Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on several turbo setups right now, and wondering about some details.

This is one for the archives:

Q: What are common oil pressure values on a Honda engine?

Q: What effect can an oil reducer flange have on pressures inside an oil line kit? I had an oil line coupler blown apart last weekend.

Q: Where to tap the oil pan, for an oil return line?
A: As high on the oil pan as you can. Try to keep the return line at a 30-45 degree angle. Too steep can cause too fast of a drainage. Too shallow can cause oil blockage.

Q: What's the best way to clock a turbo, to line up the feed and return ports?

Feel free to add questions.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
1.) 7-12psi at idle, 40-50psi at 3000, upwards of 80 psi at WOT/high rpm

2.) An oil reducer (like the one I run on my GT turbo)increases line pressure behind it some amount in return for significantly dropping the pressure goign to your turbo. My turbo is supposed to see like 15-25 psi, and normal sleeve bearing turbos need more like 40-50, but theres no turbo ive heard of that wants 80 psi :)

3.)High up, right, and baffled if possible. sloping angle, no line below the drain in the pan, ever.

4.)to clock the turbo you just unbolt teh retention bolts, put it in a vise, and beat the crap out of it till it moves. new turbos are much better in this regards then some JY special.

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Interesting issues. So does it matter what engine you are using? Why do they recomend when doing CRV/VTEC to switch out the oil pump to a GSR pump? I thought it was because it was higher pressure? I took my b20 one out and compared it to the GSR one and it looks the same on the outside??
What do you mean "no line between the drain in the pan"?

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mattminerDOTcom said:
4.)to clock the turbo you just unbolt teh retention bolts, put it in a vise, and beat the crap out of it till it moves. new turbos are much better in this regards then some JY special.

[email protected]
What are the best positions to clock it to? Regarding the points of feed/return.
Should the feed be up on top? Or should it be more towards a 80/90 degree towards horizontal?

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Richrowa:

those are just a general guideline, the GSR/ITR pumps will have a higher oil pressure at WOT and even higher if you shim them. its good because on that setup oiling is very important.

i wrote no line below the drain, like the oil line should never droop below where its going, because its mainly gravity drain.

SETI:
for clocking it, you want the drain relatively downward, the feed and coolant lines really dont care haha. whatever makes it easiest for the oil drain to be correct and for the turbo to clear the block/whatvere is the right way.

[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.