Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got an extra A6 head. I want to get a really good flowing head thinking about milling it a little for about a 10:1 compression. Also want a aftermarket cam. One thing I am having a hard time finding though is porting prices for a head. I have found Endyn, exospeed, and JG. Is there anymore out there that will do a good job??

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I'm looking at getting this done myself.I have seen the end result from doing this process and let me say its stunning.

http://www.extrudehone.com/

·
Registered
112 Posts
if you want to spend the money then get it extrudehoned ,it cleans it up really nice but i don't think it takes a lot of material out,the other thing is check with your local engine shops they can probably do it for you ,or do it your self i did it's not that hard just time consuming :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
i don't know if you can mill it for a 10-1 compression ration, i think the max amount of head milling/block decking you can do before things start to hit is 20 thousandths, but not sure

·
Registered
133 Posts
A friend of mine read some stuff about 'do it yourself' head porting and then did it to his miata head, it was ugly, the said the car would barley run when he put it back together. you might want to make sure you can afford to mess up the head to the point of no return.

·
Registered
133 Posts
for a company you should look at importperformanceparts.net and go to their machining section, they can do it for like 500 for 20-30 hp gain, 700 for 50-60 hp gian, and 950 for 90-95 hp gian, or 1000 for 105 hp gain for a nitroused set-up. they also do alot of other machining work, balancing, knife edging, the works pretty much

·
Registered
133 Posts
the extrude hone stuff, if it makes the inside of the head smooth, you might not want it, the bumps are there to break up the air and help the air and fuel to mix. The enigneers who designed the engine know alot more than most of us do (deff. including me), just keep that in mind.

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
Keep in mind that when most engines are designed for mass production, they are not designed for max power. The intakes may be built to induce swirl in the combustion chamber, which will enhance efficiency. They will also slow down and restrict the air, and the more air you can get into the cylinders is that much more power you can make.

ExtrudeHoning will open up and smooth out the ports, which allows significantly more air in. The object of P&P is more power of course, and what you lose in efficiency you make up for with combustion energy. If you have clean injectors it really shouldn't be a problem though. If you look at before and after dyno charts of an extrudehoned engine, you'll see the dramatic positive results. The only downside I can think of is you'll go through fuel faster to keep the air/fuel ratio from going too lean, and also because you'll have your foot in it more often. :p

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Thank you...I didn't have to explain that out.^^^^ :D
Contrary to belief Extrudehone doesn't make the cylinders glass smooth either.It just cleans up and removes casting marks that cause unwanted swirl.
Look at Extrudehone's before and after stuff.I know if I can afford it I'll do that route.

·
Registered
133 Posts
yeah, i mean, if you were expecting to need to do more than just get it ported and polished. If their was a way around it, by all means, go for it!

·
Registered
133 Posts
you know, if you do this, put your results on here, i would love to know the difference you get from it. Are you planning on doing the head and intake, or just the head?

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Ya know austin,you could have just posted all that in one post.
Were you just brainstorming between posts or what? :?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.