Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1988 CRX DX auto didn’t pass emissions in Tennessee. The guy at the inspections said it needed a tune up and fuel treatment. My friend said to check the egr but after looking, there appears to be none. Any help would be appreciated since I’m still a newby.

I bought the car in Georgia and drove it back 250 miles with no issues. My first thoughts are to change fluids and plugs since I’ve only owned it for 2 days now.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Bunch of questions here to see if we can help you:

What emissions value did you fail at? NOx, CO, etc.?

Do you have any check engine lights?
Does it smoke or burn oil?
What kind of fuel economy do you get?
How does it run? Smooth idle?

If it runs good one thing you can do to retest is just warm it up really good before the test, run on the freeway for a while to clean up the combustion chambers, etc. then take it right in and get it tested. Sometimes this is all it takes to pass.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bunch of questions here to see if we can help you:

What emissions value did you fail at? NOx, CO, etc.?

Do you have any check engine lights?
Does it smoke or burn oil?
What kind of fuel economy do you get?
How does it run? Smooth idle?

If it runs good one thing you can do to retest is just warm it up really good before the test, run on the freeway for a while to clean up the combustion chambers, etc. then take it right in and get it tested. Sometimes this is all it takes to pass.
It failed at HC and CO. The car doesn’t have any check engine lights, no smoke or burning oil, good fuel economy, but it does idle surge. It did it while I was waiting in line to be inspected where the rpms jumped up and down a bit. The car did turn of on me quite a bit also while I waited which it doesn’t do while I drive. (That was the first time I had waited that long while just Idling)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
It did it while I was waiting in line to be inspected where the rpms jumped up and down a bit.
This guy's advice fixed my DX idle surge issue. Do spark plugs, oxygen sensor and check valves and retest. If it still fails you probably need a new catalytic converter. My Si failed multiple times till I replaced my catalytic converter and then it passed with flying colors.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Isn't a 88 exempt from smog test. The car is past 30 years old.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
BTW. Remove the carpet on the passenger side to take a look at the LED. Sometimes these cars don't light up the check engine light but the ecu is flashing codes at the sight glass.
Usually high HC means running rich.
Old CC and O2 sensor cause the problem.

Is the engine reaching normal temps?
If the thermostat is slightly open the ecu will keep dumping fuel to bring the engine to operating temps.
Are fans working ok. Again if they are always on, temps tend to drop.
Check the water thermostat temp rating, make sure its the same as oem. Some aftermarket T stats have a different range.

Make sure timing and spark plugs gap are spot on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts