Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
As a motorcycle rider and a crx owner, this kind of story is all too scary. Makes you think twice about where/when you ride and how defensive you are. It also makes me angry at most people who drive suvs. For the most part, people get into an suv and start driving much more offensively because they are big and safe, problem is that they become usafe for people who like to drive smaller more fuel efficient vehicles. More than likely the suv driver was just lane changing without looking well.
Man, this kind of thing really makes me burn!

·
Registered
734 Posts
I think having a motorcycle would be a whole lot of fun, but honestly I doubt if I will ever buy one because of the number of stupid drivers out there. I deal with enough scary situations just driving a small car, there's no way I would feel comfortable on a bike constantly worrying that one stupid SUV driver on a cell phone making a simple lane change without looking could send me to the hospital, or the morgue. At least in a car I feel like I would have a decent chance of walking away from an incident instead of taking a slip and slide ride down the pavement.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My sentiments exactly. I would love a motorcycle for getting around. Texas usually has dry weather and despite being hot, it is extremely rare for snow or ice. The problem? Other drivers. The couple of times I rode a cycle, I could not believe how I seemed invisible to the dolts in cars. Scary stuff. And though you can have minor accidents in cars, bikes rarely seem to have minor accidents where a car is involved.

Plus, a fat guy on a bike looks about as attractive as one dancing.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
MarkWilliamson said:
Since we have no helmet law here, I see these young, dumb and full of *** guys riding their "tojo-the-human-bullet" bikes wearing only sunglasses, shorts, flip-flops and a tank top. They sure look cool...up to the point they slide down Chinden Blvd with no leather on.
Same thing in NH, and now in CT where I'm working for the summer. I'm pretty sure Colorado has the same deal, I would imagine the rider in this article wasn't helmeted (older guys usually aren't in my experience). Personally I don't think there should be a helmet (or seatbelt) law, but I always wear mine.

I understand why you guys don't want bikes, but you should try it out once. I've put 2 bikes down and I've come out fine both times. I'm not saying you can't get killed, I know it's a reality we have to accept as bikers, but don't dismiss it so easily.

·
Registered
734 Posts
downest said:
I understand why you guys don't want bikes, but you should try it out once. I've put 2 bikes down and I've come out fine both times. I'm not saying you can't get killed, I know it's a reality we have to accept as bikers, but don't dismiss it so easily.
I don't hate on anyone for riding, but the risks outweigh the possible benefits for me. I'm invisible enough in a small car -- people change lanes directly into me, turn or pull out right in front of me, and things like that ALL THE TIME. I'm not about to make myself 10 times more invisible to other drivers on a machine that makes me 10 times more vulnerable to injury. All it takes is one soccer mom making a left turn in front of me, and I'm in bad shape.

I'm sure it would be a blast, but I just don't like my odds. I try to never underestimate the stupidity of the human race, and I think I'd be doing just that by thinking I could ride a motorcycle around some of the dozens of mouth-breathers I see on the road every single day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.