Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all, my name is Kevin and I'm in Afghanistan at the moment but I'm stationed in Anchorage, AK. In a few months I will be back in Phoenix, AZ which is where the build will be taking place. I had been looking for a clean CRX with devotion for at least 2 and a half years. About a couple months ago I finally found one! It is a '91 Dx in excellent condition with only a few issues. Right now it has a cracked windshield, bad brake booster, faded paint and trim, and bad trunk dampers. Not only was it within my price range at $2900, but it is also well within my mechanical abilities. Ok, the build plan is to make a CRX Type R with either a B18C or a K20A. I've been collecting info on both motors for the better part of 3 years. I would really like to get the K20A but we will have to see what happens because I'm not quite sure if I can keep the a/c which will be the deciding factor. Most likely it will be the B18C because the car already has a B16A so all I really have to do is buy the hydro conversion and s300 with wiring to get it in there. Plus, I'm going for the stock look so naturally it would look better. Here is what I have so far:

'91 CRX Dx w/ B16A w/ HASPort mount setup- rear disc convo already done
JDM front end color matching w/ JDM foglights
JDM full rear seat conversion and full rear interior w/ cargo cover
EDM LHD power window setup w/ door cards
JDM OEM ITR non SRS MOMO steering wheel
Progress B-swap springs(will be replacing the GC ones on the car)
Koni Yellows w/ Ground Control Springs already on the car
UKDM '91 VT gauge cluster
Progress sway bars
ES Hyperflex system
Quadconversions tail lights(probably not going on the car)

Parts I'm planning on getting:

JDM B18C Type R at the moment
Recaro Speed front seats w/ custom brackets
ITR shift knob and boot- already purchased
EK armrest
Buddy Club 15" SF or 15" JDM ITR replicas in white with Falken rubber
Championship White paint and custom interior done in Type R style
Spoon goodies(drain plugs, thermo switch, rad cap, and possibly a throttle body)- already purchased
VIS cf hood JDM
CF lip JDM
possibly a Fluidyne radiator
SS brake lines
OEM SIR intake

pics coming soon! :)

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Welcome to the site man! Sounds like an awesome build. Will be waiting for pics! Also stay safe out there. :) :)b

·
Registered
258 Posts
So, the A/C issue shouldn't be your only deciding factor. The K Swap is going to run you anywhere from $5-$10K more than a B swap, ESP if you're already running a B motor. But, you will also put out 20 more hp stock, plenty more with the right bolt-ons and a tune. You can keep A/C with a Kswap, it is just a pain to carfully bend and design your own A/C lines. Out of all of the K Rex's on K20a, there is ONE guy keeping A/C. Good luck, with whichever route you choose!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the support. It looks as if the B18C will be the one going in because it will allow me to get all the goodies I want and I could have it done within the month that I'm in AZ. The K might take me too much time even if I dedicate the majority of the trip to it. I heard about that guy but I really want to know what it will take to make everything fit and work, plus you have to have A/C in the valley, the down sixty method just doesn't cut it, lol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jfrolang said:
Just don't buy Hasport hydro conversion mounts.
Why do you say that? At the moment it has the cable mounts for the B16A on it from HASPort. I was only going to buy the Hydro conversion bracket, or are you saying that I should convert the whole system to hydraulic? If so which system do you recommend?

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
psychomidgit said:
Why do you say that? At the moment it has the cable mounts for the B16A on it from HASPort. I was only going to buy the Hydro conversion bracket, or are you saying that I should convert the whole system to hydraulic? If so which system do you recommend?
innovative isa best http://www.swapshopracing.com/contents/en-us/d701.html

·
Registered
215 Posts
psychomidgit said:
Thank you for the input, I'll check that out. What's the main difference between the two?
I'd like to know this as well.
I thought hasport was supposed to be top shelf gear?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought hasport was supposed to be top shelf gear?[/quote]

That was the impression I had also, I got the car off of one of the guys that works there and it has everything but that mount on it already. I will look into this though, thank you.

Is there anyone on here that is from Phoenix and would know a good shop that could make me custom A/C lines were I to go with the K swap?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I have finally been able to access my pics of my car as it is right now!
Engine Bay

Interior, all things functional

Body Pics

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
KOTUS said:
psychomidgit said:
Thank you for the input, I'll check that out. What's the main difference between the two?
I thought hasport was supposed to be top shelf gear?
Hasport's mechanical cable-hydro conversions are poorly designed and bind. This is true for their B-series and K-series hydro kits. I'm sure you've heard complaints of very high clutch pedal effort or clutch cables snapping.

Hasport's regular mounts are still ok, but I like Innovative's engine placement better. Hasport's B-series kit puts the transmission right up against the passenger side frame rail while Innovative's kit leaves about a centimeter of space there. Innovative also uses rounded bushings that reduce vibration to the chassis, and Innovative's mounts cost less. So with all of that in mind, there's no reason I see to buy Hasport anymore. You're just paying more for a name.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, I'll have to look at that when I do my swap, thanks for the info!

Hey CDUB, what size are the wheels on your avatar btw?

·
Registered
194 Posts
They are 17's. I originally wanted the biggest wheels I could fit (I've always been into big rims on cars). Now I kinda regret buying em, I think Imma eventually get some 15's

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's what I did with my last CRX, lol. I still have the Black 17" Buddy Club SF wheels BNIB in my storage unit that were supposed to go on it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you do go with the b18c5 try to stay cable.either put the type r internals in a b16 or find a gsr one

1 - 20 of 39 Posts