Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who would go for this idea... visit www.mp3car.com forums for further details. But ideally, i'm planning on doing this sometime next year. Gonna pimp it out with the works (GPS, SlimDVD-RW, XM Radio, etc.. etc.. etc...) and i plan to mold a 7" Xenarc Touchscreen into the dash...

lemme know what you guys think!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I just started getting the itch to do this once agian. . . . I own a computer shop so the tech part of it is not reallya problem. . . I am just going to gut an old computer and buy a lillyput or lillypad or whatever they are called. . . . downloaded some software and found some nice Ui's that I like media car is my fav so far. . .. got 120 gig of music all sorted into folders. . . . would be nice to have it in my car.. . . . . i have been reading on tehre site. . . . . and i think i am just going to cheap out and get an inverter and run it with a small touch screen. . ..
heck ill use a mouse and key.. . . . i live in a small town. . . . . computer in a car still = coolness here in ghettoville. . .

anyone got a small lcd that they want to get rid of? i have lots of cool stuff to trade. . .. . . money, computer parts, crx parts out the wazoo. ..

DOHC Zc.
1.5 fresh with mpfi. . . . just ask.. . . ps. if you have more car computer stuff. . . . let me know and wa can talk. . .

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
I saw Synoptic's car in person and wish I could have talked to him more about this. How about posting up some more info on what you did and how you did it? I love it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It's on pgmfi.org as well, I posted a question about computers in your car and he put a bunch of pictures on there.

....... by the way, does anyone else know how much Synoptic has helped many people.......... or know of the software he works on for people like us? Thank You Synoptic!

·
Registered
274 Posts
akirarex said:
It's on pgmfi.org as well, I posted a question about computers in your car and he put a bunch of pictures on there.

....... by the way, does anyone else know how much Synoptic has helped many people.......... or know of the software he works on for people like us? Thank You Synoptic!
Thanx Akira ;) Well, since I keep the same nick on all forums, if people are going on pgmfi.org they know what I do. For the others, I wrote one of the first, if not the first free Datalogger for honda. EcuControl (www.ecucontrol.com).

Now more info on my setup.

My screen is a lilliput 7inch 1024x768 VGA TouchScreen. I find it not birght enough during the day.

The pc is a (now old) Mini-Itx, with a C3 800mhz. Does the job, but maybe a little slow. It also has problem coming back from hibernation.

I was ghosting the actual OS that i had installed on a temporary HD on the new one.

Powering the system is quite easy now. There is a power supply on Audioforge.com that will output regulated 12v from a 6v-32v input ! So the computer will not reboot while cranking (as it used to be). Power supply has a "accessory" input. It uses a 12v accessory signal (like the one to power up an amp, or the igintion switch directly), and it then press the power button for you on the motherboard.

I use a little nice application called CarBox to manage my mp3's and such. I also have a mini wireless keyboard.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes... exactly what i'm talking about!
much better than the conventional deck... no? :wink:

my setup is fully planned...
i'm going to be doing a centrino setup...
if you guys check out the shop at www.mp3car.com you'll see the mini mobos... gonna mate that with a decent DC power supply... and run a centrino 1.6 (you really need no more power than that... it'll do ANYTHING) 512mb Ram (i'll upgrade after checking necessity), 100gb HD (which will hold all the media i need), GPS, Slim DVD-RW, Cell Phone intergration, and eventually i'm looking to find a way to write something to get the system to control the windows, doors, sunroof, etc... (all power items).

Interms of casing, i'm going to build the computer right behind the dash, in a native Mini case (all you guys take a little look right behind where the climate controls, deck, etc. sits... looks like the perfect spot!!!).

let me know what you guys think

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Synoptic said:
Well, since I keep the same nick on all forums, if people are going on pgmfi.org they know what I do. For the others, I wrote one of the first, if not the first free Datalogger for honda. EcuControl (www.ecucontrol.com).
I joined the PGMFI.org forums yesterday and now have an entirely new respect for you.

·
Registered
274 Posts
crxfisher said:
Synoptic said:
Well, since I keep the same nick on all forums, if people are going on pgmfi.org they know what I do. For the others, I wrote one of the first, if not the first free Datalogger for honda. EcuControl (www.ecucontrol.com).
I joined the PGMFI.org forums yesterday and now have an entirely new respect for you.
Lol thanx Fisher, but you can stay on your knees, it's ok... ;P

·
Registered
247 Posts
i love how that LCD screen looks in your dash, Synoptic. Looks like it belongs there. Kudos on making it look like a factory install.

just make sure you never have a water leak, or excess humidity, i could see that making your sweet set-up a pile of expensive broken parts.

have you ever had any worries about any of that stuff being stolen? is it very noticeable from outside of the car if the screen is off?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Stavros said:
i love how that LCD screen looks in your dash, Synoptic. Looks like it belongs there. Kudos on making it look like a factory install.

just make sure you never have a water leak, or excess humidity, i could see that making your sweet set-up a pile of expensive broken parts.

have you ever had any worries about any of that stuff being stolen? is it very noticeable from outside of the car if the screen is off?
my crx is not a DD, and therfore it is never parked in town. If it is parked at a public places, it will be when I go to the restaurant and I can se it from inside.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:( my car will be a daily, i pray its not too noticable! i'm going to have the highest end pager alarm installed before i take on a project like this!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yet another thing that looks like too much fun... heh.

Tint your windows really dark! That way you can barely see out, and no one can see in to see that sweet hookup. :D

·
Registered
428 Posts
coldtotouch said:
:( my car will be a daily, i pray its not too noticable! i'm going to have the highest end pager alarm installed before i take on a project like this!!!
No need - since you have a computer monitor, all you have to do is put on a screensaver of the old stock dash! :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts