Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for any sort of after market tail lights that DONT look like ricer-boy rubbish.

my car is white, with black projectors, and red brake calipers. everything on it is either white, or black. the tail lights IMO look kinda aged, and dont match the newer style of the lgihts on the front. if anyone knows where i can get, or what i can do to make my lights a little bit more modern, please let me know.

This is the kind of style i dont like at all, with either chrome, or black backing, and the silly round red circles. thats the only thing i can find out there though

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Firstly, nothing that you do will ever be considered legal in our province. Even those aftermarket taillights aren't DOT approved (even if they say they are, they are just using the DOT markings off of the original taillights).

Probably one of the nicest things you can do is either smoke the stock taillights with some of the VHT Nightshades paint, or do the same thing with a similar translucent red paint. Take your time researching the right kind of paint and prep work though...cuz you don't want it to peel.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I second what stickershop said. I've seen people use some kind of vinyl to cover their taillights which looked really good. Granted I've only seen them covered in red to make them look completely uniform. But I would think the same could be done with a dark or smoke vinyl.

Here is a link about painting taillights again this is to paint them red but I think other colors would also apply.

Painting taillights

Here is also a link to a thread at Honda-Tech which also may be helpful. I love the pictures of the RSX taillights covered in vinyl.

Honda-Tech Staining Taillights

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i like this

i think i will give it a shot.

thank you both for your info.

sticker, i know you dont like the guys at GarageFive much, but i asked them about smoking tail-lights and they were telling me that if i do that, its illegal, just like having altezzas on my car, because they have been modified and are not completely stock anymore. tinting "lowers the visibility of the brake light"

i wonder if that would still apply if i put higher wattage bulbs in there?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Didnt some JDM headlight/taillights come smoked from the factory? I saw on EBay some that had a little thing that went on the headlights (Like a piece of plastic I think). Any real detailed write-ups on smoking the head/tail lights?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Stavros said:
sticker, i know you dont like the guys at GarageFive much, but i asked them about smoking tail-lights and they were telling me that if i do that, its illegal, just like having altezzas on my car, because they have been modified and are not completely stock anymore. tinting "lowers the visibility of the brake light"
Huh? When did I ever say something about not liking the guys at GarageFive?

Anyways, that new design looks good. You aren't actually modifying any of the light lenses, so I'm sure you can get away with that without any trouble.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
stickershop said:
Huh? When did I ever say something about not liking the guys at GarageFive?
oopsie, guess im putting words into people's mouths... thought i remembered you saying that once, but i guess i was wrong. sorry :?

I think this the only non oem tail that can work.

http://www.quadconversions.com/Honda_CR ... burner.htm

they have been out for a while, but it says they will soon be discontinued.
Kinda pricey at over $400 to the U.S. but better than the altizzles.
thats a little beyond my price range, and while it does look good on those cars that have body kits, mine unfortunately has OEM body styling. i dont think it would get the same effect. thanks for the find though, ive never seen that style before. kinda reminds me of 90's Nissan Skyline for some reason.

Here is my car. I used the red transluscent vinyl. I got it from a buddy who owns an RSX. He got it from http://clubrsx.com
looks pretty cool! i think i will go with a combo of red vinyl and black paint for the trim around it. this project will probably get under way early next year, since i am cheap and lazy. plus, i dont dislike OEM lights THAT much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts