Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd let my crx family know what I've been up to lately.

Well I have been wanting to race for a long time and yesterday I got that chance.I took 1st in SM2 my first ever autoX.I guess I am better than I thought.Well maybe a little luck too. WOOT!

It really is a rush pushing yourself to the limit trying to pull the fastest time.

I dont know if anyone can see how much the elevation changes were,but the ending was a &*^*&(off camber turns),about three of the in a row.
If you have never raced in a organized event.Do yourself a favor and TRY one once its highly addictive.I know I'm hooked.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Its cool huh ollie. me and tweak used to have such fun doing that...we havent raced in a long time..I work sundays now....but I am sure I will get around to doing it sooner or later. good deal bro..glad you enjoyed yourself.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I really want to try autocrossing. I've been to the SCCA site for my state and found out race times, locations, etc. Now all I need to do is get off my lazy butt and fix my car (bad pass. CV joint, needs new bushings). But I'm working my way there. This last summer I replaced my shot OEM shocks and springs for Koni Yellows/GC with autocross in mind. Eventually I'll get there....

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Downest:Yes I am sir....Yes I am. muhaha. :twisted:

JB:Yes it is brotha.Hope to have a few more pics and cars that I had to compete against later.Get back in sir its a hoot!

Ti Rider:I feel your pain.I did what you are doing for 2 years.If you wanna get in on the fun.Get up and fix the lil concerns that you have and pre-register.Then your stuck and HAVE to go.You wont regret going.It really is fun.
Oh and another thing.Dont worry so much about winning your first time out.I went there expecting nothing,but a fun day of racing against friends.Thats exactly what happened.The podium finish that I got was just icing on the cake.
Trust me I have a LOT to learn about driving 9/10ths.(anyone that races knows what I mean)
Thanks for the replies guys

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Ollie, would it help to go watch an autocross event? The reason I ask is because the only time I've seen an autocross run is on Youtube. The nearest event is a two and half hour all highway drive. Or should I just register and jump in with both feet?

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Ti Rider said:
Ollie, would it help to go watch an autocross event? The reason I ask is because the only time I've seen an autocross run is on Youtube. The nearest event is a two and half hour all highway drive. Or should I just register and jump in with both feet?
Where are you located? Find a local event and go ask someone to take you for a ride. Watching it can look slow from outside the car, but it's pretty intense inside, even in the passenger seat. Both my old roommate and my parents came and watched a couple of runs, and they looked a little skeptical at first. I took them each for a ride, they liked it, and they appreciated how hard and fast you have to work. My roommate was the first to point out to me that I hold my breath for almost the entire run.

Most people, in my opinion, will be willing to take you for a run, but ask in the beginning before they are trying to nail some good times.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I love autoxing both the rex and the Scoob. Just remember it's good to have a set of tires dedicated for the season besides your street tires! What kind of tire pressure were you running? And what size are those rims? Rota gab copies?

Your car looks the BOMB there! Dang! So clean ! So fast ! It needs it's own picture page!

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Scott:Because 10/10ths means skidding off to your death into a ravine. lol :wink:

Ti:I just did it feet first.Just go in it with the mindset that your there to have fun and dont worry too much about your times.Dont be afraid to ask someone there if you can ride along.Most racers are more than willing to"show off" their driving skills. :lol: Like the nike commercial-just do it!

Az:Thank you sir you are too kind.As for my wheels(thanks for noticing BTW) are Rota GT3 the GAB copies.They are 15x7 and if memory serves me 38psi frt 34 rear.

Oh yeah and if anyone else is a autoX noob log into these sites for info.
link 1:http://www.scca.com/
link2:http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frmMain.Show

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sweet. You have PM sir.
Oh and I have some pics of my competitors. :twisted:

This guy was running 8 seconds faster than my fastest time,and he only had about 125 Hp?! Yikes! Talk about driving skill.

Yes those ARE ITB's. :D

My buddy Scott's 92 ITR powered DX.woot...

^^^^^^^Fastest car at the meet.This guy was a slot car on turns.Picture perfect everytime.I hate him.:evil: jk I dont,but I envy his skills.

My buddy Ian and his GSR powered crx. hehe I beat him w/my single cammer. :wink: :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Goooood, you have finally crossed over to the Dark Side.

Once you start to race (legitmately in a safe, controlled environment which by definaition does not include ANY kind of street racing) you have entered into an addiction worse than any drug and potentially more expensive to boot.

I love AutoX and I highly recommend it as an entry into competitive driving. Get to a local event, ask questions, volunteer to shag cones, ask for a ride with a competitor (on a practice day). Buy a helmet, enter your car and have some fun!

Either Ollie a truly gifted driver with an exceptional car... or there must not be much competion in your region's SM2 class. Out here in California you would be pitted against some very sophisticated Corvettes driven by folks who go to Nationals.

Scott

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I actually have some background in "racing" that car,but I can't condone that kind of racing any more. :oops: Sooo I have some experience,but you are partly right there was only 6 cars in my class.
I did however embarrass a 350 hp RX7. :D
WOOT I own pg 2 FTW! :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
daveb91 said:
How many cars and what kinds were in your SM2 class. I got an autox the 28th and it looks like from registration its just me an a buddies CRX. So I should easily get a podium in class! :wink:
6 as stated above.
I dont remember all the cars,but I know that there was a turbo'ed FD RX7,a couple of crx's,and a cough festiva cough. lol
Sorry i dont remember the rest.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
ollie said:
daveb91 said:
How many cars and what kinds were in your SM2 class. I got an autox the 28th and it looks like from registration its just me an a buddies CRX. So I should easily get a podium in class! :wink:
6 as stated above.
I dont remember all the cars,but I know that there was a turbo'ed FD RX7,a couple of crx's,and a cough festiva cough. lol
Sorry i dont remember the rest.
One of my friends AutoXs his festiva! He actually beats people too...
His other car is a completely custom built 1983 RX7 with a turbo II swap, it's finally down to just tuning (megasquirt) after 10 months of near non-stop work, he'll be running in SM2 with me.
I haven't seen any out here, but I hear that the 20B (three rotor) 7's dominate the class.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.