Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I left my car at my friend's apartment in Indianapolis while we went to the Nine Inch Nails show at a nearby venue (it was awesome). Afterwards we were pretty wiped out so I slept there on his couch.

This morning around 8:30 I wake up and head down to the car to go home...and as I get close I realize my rear interior is out of place and I can see my rear strut tower brace through the window. Not good. Passenger side quarter window was busted out (STUPID thieves can't even pop the door lock), CD player was ripped and pried out of the dash -- TRASHING the console in the process, and busting up my climate control way worse than it already was. I was dumb and left the head unit's faceplate on, since I was used to parking in good neighborhoods and my friend lives in a pretty nice apartment complex. Of course they got my subwoofer, box, and amp, and trashed all the wiring in the process.

They went through the glovebox, and of course my iPod was in there, since I have it wired up to play through my stereo. Luckily it was just an old 10GB model and I've been wanting a new one anyway since I have way more music than that. If I had ended up getting a new 40 or 60GB Video and had it stolen, I'd be plenty pissed.

They didn't even notice my $400 Valentine One radar detector mounted up above the rear-view mirror -- in the dark it's pretty invisible -- or the concealed display for it. They also didn't touch my VAFC, thank god...I didn't want to have issues with the way the car ran as a result of this too. Quick-release steering wheel was untouched also, if they knew what it was they could have popped it off in 2 seconds and taken it.

My old '87 Si was broken into a couple of years back in Chicago, so the insurance company has the records for all the crap because THEY bought it. I did replace the sub they gave me with a better one, hopefully I can get a reciept from Best Buy for that.

My iPod MIGHT be covered since it was hard-wired to the stereo, therefore becoming part of the car stereo system rather than just personal property in the car. We'll see if they go for that.

All in all just terrible timing, since I spend a three-day weekend last weekend gutting the whole interior, sound deadening the car, and reinstalling everything after cleaning it all up, hiding the stereo wiring under the carpet, etc. So right when I've got everything in order, some asshole comes along and just trashes everything that I worked so hard on.

So, at least insurance should be pretty easy to deal with on this one, and I'll get some new stuff. I think I'll spend some time making stuff a little harder to steal this time, and while I don't know if I want to install an alarm (because I hate alarms going off for no reason with a passion), it's probably time to install some flashing LEDs to make scumbags think twice. I dunno, maybe an alarm IS in order...we'll see. I'll tint the windows, hide stuff well, and install a kill switch to keep my car from going anywhere without me.

This really makes me take notice of where I want to live when I move to Indy (waiting for my current lease to end in a smaller town)...ONE NIGHT at this place, which is a nice complex, and my car is broken into. I can't live somewhere where I have to deal with that all the time. These threads are getting pretty commonplace on here, but I had to vent to some people who understand. Happy 4th...

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rex2nr said:
Suckage. If you need any parts, let me know... I have a ton of stuff in the garage that I can send.
Yeah man, I'm in need of a center console (mine is 100% junk now) and the part behind it that actually holds the radio, ashtray, and lighter. I'd like to have an Si part for that, just because I miss the illuminated ring around the cigarette lighter now that I have a DX. Looks like everything else survived...although I just noticed a couple of paint chips near the broken window, and had to sorta fix the weatherstripping where they tried to slim-jim the door and failed.

