Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waddup guys,

Dont know how many of you are into subarus but Im really excited about some upcoming work im doing on the battle wagon so I figured Id share.

For reference, the car is an 02 WRB WRX Wagon (worked on by me, owned and mostly driven by my other). Things have been good lately in subie world, I scored another set of those mean ass looking morette headlights i have on the 2.5RS last night, got a quote of $100 to have them sprayed WRB so that should be coming up soon.

Exterior wise the car is currently mostly stock. So far I debadged it and ummmm thats it haha. I really really really want to de roof rack it and install a midwing, but the midwing has yet to get executive approval. Between the morette headlights and the rockguards on the 4" factory fogs thatll be about it looks wise anytime soon. Well, that an the blingity bling 18x8" gold subzeros that are going on it.

Engine performance wise currently the car has a mattminer tuned enginuity reflash on the stock ecu, WORX recirc valve and intake resonator removal. I just picked up a KN air filter so that should help a little, if only with the sound haha. Id really like to do a turboback exhaust but once again, executive approval just isnt there yet. If i do the exhuast Ill be switching to a GM boost solenoid and picking up a decatted uppipe as well (so i dont suck hot and gooey cat bits into my sweet little turbo). A guy at work is upgrading to a FMIC on his STi so Im probably gonna score his stock IC on the cheap. yay me.

Supsension, drivetrain, and braking is where the real fun is coming. The cars got about 60k on it, so it needs brake pads finally. I picked up a full set of Hawk HPS pads and a couple liters of ATE super blue, that should put some oomph back in the brake pedal. Im scoring a Progress 22mm adjustable rear swaybar with upgraded mounts, so I ordered a full set of kartboy endlinks to compliment it. I also scored (for free) a set of subframe locker bolts.....for those who dont know the rear subframe is a floating design from the factory, and these bolts eliminate that.

While I was browsing the site to pickup the kartboy endlinks I just couldnt resist ordering a few more 'necessary' parts. I ended up ordering a Function7 snub (torque) mount, an upgraded STI tranny mount, solid rear diff mounts (to kill the diff clunk), solid outrigger mounts, and some tranny brace mounts.

Future plans involve some Koni shocks, an undetermined set of springs with a minimal drop, and front drop camber plates to level out the car and give me maximum camber. Maybe eventually I can find a matching front swaybar as well. And an anti lift kit (basically a caster adder) would be sweet.

On the interior side I was lured in by a sweet weighted delrin shift knob and a kartboy short shifter, and of course every bushing that goes swith that haha. I finally got the often requested armrest extension that my elbow always jams into when i try to shift. I really should get a boost gauge in this thing at some point, I just cant find a clean spot for it yet. I dont want one of those ricer dash mount things unless I can get the uber badass DEFI one. woe is me haha

anyway, thats where were at, just thought i would share with all you guys. if anyone has any thoughts comments or questions post em up.

[email protected]

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hahah yeah....i played that game with the last car she had...i alsmot lost a testicle over that one. this time i need to play it above board.

not that the last one turned out badly....

luckily the downpipe has a slight exhaust leak already......must resist urge.....

honestly though, ill probably get downpipe authorization, ill use an upgraded midpipe and if I run the STi axle back I can probably get away with it.

matt

·
Registered
953 Posts
Dont tell me thats the civic that turned pick. That thing looks good black.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dodo said:
Dont tell me thats the civic that turned pick. That thing looks good black.
haha no man, that one was black it turned blue black. the pink one is my old best friends girls car. it was red.

ha thanks jfro. baller be me then.

[email protected]

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good point dub, but this is a special case.

one, rachel takes extremely good care of her cars, she is probably more concerned on a day to day basis than me.

the week she got her WRX she foudn the maintenance schedule online, made a spreadhseet with all the things, and wanted me to fill in what parts it would need, an estimated cost, and how long it would take me at each service interval. every time there is a noise, vibration, anything shes on the phone, asking me about it.

she also would not mind the performance, i do however need to balance it between being faster and being nice to drive. something i dont really have to consider on my car.

two, I spend alot of seat time in the car, so it makes things better for me. also, it seems extremely likley that i will end up with the car when its time for her to move on, so think of it has preemptive modding :)

lastly, I enjoy working on the WRX and learning about it...alot of guys around here are transitioning from honda -> subaru so if I want to keep my side mide jobs going, I need to know alot about this thing.

in general though, you make a good point. the saddest part (I see alot) is hwen some dude is modding his girls car because he doesnt even have his own haha. I think thats where all theses modded altimas and elantras and crvs come from.

[email protected]

·
Registered
220 Posts
mattminerDOTcom said:
lastly, I enjoy working on the WRX and learning about it...alot of guys around here are transitioning from honda -> subaru so if I want to keep my side mide jobs going, I need to know alot about this thing.
We'll enter the Darkside together my friend...

About the gauges...have you considered the Prosports? Has the Defi look, MUCH cheaper, available in the 52mm size, and color matched to the stock Subaru lighting colors. I plan on getting two along with the "dual cluster mount".

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cool man, yeah believe me im not into the 'look at my 1000 dollar tire pressure gauge' thing.

case in point, i rock rota wheels on teh crx and the wrx haha

where do you find the dual cluster mount? those gauges look perfect! and if i could put them up wit the stock gauges id be so so happy.

that site even has the radiator hose/NPT adapter ive been looking for. yay me!

[email protected]

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
You, sir, have done one of two things:
1)stumbled across a rare breed of women you're not telling us about, or
2) are a smart man who trained her right.

If #2 is the case, I demand a 'How-to' write-up! ;)

But really though, great stuff. It makes it easier to work on the cars and spend the money, when the misses agrees.

EDIT: Wow, I sound like a sexist pig. Apologies to anyone offended by these couple posts. :oops:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.