Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my A/c compressor this spring. I have not got out to look since it's freezing out, but I don't know which a/c compressor I have. My question is, when I order a new one, does it matter which one I get?\
majestic honda says the Matsu****a one is $360, while the Sanden one is a whopping $8629.88
:shock: :shock: :shock:

-Chris

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
You can find rebuilt Sanden compressors everywhere for <$300 (Google it). There should be a sticker on your radiator support that says which model compressor you have. Neither are rare......

As far as the the pros and cons of your options here's an excellent writeup on a Dodge forum of all places - AC.

·
Registered
633 Posts
rex2nr said:
I think the hose connections at the compressor are different.
Yes they are. The Matsu****ta has a hose farther off to the passenger side and I think at a completly different angle. Sanden comp. is more compact looking, the Matsu is blocky and oddly shaped, I think it's got a lot bigger pulley too.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
About three years ago I had my entire AC system replaced. New compressor, hoses, expansion valve, dryer, etc. by a professional AC shop (all they do is AC). They recommended a R134 conversion. I already had tried the R134 conversion twice.

First time a friend of mine who'd done it to his car tried it. It blew cool for about two hours. The next time was an retired AC tech that worked with my wife. He replaced the compressor and dryer. That time it worked for few days. Both times I'd describe it as "cool" but not not "cold". The pro shop guaranteed it would be "cold" and the entire conversion for year. It was very expensive but on the summer days when it's 100+ degrees with 90% humidity it's worth every penny.......

·
Registered
237 Posts
In Aug 2004 I redid my AC system and bought a remanufactured compressor from AutoZone for around $250. Also relaplaced the dryer and expansion valve from Honda and retightened all of the AC lines/replaced seals. A few were so loose when my hand touched the bolt it moved. I spent the extra money and had it recharged with R-12. I don't know what R-12 would cost now though. I had my reserves about a non Honda remanufactured part but it is still working. The reman alternater I bought at Autozone is a different story though.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I have had both a Sanden and a Matsu****a. The Matsu****a is a larger compressor and as a result, the A/C system charges up a lot faster, and the car gets cold faster. However, I'm sure this is at a slight horsepower tradeoff, since the A/C compressor takes away from the HP output of the engine.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Both do the job. Which is better? It's subjective. Matsu charges up the A/C system a *little* faster than Sanden, but I'm sure this is at a cost of slightly more horsepower needed to drive the compressor. It's a trade off.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have no personal experience with r-134 in a Matsu one but I've read that they don't seem to like it, like as in they blow up or something. The 2 cars with sandens that I converted to r-134 only blew cold at night or on the highway. So my future plans for any A/C will be to use a later model R-134 compressor and condenser and have some custom lines made.[If I ever get around to it]

·
Registered
18 Posts
new to community
1990 CRX
got AC check
recommended Drier and Ex Valve
then will test after that

i struggling to decide whether to keep R12 or change to 134
i hear both sides and cant make my mind up

damn, help

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.