Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I went through a couple oil pan gaskets and I finally took a look at my oil pan. I noticed some of the bolt hole openings are warped upward (towards the block) and it seems that’s where the gaskets split (the felpro gaskets I used were so soft that I never came close to the 9 ft•lbs that is recommended - so I was always under tightening. Yet, the gasket still bulged out at some points and ripped).

ANYWAYS, has anyone had any luck with aftermarket pans? I found a beat up OEM oil pan at a junkyard and the only problem is that the edge lip near the crank pulley is bent and the mating surface is COVERED with Hondabond… and plus I gotta clean it. It has gunk under the baffle.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Hi, I went through a couple oil pan gaskets and I finally took a look at my oil pan. I noticed some of the bolt hole openings are warped upward (towards the block) and it seems that’s where the gaskets split (the felpro gaskets I used were so soft that I never came close to the 9 ft•lbs that is recommended - so I was always under tightening. Yet, the gasket still bulged out at some points and ripped).

ANYWAYS, has anyone had any luck with aftermarket pans? I found a beat up OEM oil pan at a junkyard and the only problem is that the edge lip near the oil pan is bent and the mating surface is COVERED with Hondabond… and plus I gotta clean it. It has gunk under the baffle.
Pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I got one off rockauto (ATP brand), and I’ll let y’all know how it fits. I have an OEM gasket and some hondabond for the corners.
If the pan sucks ass, maybe I’ll look into Moroso or Canton.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Be careful. This jerryjefre just joined 5 hours ago! Also if the pan you found had hondabond on it, it likely means it was leaking before!
Yea HAHA, I didn’t pm him at all. Insanely sketchy. Also googled the username and it’s found on almost every car forum.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
If you can find a nice flat piece of metal or two, you should be able to tap the flange back to being flat. Unless there's more going on than just a bent mounting flange?

--DD

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The ATP is not flat at all which kinda sucks.
Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Musical instrument Gas

Wood Gas Bumper Hardwood Automotive exterior

It bows up in the middle. I compared it to the CRX oil pan I found at the junkyard:
Property Wood Window Floor Bumper

Wood Bumper Motor vehicle Table Automotive exterior

IDK if it concerns anyone, I just like documenting ****. It makes me feel good. Anyways, I’m probably gonna see how the ATP fits dry and if it really sucks I’m just gonna power wash the inside of the junkyard pan and slap it on. This is kinda annoying.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For anyone it concerns,
I got a better used OEM oil pan from car-part.com and it’s pretty damn good. Really straight, no bent parts, etc… I cleaned it out with small amounts of store-bought engine oil cleaner made of kerosene and diesel and extra oil laying around to kinda swish it out. It was already plenty clean when I got it, but eh fuck it. Also, I’m kinda relying on the filter to keep it clean. I took extra precautions, but I’m omitting some parts cus I am kinda nuts.

I got an OEM oil pan gasket from my dealer and Hondabond. Applied light, even amounts of Hondabond at the sharp corners that meet the block. I torqued everything in a star pattern in multiple passes while being careful to not over torque it past 108 lbs•in.

Seems to be fine so far. I’ll update if I fucked it up.

·
Registered
20,350 Posts
I got an OEM oil pan gasket from my dealer and Hondabond. Applied light, even amounts of Hondabond at the sharp corners that meet the block. I torqued everything in a star pattern in multiple passes while being careful to not over torque it past 108 lbs•in.
This is the part of fitting the oil pan that a lot of people don't know or remember to do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts