Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for not having a CRX. I have 1991 Civic Hatchback DX and trying to get the AC to work again. A shop a while back converted to R134a but stopped working about a year or so after that. I tried to recharge it with dye to see if there are leaks, but so far, I am not seeing any. The compressor comes on, fans are working too. Compressor is a Sanden. But my problem is the charge is not holding at all. While recharging, it seems the system does not want to be charged, like the pressure would increase as I am charging but decreases right after that. And so I can't charge it up to any level of good pressure to keep the compressor running. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
a CRX
2,570 Posts
The remaining charge in the system is too low to pull the new refrigerant in. The AC system needs to be put into a vacuum so it can be charged correctly and properly diagnosed. After you added dye, did you check the AC drain vents in the floor of the car for any traces? If you find any, the evaporator is leaking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The remaining charge in the system is too low to pull the new refrigerant in. The AC system needs to be put into a vacuum so it can be charged correctly and properly diagnosed. After you added dye, did you check the AC drain vents in the floor of the car for any traces? If you find any, the evaporator is leaking.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I just found the original invoices of the previous AC work done on my 1991 Civic Hatchback DX, back in 2005 and 2008. This shop did the R-134a conversion July 2005 at 164K mileage. In August 2008 when I took my car back for AC repair for not blowing cold air, here's what they did:
Replaced O-rings due to leak. Charged the system but high side pressure spiked and blew the pressure valve on the compressor. Debris in the system, recommend replacing compressor, receiver dryer, expansion valve and flushing the AC lines.

With that, do you still recommend your previous comment? Apologies but just making sure I am following the correct fix. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
a CRX
2,570 Posts
If it blew the high pressure valve on the compressor, I'd start with replacing the compressor, drier and expansion valve. You don't want any metal shaving (from the old compressor) going into any new component. Other than sucking down the system, most of this stuff you can replace yourself, then just have a shop charge it for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry but just another question. This shop also replaced my distributor with a brand new one with a new dizzy price. Later on, I found out, they only replaced a part inside the distributor. I saying this because I'm not sure if the shop was honest about my AC. With that, if the pressure valve on the Sandem compressor blew, how come it still works? Maybe it can still run so I'm just asking a question. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
a CRX
2,570 Posts
No worries. Those high pressure relief valves are a failsafe to keep the compressor from basically imploding and doing more damage to your system. Basically, if that valve blew, the compressor needs replaced due to an internal failure.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
This sounds like the right time to do a true r134a system.
if you are replacing bad parts only, remove the evaporator core and expansion valve, if there is a black goo with silver metal shavings the compressor is gone. You might as well do a full r134a true conversion.

if replacing just bad parts make 1000% the shop uses ESTER OIL NOT PAG or something else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Apologies for not having a CRX. I have 1991 Civic Hatchback DX and trying to get the AC to work again. A shop a while back converted to R134a but stopped working about a year or so after that. I tried to recharge it with dye to see if there are leaks, but so far, I am not seeing any. The compressor comes on, fans are working too. Compressor is a Sanden. But my problem is the charge is not holding at all. While recharging, it seems the system does not want to be charged, like the pressure would increase as I am charging but decreases right after that. And so I can't charge it up to any level of good pressure to keep the compressor running. Thanks guys.
There are many main reasons for the early failure of vehicle batteries, such as:
1. The first is deep discharge: that is, when the vehicle has been stopped, but the lighting or other electronic devices on the vehicle are still in working condition, so that the battery is always in a state of discharge. Keeping the battery in a state of discharge for a long time will prolong the service life of the battery. reduce.
2. Electrolyte volatilization caused by overcharging or overheating of the engine: Since the electrolyte is prepared from special sulfuric acid and distilled water in a certain proportion, when the vehicle engine is overheated, the volatilization of the distilled water will definitely be accelerated, so that the sulfuric acid in the electrolyte and the distilled water will evaporate. The proportion of distilled water is inconsistent, resulting in shortened battery life.
3. The generator belt is too loose and leads to insufficient charging: everyone must know that the generator of the car is to supply power to the electronic equipment on the vehicle and to charge the battery during the use of the vehicle (except in the idling state), and to charge the battery. If the belt on the generator If it is too loose, it will cause the generator to charge the battery insufficiently, thus affecting the normal use of the battery.
4. The battery has not been maintained for a long time: When the vehicle has not been used for a long time (6 months or more), then the generator cannot be relied on to charge the battery. We need to maintain and charge the battery separately. Long-term parking may lead to the loss of battery power, and if the battery is not maintained, the service life of the battery will definitely be greatly reduced.

·
Registered
a CRX
2,570 Posts
There are many main reasons for the early failure of vehicle batteries, such as:
1. The first is deep discharge: that is, when the vehicle has been stopped, but the lighting or other electronic devices on the vehicle are still in working condition, so that the battery is always in a state of discharge. Keeping the battery in a state of discharge for a long time will prolong the service life of the battery. reduce.
2. Electrolyte volatilization caused by overcharging or overheating of the engine: Since the electrolyte is prepared from special sulfuric acid and distilled water in a certain proportion, when the vehicle engine is overheated, the volatilization of the distilled water will definitely be accelerated, so that the sulfuric acid in the electrolyte and the distilled water will evaporate. The proportion of distilled water is inconsistent, resulting in shortened battery life.
3. The generator belt is too loose and leads to insufficient charging: everyone must know that the generator of the car is to supply power to the electronic equipment on the vehicle and to charge the battery during the use of the vehicle (except in the idling state), and to charge the battery. If the belt on the generator If it is too loose, it will cause the generator to charge the battery insufficiently, thus affecting the normal use of the battery.
4. The battery has not been maintained for a long time: When the vehicle has not been used for a long time (6 months or more), then the generator cannot be relied on to charge the battery. We need to maintain and charge the battery separately. Long-term parking may lead to the loss of battery power, and if the battery is not maintained, the service life of the battery will definitely be greatly reduced.

OP is talking about his AC system, not the battery.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Yeah, I'm a bit worried that this person is copy-pasting semi-related stuff to set up for some later mass spamming...

--DD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts