a reverse sensor and another point that causes an issue sometimes if you try to swap in a d16a6 and pm6. I'm not sure what all is different on the body harnesses but i do know the ICU is different for si and dx models. Some dx and hf models were never even wired for rear speakers. I'm sure there's others on here that can give more differences and examples.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,870 Posts
In regards to second generation (88-91) USDM CRXs the only harness that are cross compatible are 90 and 91 for the same trim level. Beyond that each year and each trim has a unique set of wire harnesses. The only possible exception is 88 and 89 HF might be the same because the HF did not get the automatic seat belt system until 90. For the DX I'm pretty sure there are different harness for the manual and auto transmission versions.

The big difference between 88 and 89 is the addition of the automatic seat belt system. There are major differences in the cabin and dash harnesses but the engine and rear cabin sub harnesses may remain the same.

Moving from 89 to 90 there are many changes with connectors used and pin location on the connectors.

As far as I can tell the only way to tell a 90 from a 91 is the year code on the VIN. In all the parts look ups I have done for these years I have never found a single difference between the two years.

As far as adding things that were not original to the car not much is supported. If the car did not come with a radio or clock those connectors will be behind the delete plate. All CRXs left the factory without A/C but were set up to have an A/C kit with an A/C sub harness installed by the dealer. Power windows, door locks, and mirrors where never available on USDM CRXs so there is no wiring support for them.

theinfamousw said:
i do know the ICU is different for si and dx models.
All second generation (88-91) USDM CRXs use the same ICU, Honda part number 38600-SH3-A11.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
my apologies if this has already been covered, i read through the thread and i did not notice it.

i have a canadian model 91 CRX Si in Tahitian Green. it has color matched door handles and mirrors, yet 99% of images i see online the handles and mirrors are black and not body colored.

the vehicle has been in my family for roughly 16 years, and doesnt seem to have been fully re sprayed at any time to the best of our knowledge

anybody have any input if perhaps this may be a canadian model thing? or dealer add on? any information at all is appreciated

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
kumabear said:
i have a canadian model 91 CRX Si in Tahitian Green. it has color matched door handles and mirrors, yet 99% of images i see online the handles and mirrors are black and not body colored.

anybody have any input if perhaps this may be a canadian model thing?
This list pertains to US model differences.
Hence why it's not covered on this list.
Canadian models came with paint matched handles and mirrors, US models did not.
Canadian market also received a Si model in Celestial Blue Pearl, where the US has that color, but it is "Dx" only color.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Based on recently swapping out the lock set on my '89 CRX, it appears the ignition key cylinder is different between the '88-'89 models and the '90-'91 models. Only the ignition cylinder appeared different to me -- all the other locks were easily interchangeable. The '90-'91 ignition cylinder is slightly longer than that of the '88-'89 models by a few millimeters, but enough to make them impossible to swap. The shape of the cylinder is also slightly different. And the '90-'91 has a little hex screw at the bottom attaching it to the assembly housing (the big housing that attaches to the steering column). Fortunately, the assembly housing appears to be pretty interchangeable (it might be slightly larger and there are some extra things on the '90-'91 housing) so I was able to swap the entire housing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
mnfred said:
Based on recently swapping out the lock set on my '89 CRX, it appears the ignition key cylinder is different between the '88-'89 models and the '90-'91 models. Only the ignition cylinder appeared different to me -- all the other locks were easily interchangeable. The '90-'91 ignition cylinder is slightly longer than that of the '88-'89 models by a few millimeters, but enough to make them impossible to swap. The shape of the cylinder is also slightly different. And the '90-'91 has a little hex screw at the bottom attaching it to the assembly housing (the big housing that attaches to the steering column). Fortunately, the assembly housing appears to be pretty interchangeable (it might be slightly larger and there are some extra things on the '90-'91 housing) so I was able to swap the entire housing.
Good find and attention to detail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,528 Posts
ERROR , correction needed.
The cluster swap pin-out info needs to have the HF cluster pin-out added.
I have an 88 HF and tried to swap an 89 DX cluster. Didn't work.
The warning lights didn't work ( eg: oil, battery, e-brake, door open, high beam etc )
The CEL light works. but not the others.
The 88 has slot #8 on the 12 pin connector as "EMPTY"
also the HF has a shift light , that's going to be different too.
I would really love to swap in the custom cluster i built , I added glowing red lighted needles :)

ALSO: door seatbelt carpet is different too .. ( I'd like to see pics of this , i think downest said it's noticeable )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
JeffWilliamsUSA said:
ERROR , correction needed.
The cluster swap pin-out info needs to have the HF cluster pin-out added.
I have an 88 HF and tried to swap an 89 DX cluster. Didn't work.
The warning lights didn't work ( eg: oil, battery, e-brake, door open, high beam etc )
The CEL light works. but not the others.
The 88 has slot #8 on the 12 pin connector as "EMPTY"
So you didn't get the swap done I assume?
I've looked and read about the HF wiring for 88/89 being different, but never found any DIY's online or pics showing the pinouts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,528 Posts
Baker said:
JeffWilliamsUSA said:
ERROR , correction needed.
The cluster swap pin-out info needs to have the HF cluster pin-out added.
I have an 88 HF and tried to swap an 89 DX cluster. Didn't work.
The warning lights didn't work ( eg: oil, battery, e-brake, door open, high beam etc )
The CEL light works. but not the others.
The 88 has slot #8 on the 12 pin connector as "EMPTY"
So you didn't get the swap done I assume?
I've looked and read about the HF wiring for 88/89 being different, but never found any DIY's online or pics showing the pinouts.
No .. not done yet :( ... still working on it ..
I'm here to update what i did find though.
I found this:
http://howtoengineering.com/2012/01/swap-a-crx-cluster-to-integra-cluster/
Seems like he did a lot of good work .. but .. eh .. no mention of the "shift light" ..
Maybe that's one of the "Not Used" pins he notates.

This is his pin-out ( nice that he also notates pos & neg )


To further complicate matters .. not really sure what year GSR cluster i have.
DOES NOT HAVE KEY ICON ??? but it has this
*** SRS ABS Door Open ,, upper right grouping **
*** No Cat Coverter Light , Upper left grouping **
*** Ground on Pin 7 **

I found a chart online that lists all the gsr cluster pin-outs and has an "appended" section for the 2000-2001
This is to swap to a Civic .. it's mostly for the GSR pin-out info
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,528 Posts
Here ya Go :)
Notes:
x in the column mean no change. L-Turn / R-Turn / Ground .. SAME FOR ALL YEARS ALL TRIMS
> next to a color indicates a solid color. There are 4 solid colors. Blue, Red, Yellow & Black.
+ in purple shows the Seatbelt wire that's NOT in the HF.
... Blu/Yel seems to be seatbelt .. maybe PS when it's split L / R .. and both L/R when it a single warning light.
... Yel/Red is VSS
... Yel/Red is OIL ** pin / connector info varies on these Yel/Red , test to be sure which is which **
BTW: i left room at the end of the chart for the center plug. I can add it as info become available.



CRX Cluster Pin-Out 88-91 w HF sm by Jeff Williams, on Flickr
 
261 - 280 of 285 Posts
Top