Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a pretty serious gas leak. At first I thought it was just an occational drip, but it seems to be getting worse the more I look at it. From what I just watched, it seems to be 1-2 drips every 5 deconds. So I've decided the only thing to do is replace the gas tank, and possibly all the filler hoses myself.

Any tips or pointers on what to do or NOT to do? (besides don't smoke while working on it? LOL)

Any suggested parts to replace while I've got the tank out?

I thought I saw a write up or brief description on it, but I searched a little bit and couldn't find it. I really suck at using hte search feature on forums. *sigh*

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
952 Posts
The one thing i can say is buy new tank hold downs (or ups in this case) and mounting hardware. They tend to rust up and most likely, you'll break them trying to get them out.

If having no problems with the fuel pump, that should be all.

I had to do this when i found that my first crx had a good leak. I stopped at the fire house for ten mins and found about a gallon of gas under the car when i came back. Dropped the tank, found three holes in the top of it.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the plan was tank, hold-up straps, and filler hoses.

I just need to find the "how to" to remove the tank and get to work on it. It's got to be leaking around the seem line. Now that it's down to half tank, it's not leaking.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It's not too bad of a job.

find something big to drain your tank into, I just those giant wide pour spout bright yellow drain pans you can get at advance. they hold 5 gallons.

You need to 1st remove the cargo lockbox and undo the harness for the fuel pump/gas guage.

then you take the 2 straps off and use a jack and a block of wood to lower the tank.

Then undo all the hoses and connections.
I dont know if you got a junkyard tank or what, but if you are moving the fuel pump over, just be careful which direction you put it in so it all lines up.

It's not too bad of a job, I can think of worse. It just stinks!

-Henry

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
djhankb said:
It's not too bad of a job.

find something big to drain your tank into, I just those giant wide pour spout bright yellow drain pans you can get at advance. they hold 5 gallons.

You need to 1st remove the cargo lockbox and undo the harness for the fuel pump/gas guage.

then you take the 2 straps off and use a jack and a block of wood to lower the tank.

Then undo all the hoses and connections.
I dont know if you got a junkyard tank or what, but if you are moving the fuel pump over, just be careful which direction you put it in so it all lines up.

It's not too bad of a job, I can think of worse. It just stinks!

-Henry
HOLY CRAP, WHERE YOU BEEN?!?! (yes the caps were intentional. lol)

·
Registered
26 Posts
The strap ends toward the front pop out when you are replacing the tank so I put PVC pipe segments into the gap.I cut the pipe lengthwise also to remove enough material so the pipe could be compressed then spring open when inserted.I used marine fuel hose instead of a stock hose for the filler pipe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.