Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet something else going wierd on me...

I had my battery and charging system checked. Everything's normal. AC compressor is a year old. R134a conversion.

Anyway, I have had issues with the lights dimming, LED clock taking a couple of seconds to light up, OEM speakers cutting out.

I think it is when the AC clutch engages. Could it be going out already and could that cause the issue?

I really could use some cash to fix all these gremlins I am getting.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
That's weird...the A/C system shouldn't really be a huge electrical draw on the system. All it does is engage or disengage the clutch based upon temperature and system pressure. Maybe there's a short somewhere.

·
Registered
62 Posts
ya its probly a shot. i take mine out i dont like a/c to much weight and takes up to much space. i realy have no use for it only time that i would have ac is if i lived in like AZ or Socal but i live in Iowa so there no use for ac to cool down just got hit up the intersate ha :D

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
If you disconnect the power plugs on the top of the compressor, does your car still do it?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
it almost sounds like a voltage regulator or something of that sort, but you said you had that all checked out...

i'd try disconnecting it and seeing what happens, it could also be a short somewhere, which would not be fun to fix, at least for me

and where the heck are you that you're using your AC? its 23 out here, 12 w/the wind chill

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am in Texas. 82 degrees today.

It was only checked at the auto parts store. Where is the voltage regulator?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Charles said:
I am in Texas. 82 degrees today.

It was only checked at the auto parts store. Where is the voltage regulator?
It's inside the alternator on our cars. I had a very weird problem on my car, and it turned out to be a slight break in the power lead that bolts onto the top of the alternator. Check for brown insulation on the wires...it's usually an indicator of excessive heat/resistance.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am not sure what it means to have the loads on. They used a big handheld device and did tests with the engine both off and then on.

Goofing with it some more this morning, I found another thing. If I put the key in the "on" position, pressing the brake pedal substantially dims the clock and radio. I don't remember it affecting it that much.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
loads are things like a/c, headlights, fan etc.. sometimes an alternator will show ok with no load on, but under load it cant put out enough voltage. I think you might have a battery problem if the lights are dimming without the car on. A battery can have whats called a surface charge. Basically the battery is not charged fully, just enough to make a tester give a false reading. Not to mention the testing equipment most FLAPS use are old and outdated by current standards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts