Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Six or seven years ago I stopped using my sunroof on my 88" Si, because it had begun to have difficulty opening and closing (needed pushing). It was working when I last closed it. I'm finally getting around to repairing it (not much of a sunroof guy), and I cannot get it to slide open at all, in order to expose bolts for removal of the sunroof. The motor and switch still work. I push the sunroof up and to the rear as hard as I dare (from the inside) while operating the activator switch with my foot, to no avail.
The rear of the sunroof has between 1/8" to 1/4" up and down play, and the front has no play.
I'm thinking of jamming wedges and using a pry-bar to force it, but I don't want any body damage.
The 5mm hex key that is employed to manually close the sunroof does not assist in opening it.
If removal of the interior upholstery is required, I'll just leave it be.

Any thoughts on how to open the sunroof without damaging the vehicle would be appreciated.
Thanks,
my88crxsi

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would just remove the whole sunroof tray assembly and start cleaning up the mechanisms related to the sunroof. It's not that difficult. Take out roof liner, remove 6 bolts for tray and unplug motor harness and drain lines(4)...done.
There's many topics about removing it on this site...just search. 8)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This suggestion of a solution did not work for me - what am I missing?.
I removed the ceiling rubber trim that surrounds/seals the sunroof on the inside, hoping that I could see the bolts that you refer to, in order to remove them, and the entire sunroof assembly. There are indeed six bolt/screws back in there, but they are hardly accessible. Four of them I might be able to get at with a flat wrench, but two of them are Phillips' head screws, with no access to them at all.
I've looked at many posts and videos dealing with he removal of the sunroof once you have it open, but I have yet to find one that tells of what to do when it is stuck closed and none of the bolts are accessible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am still attempting to find a way to disengage the sunroof from the inside, between the ceiling cover and the roof (I've removed the rubber trim). It seems to be locked from being able to rise at the rear, and I'm fishing around for a way to disengage it The sunroof link was not all that helpful - I'd seen it already. The link tells how to remove the interior bolts to free up the inside, but it goes on to say,:
"Now that you have dropped the headliner, you have complete access to the sunroof tray assembly. BEFORE you start removing bolts to drop the assembly, remember to remove the sunroof panel. FIRST, OPEN THE SUNROOF FULLY."

As I said, I can't open the sunroof at all. Haven't learned yet how to remove the interior panel trim, so I will remove all that interior trim as a last resort, but it still doesn't open the sunroof. If I can't budge it, I'll take it to a body shop and see if I can pay them to open it for me so that I can dismantle it.
my88crxsi

·
Registered
107 Posts
The sunroof panel is connected to the tray via 2 8mm nuts on the back & 2 10mm bolts on the front. You are not going to access those when it is in the closed position. In the closed position, the tray should drop down with the panel intact as I do not see any protrusions to interfer with the panel not coming down with the tray, try it, worst thing it won't come down. Any screws you said you removed should not be removed, there are only 6-10mm bolts holding the tray in place. If this doesn't work, try removing the centre bracket for the gearing that moves the cables inside the guides(refer to the schematic of the sunroof in the previous link i gave you). This had a significant amount of rust and crap built up in mine and I cleaned it thoroughly, spray WD-40 or some other penetrating oil in the guides to help free up the cables. Maybe...just maybe you'll actually get the roof to open enough to remove the panel.

·
Registered
10,922 Posts
Have you tried manually opening it? Should be a hex head under a access plug in headliner. Also if you take the headliner down and remove the mounting nuts, drain tubes and harness plug the assembly will come down to the inside. The back slide stops might be broke and have the roof jambed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you tried manually opening it? Should be a hex head under a access plug in headliner. Also if you take the headliner down and remove the mounting nuts, drain tubes and harness plug the assembly will come down to the inside. The back slide stops might be broke and have the roof jambed.
Yeah. I tried to manually open it, but no luck.

I'll take the headliner down and take it out that way.

Many thanks @daveb91

1 - 9 of 9 Posts