Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't think it wise to spend a chunk of money on a AEM cold air intake or anything like that, but I thought i might try my hand at making a little ram air setup on my crx.
I am planning on replacing my 89 bumper with a 90 Si with air dam, so i didn't mind cutting a 3.5"x7" hole in the passenger side where a bumper intake duct from ebay was mounted. I removed the resonator bow and connected a piece of 3" flexible aluminum duct from home depot from the bumper intake to the stock airbox inlet that connected to the radiator. i didn't plug the port that goes to the front of the engine bay yet, but boy does it have a mean throaty growl to it! Yikes! Good for a 1hp increase? Sure why not!
Haha. I'll see if I can't get some pictures tomorrow. What do ya think?

As a note, i drove the car set up like this through some hard pouring rain on I-90 going across NY this weekend and had no problems with hydrolocking the engine or any such shenanigans.

· Registered
632 Posts
I had a very similar one on my first crx, The only time it was a problen was in a flood when some other jackass blasted bast me on the oppisite side of the road and sent a wave at my car that was almost over the hood and it went up the ram air tube and hydrolocked the eng. resulted in this

· Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe I'll just make a plug to put in the bumper inlet when it rains really bad, and I'll open up the on in the engine compartment.
Problem solved!

· Registered
2,475 Posts
jmart said:
maybe I'll just make a plug to put in the bumper inlet when it rains really bad, and I'll open up the on in the engine compartment.
Problem solved!
I have my cold air right on the bumper as well, but during the winter I remove half the pipe and get it up so the water won't be an issue.

· Registered
914 Posts
I believe there is a thing you can buy thats suposed to prevent hydrolocking. Its just a piece of foam that mounts on the inlet pipe in the bay and if there is any redidtance in the air/water, then it allows air to come through. I've seen them on ebay. It seems like it would work. And i dont think there very much. But making it a short ram when its wet is a good idea too.

· Registered
298 Posts
I've done the same thing with the 3" dryer hose, connecting it rite to the hole of the intake box with a whole lotta duct tape! :D But instead of cutting out tha air dam, i jus let the hose poke out underneath tha bumper a tad bit. Works like a charm!

· Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think not considering it is outside of the engine bay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.