Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't think it wise to spend a chunk of money on a AEM cold air intake or anything like that, but I thought i might try my hand at making a little ram air setup on my crx.
I am planning on replacing my 89 bumper with a 90 Si with air dam, so i didn't mind cutting a 3.5"x7" hole in the passenger side where a bumper intake duct from ebay was mounted. I removed the resonator bow and connected a piece of 3" flexible aluminum duct from home depot from the bumper intake to the stock airbox inlet that connected to the radiator. i didn't plug the port that goes to the front of the engine bay yet, but boy does it have a mean throaty growl to it! Yikes! Good for a 1hp increase? Sure why not!
Haha. I'll see if I can't get some pictures tomorrow. What do ya think?

As a note, i drove the car set up like this through some hard pouring rain on I-90 going across NY this weekend and had no problems with hydrolocking the engine or any such shenanigans.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I had a very similar one on my first crx, The only time it was a problen was in a flood when some other jackass blasted bast me on the oppisite side of the road and sent a wave at my car that was almost over the hood and it went up the ram air tube and hydrolocked the eng. resulted in this

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe I'll just make a plug to put in the bumper inlet when it rains really bad, and I'll open up the on in the engine compartment.
Problem solved!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
jmart said:
maybe I'll just make a plug to put in the bumper inlet when it rains really bad, and I'll open up the on in the engine compartment.
Problem solved!
I have my cold air right on the bumper as well, but during the winter I remove half the pipe and get it up so the water won't be an issue.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I believe there is a thing you can buy thats suposed to prevent hydrolocking. Its just a piece of foam that mounts on the inlet pipe in the bay and if there is any redidtance in the air/water, then it allows air to come through. I've seen them on ebay. It seems like it would work. And i dont think there very much. But making it a short ram when its wet is a good idea too.

·
Registered
778 Posts
if you are track racing the car then go for the ram air duct...actually just take off your head light right infront of the intake pipe.

it's not worth it when the car is your daily driver.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've done the same thing with the 3" dryer hose, connecting it rite to the hole of the intake box with a whole lotta duct tape! :D But instead of cutting out tha air dam, i jus let the hose poke out underneath tha bumper a tad bit. Works like a charm!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think not considering it is outside of the engine bay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.