Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I might have a job offer in Philadelphia. Does any one here live there that can give the low down on stuff like cost of living, house prices where not to live, or outlieing areas to move to. I might be working for Agusta testing and fixing newly manufatured helicopters at their factory there. Any info would be great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Lumpy53 said:
Looks like I might have a job offer in Philadelphia. Does any one here live there that can give the low down on stuff like cost of living, house prices where not to live, or outlieing areas to move to. I might be working for Agusta testing and fixing newly manufatured helicopters at their factory there. Any info would be great.
:twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,471 Posts
Lumpy53 said:
Ok does anyone have any expirence with Philly?
I lived there for about 20 years. Left 10 years ago. My 2 sons still live there.

Its a great city, has the best of NYC but at about 2/3 of the cost.

Where are you coming from so I could give you a perspective.

How old are you, family, like city life, or want to live in the suburbs, house, where is work?

I lived in both center city, cool historic building with apts, and on what is called the "Main Line", generally upscale neighborhoods, and when I was younger the far northeast. There are many different neighborhoods depending on how you like to live, and what your resources are.
Give me some info and I'll try to help.
Richie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
I'm in New Castle, Delaware...if you plan on buying a house, this is the place.
No sales tax, the tax rate on my house is 1/3 of PA.
My in-laws pay 3500 per year in property taxes, I pay less then 900.
The commute can be a pain, but that's the same in any big city.
Good luck on the job...Philly is close to the City, and Baltimore has the Inner Harbor...Fells Point is a cool place there too. Lots of pubs.
D.C. is just past Baltimore, with all the Smithsonian museums...which are free.
They have some of the coolest things there.
I was really impressed with the original copy of the Magna Carta.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,471 Posts
D_Britt_57 said:
I'm in New Castle, Delaware...if you plan on buying a house, this is the place.
No sales tax, the tax rate on my house is 1/3 of PA.
My in-laws pay 3500 per year in property taxes, I pay less then 900.
The commute can be a pain, but that's the same in any big city.
Good luck on the job...Philly is close to the City, and Baltimore has the Inner Harbor...Fells Point is a cool place there too. Lots of pubs.
D.C. is just past Baltimore, with all the Smithsonian museums...which are free.
They have some of the coolest things there.
I was really impressed with the original copy of the Magna Carta.
Unfortunately, cost of commute and lost time on road can make up the savings living in Del, but if he is working near the airport might not be so bad. I really like Delaware, but would dread the commute. Where is Phila will you be?
I moved out west near Mount St Helens after 'midlife crisis'. Now I commute 12 miles to work in 12 minutes, with no stoplight. In Phila that would have taken me 1 hour during rush hours. I still need a taste of the city frequently so we drive to Portland, Or that takes 45 minutes on highway. (mostly at 75 mph)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like it says by my name I am coming from Fredericksburg VA. about 4 hour south. I'm 40 yrs old maried with 4 kids and a 1yr old grandson. The kids are daughter 20 with son 1, son 18, daughter 17, daughter 8. My son will be leaving for the Marine Corps after graduation so he won't be coming with us. My 20 yr old daughter and son will most likly be coming with us becuase my wife won't let her grandson out of her sight :wink:.
I'm looking for a house in the suburbs about 4 bedroms.
I will be working at the Northeast Philadelphia Airport.
How is the cost of living there the job is paying around $19.00-21.00 and hour. Is that enough to make it around there? Also we want to live near a Lowe's Home Improvement Warehouse so my wife can transfer to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,471 Posts
Lumpy53 said:
Like it says by my name I am coming from Fredericksburg VA. about 4 hour south. I'm 40 yrs old maried with 4 kids and a 1yr old grandson. The kids are daughter 20 with son 1, son 18, daughter 17, daughter 8. My son will be leaving for the Marine Corps after graduation so he won't be coming with us. My 20 yr old daughter and son will most likly be coming with us becuase my wife won't let her grandson out of her sight :wink:.
I'm looking for a house in the suburbs about 4 bedroms.
I will be working at the Northeast Philadelphia Airport.
How is the cost of living there the job is paying around $19.00-21.00 and hour. Is that enough to make it around there? Also we want to live near a Lowe's Home Improvement Warehouse so my wife can transfer to.
Duh, didn't look at you name. Well as I recall Chester was a total dump. There are many parts of Delaware County, including Brookhaven that are nice and afordable. Further down 95 to Delaware very nice too. I bet cost of living is similar to Fredricksburg. Further west to West Chester, very nice. I'll ask my sons if they have any different ideas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
If that's where you will work, you need to look north, bucks county, maybe...
Some nice places up in oxford valley way...that salary should be fine for that area...course you might have to search hard to find a house less the 200K...
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top