Dren said:
sucks man, where in indy did you say it was?
On the west side of town, near Eagle Creek Parkway and 34th Street. Decent apartment complex, but I parked a bit far away from the building (because less cars were out there), and I since I parked in the daylight I didn't notice that there aren't many lights out there as compared to closer to the buidings. They saw a clean car with rims, looked inside and saw a CD player, and then lucked out when they found more goodies in the trunk and glovebox. The car parked closest to mine had a busted window too, but I could see the factory stereo in the dash and a big book of like 100 CDs sitting in the seat untouched. Glovebox was open, who knows what they got that guy for. Sometimes I throw my digital camera in the glovebox, luckily I left it on my desk at work yesterday.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i left the faceplate on in my apartment complex, uderground parking and thieves took it. in my own apartment complex. they broke the rear 1/4 window after they couldn't get the door hadle off. no alarm at the time, they had all the time in the world.
insurance cut me a check for everything that was hardwired, including an ipod. they know that ipods are now considered part of a system. i lost about 20% (depreciation) for the HU, but it was a 2yr old alpine and the new ones have the ipod controllers built in.
i has receipts for wiring and all as well as previous pictures.
i delayed the alarm install, and regret it, it would have paged me and i would have been down in a second.
i hate thieves-we should cut off a thumb when caught.
oh, this was on my prelude. i don't have a stereo installed anymore in my rex.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I def have the plastic section of the console, but not the metal support, and its from an Si. It might need a coat of paint, or at least a good cleaning, but its in decent shape, iirc. Sorry I won't be able to get pics, not having a camera sucks almost as much as thieves.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crxsitogo said:
insurance cut me a check for everything that was hardwired, including an ipod. they know that ipods are now considered part of a system.
That's the best news I've heard in a couple of days :) That's the logic I was hoping they would go by, but with insurance companies, who knows. I've got good insurance (full coverage) so they should come through for me. Hope I can get a reciept for my iPod, it's a few years old...got it at Circuit City, so it might still be in their records. I hope I can get a glass place to come out and replace my quarter window while I'm at work this week. God, what a pain in the ass this always turns out to be...

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Insurance companies are SUCH a pain in the ass. i called for 3 days straight before getting put in touch with a glass company. They couldn't find the glass locally, so they had to order it (of course, they could have ordered it 3 days ago if the insurance company was on the ball -- I told them the stereo crap can wait, but I kinda need the quarter glass in a hurry...they didn't listen).

So, appointment is set for Wednesday to get the glass installed, since it won't arrive until then. Also talked to the adjuster today about the rest of the issues.

She took all of the info on the stolen stereo equipment, and asked if anything else was damaged. In hindsight, I should have just kept my mouth shut, but I told her that the console was broken badly and the piece behind the console that holds the stereo etc. was gouged from the theives prying on it. Since she found that out, she told me that I had to go to a body shop and get an estimate on that before she could even approve the glass repairs, since the car "could be a total loss". I told her even from Honda, the console is only probably a $200 part, but if she wanted, she could just forget it and I could get a used one for $25 bucks and install it in 3 minutes and they wouldn't have to pay a dime, just to avoid the hassle. I told her I was kinda sick of driving a car with a missing window so I really didn't want to deal with anything holding up the glass install...she let me know they would pay for 80% of a rental car...apparently they don't mind paying for most of a rental car, but paying LESS money to install the glass was out of the question. Smart.

She wasn't allowed to "just forget it", so I had to leave work and go to the body shop for an hour to get an estimate. It was under $300...gee, I don't think that will total the car. Oh well, they can pay for me to have a brand-new Honda console if they want to be a pain in the ass. The previously cracked climate control was broken even further, but I just told the body shop it was already broken and not to worry about it. A brand new Honda part would be cool, but I wanted to keep the estimate low to avoid them trying to total my car for a few lousy interior parts...

So now they will at least approve my glass repair (I assume $300 won't be a problem)...

Despite the fact that my iPod was hardwired into the car, State Farm apparently has a policy that any device that can be removed from the car and used elsewhere isn't covered under the car's insurance policy. Fine, whatever...

·
Registered
778 Posts
I've got a console cover and console I just took out of my 90 Si. I'm up in Indy every other weekend. Let me know if you want to meet up and pick them up for....maybe a sixer of something good.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dren said:
I've got a console cover and console I just took out of my 90 Si. I'm up in Indy every other weekend. Let me know if you want to meet up and pick them up for....maybe a sixer of something good.
Thanks, if they don't pop for the bodyshop quote and the new Honda parts I'll be all over it...we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car, a friend of mine had a really clean maroon HF where thieves did something similar a couple of years ago. His drivers' side window was busted out, and his console was almost ripped apart from where they succeeded in ripping out his head unit.

