Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive read about swapping in a 90-93 accord climate control into the 2nd gen CRXs somewhere, it supposedly takes a little trimming, and I think it has to be from a certain year of this bodystyle of accord. Just cant remember where...Has anyone else heard of this?

· Registered
2,605 Posts
Good info, I've been thinking about doing this for a while. But yeesh, that writeup's cable rig is so ghetto. :?
The link at the bottom of the thread for an alternate cable setup looks like a much better option to me.
I was thinking of going a step further by replacing the cable-operated coolant valve with a vacuum operated one (I'm pretty sure the old legends used one). The point being to reduce the force it takes to turn the temp knob... The CRX control always seemed abnormally stiff to me. The vacuum would be controlled by a solenoid valve and a micro-switch on cold end of the temp cable lever. Turn the temp to full cold, triggering the switch which toggles the solenoid, either cutting or supplying vacuum to the valve which would cut off the coolant flow. All other times, coolant would flow through the heater core - temp would be controlled by the mix flap alone.

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tiersin said:
I've never herd of this, but i'm intrigued. I guess it could make a good replacement for the *usually* cracked controls.
Exactly why I want to do it, when I purchased my current CRX, the climate control was in remarkable condition compared to most, not even a crack on it, and the temp knob performed the way it was designed to. As of right now, the temp control and the rest of the panel are about in 2 pieces, and the control knob constantly slips off of the temp adjuster, thats after being "rebuilt" once already with a plastic epoxy from oreillys, it seems everybody with a crx has this problem too, at least each of the 3 CRX Sis Ive owned have.

New climate controls are astronomically high, even the used USDM spec controls in good shape have gone as much as 160 bucks on ebay :cookoo: To me its nuts to pay that much for something that wont work a year later :rolleyes1: Has anyone here ever tried this alternative and can report on how it works?

· Premium Member
4,516 Posts
True that parts are getting very high on some pieces,but what do you expect?
We are talking about cars that aren't made anymore and parts are getting harder to find.
As for that write up.ehh I applaud his attempt,but that setup looked ghetto IMO.
hmm...maybe I should start a small business selling rebuilt crx heater control heads.. :idea: :lol:

· Registered
551 Posts
wow how is all of yur guys climate controls getting cracked and broken!!!!! :?:

my climate control is perfect!!!! not one single crack on it!!!!!!!!! its just dirty because i never use it but for the most it is still in new condition

· Registered
914 Posts
90crxhf_w/ZC said:

my climate control is perfect!!!! not one single crack on it!!!!!!!!! its just dirty because i never use it but for the most it is still in new condition
Mine was fine....till I put my stupid hands on it and dropped it while replacing the light in it..... :oops:

· Registered
3,709 Posts
90crxhf_w/ZC said:
If you have a minty one that's awesome!

However mine looked minty until I was installing my radio. With the console apart I could see the damage, mostly had not reached the front yet. There was all kinds of damage seen around the heat/cold selector once I took it out.

· Registered
20,445 Posts
90crxhf_w/ZC said:
Because they are 15+ yr old pieces of brittle plastic that cracks VERY easily.

The Accord climate control swap would be a good idea, but it is kind of ghetto rigged and a little too much trouble to go through to get it to work properly.

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
90crxhf_w/ZC said:

I hope your happy, because you probably jinxed your climate control. Next time youll get in it itll have broken into a million pieces, JK :wink:, but be thankful that yours is still in good shape.

Youre right ollie about parts for a 15 getting harder to find, but IMO the crx is one of those cars where its worth it to find a solution to this problem, and if you decide to rebuild crx hvac units, sign me up for one :wink:

· Registered
7,426 Posts
90crxhf_w/ZC said:

Well that's why. :rolleyes1:

If you've ever had a climate control out, it's easy to see why they break after time/normal usage.

My current CRX's climate controls is good...but on my last one, I got a repair face from CRX Toad. Epoxied it back together, and added the face plate,...worked great and looked OEM. I'd recommend that over the Accord mod...much less of a headache. http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~mdkeena/plate/

· Registered
551 Posts
oh i see what you guys are saying, i dont hardly use mine because its always hot in oklahoma soooo i never need to use it just the windows down and im set but for the colder states where its pretty much cold all year round i see what your saying i should of thought about that haha :oops:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.