Luckily insurance covered him as well, only after they tried to implicate him for insurance fraud and investigated to see if he hired someone to break into his car, despite the fact that this was his first claim, and didnt have so much as a parking ticket until this incident. But, what can you expect from the same industry that ordered the demise of the CRX, and forced it to be replaced by the del sol??(Im not saying that the del sol is an awful car, Im merely saying that it isnt a replacement for the CRX and never should have been).

You said you saw NIN the night it happened? I saw them in March when they came to wichita and trent reznor just walked off stage after his last song, even after the crowd asked for an encore..Did he do the same there? A friend of mine in dallas saw NIN there and reznor did the same thing, and that same friend was with us at the wichita show, and said the dallas show was noticably better...

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
red89si said:
You said you saw NIN the night it happened? I saw them in March when they came to wichita and trent reznor just walked off stage after his last song, even after the crowd asked for an encore..Did he do the same there? A friend of mine in dallas saw NIN there and reznor did the same thing, and that same friend was with us at the wichita show, and said the dallas show was noticably better...
I've been a NIN fan for a very long time, seen them before live, seen/heard bootlegs and read enough setlists to know that everything they play after "Hurt" IS the encore now. They used to finish with Hurt back in the Downward Spiral and Fragile days, now they play a couple of faster songs afterward...but that IS the encore. They've never been a band to leave the stage and act like they are done and then, oh wow, come back for 2 more songs that everyone knows they are gonna play -- they just play Hurt, stay on stage, and play a couple of kickass songs, usually ending with Head Like A Hole or something, and that's it. If you expect the usual "encore" you will NEVER get it, but if you just enjoy the songs after Hurt AS the encore, you're on the right track.

At least I am not under suspicion for insurance fraud, although I was getting a LOT of questions asked of me today, I'm sure that's pretty normal nowadays...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
ryan_long_01 said:
I've been a NIN fan for a very long time, seen them before live, seen/heard bootlegs and read enough setlists to know that everything they play after "Hurt" IS the encore now. They used to finish with Hurt back in the Downward Spiral and Fragile days, now they play a couple of faster songs afterward...but that IS the encore. They've never been a band to leave the stage and act like they are done and then, oh wow, come back for 2 more songs that everyone knows they are gonna play -- they just play Hurt, stay on stage, and play a couple of kickass songs, usually ending with Head Like A Hole or something, and that's it. If you expect the usual "encore" you will NEVER get it, but if you just enjoy the songs after Hurt AS the encore, you're on the right track.
That sounds like the pattern they stuck with...last songs they played were hurt, then head like a hole, and the last song they played was starf**kers inc. But this was the first time Ive seen them live, hope I didnt sound like I was dissappointed in the performance as this was probably the best show IMO to have ever performed in wichita 8)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
red89si said:
That sounds like the pattern they stuck with...last songs they played were hurt, then head like a hole, and the last song they played was starf**kers inc. But this was the first time Ive seen them live, hope I didnt sound like I was dissappointed in the performance as this was probably the best show IMO to have ever performed in wichita 8)
Yeah man, they put on a great live show, and even though the band is totally different from the last tour I saw them on (Fragility 2.0 back in April of 2000), Trent always picks a great group of musicians to tour with. Yeah, it's definitely not a bad attitude thing or the fact that the crowd wasn't into it enough, it's just that Hurt is considered the "show closer", so everything after that is the encore. A lot of people don't know that and try to cheer them back on stage after the last songs, but it NEVER happens.

If you haven't seen the "And All That Could Have Been" DVD that they put out in 2002, check it out! It's live footage from 2000's Fragility 2.0 tour, and the sound/picture quality (everything is mixed in Dolby 5.1) and content is just awesome -- it actually does a VERY good job of capturing the "feel" of seeing them live, since it was all shot with handheld DV cameras (and edited entirely in Final Cut Pro on a Mac by the NIN crew themselves). Lots of hidden features, like extra songs (including Starf***ers live with Manson making a surprise appearance on stage in NYC) Click below to get it on Amazon, it's worth every penny.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005RZPO/104-0866471-1510361?v=glance&n=130

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.