Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who shot Hawthorne man at a stop sign?

Eddie Osuna's parents say they hope the public can provide information. But so far, police have no witnesses or motive.

By Larry Altman
Daily Breeze

Les and Marisela Reyes stared at a collage of their son's photographs and asked, "Why?"

After all, 19-year-old Eddie Osuna of Hawthorne worked two jobs, moved out on his own about a month ago and saved his money so he could study automotive repair this summer.

"They had no right to take our son away," Osuna's mother said Wednesday at her Torrance home. "He did no wrong to them. They had no right to do what they did."

All Osuna was doing Saturday afternoon when an unknown gunman took his life was drive in broad daylight through the Athens area.

Paused at 3:30 p.m. for a stop sign on Berendo Avenue at Imperial Highway, Osuna fell victim to bullets suddenly pumped into his 1990 Honda CRX from behind -- for no apparent reason.

"He is a good kid, man. They don't get any nicer than this kid," said sheriff's homicide Detective Richard Lopez. "He held down two jobs. He was an honor graduate. He was a true victim in this case."

Lopez said a car stopped behind Osuna's. The front seat passenger got out, walked up to Osuna's Honda and fired several rounds from a handgun. The shooter returned to his vehicle, and the driver sped away north on Berendo Avenue.

Osuna, struck in the upper body, was pronounced dead at County Harbor-UCLA Medical Center near Torrance.

Tasked with solving Osuna's slaying, Lopez said he has little to go on. Even though the crime occurred in the middle of the afternoon, Lopez has no witnesses and no motive, which prompted Osuna's parents on Wednesday to plead for help.

"It's unbelievable," Marisela Reyes said. "We are at a loss here. We don't know why this happened. We would like the public's help."

Osuna grew up with his family in Hawthorne, helping out at his church and attending Hawthorne High School, where he was a member of the weight-lifting club, better known as the "Muscle Club."

"He was here every day in the weight room working out," teacher Mike Bowler said. "He was always a good kid and always in good spirits."

Les Reyes worried about his boy as a teen in Hawthorne, but he knew his son was well-mannered and "always had a good head on him." He knew his son stayed clear of the area's gangs.

A devout fan of the Dodgers and Lakers, Osuna rejoiced in the team's championships. His parents said they will forever remember the joy they spent watching the games together.

About two years ago, Les Reyes moved his family to Torrance, hoping for a safer neighborhood and better school for Osuna's younger sister.

Osuna graduated from Hawthorne High in 2004 and did well, getting a full-time job serving food at the LAX Hilton and a part-time gig loading cargo at a freight company.

Although the young man set up his own apartment, he continued to adhere to a 10 p.m. curfew.

Technically savvy, Osuna repaired and rode bicycles through his teen years, and he worked on cars. He stashed away money to attend the Universal Technical Institute in Phoenix, where he would learn automobile repair.

He was on his way to a friend's house to buy tire rims when the gunman opened fire.

"I am very angry," Osuna's father said.

"I don't understand why God took my son. There are people out there who are really bad. I don't know why God abandoned my son, so I'm mad at him for that."

Les Reyes said he hoped someone helps detectives find the killers, bring them to justice and allow others to feel safe when they send their children and wives onto the roads.

"We all try to live our lives the best way we can," he said. "We pay our bills. We try to do everything to obey the law. And yet you have people out there who just aren't doing that."

·
Registered
913 Posts
Must have been mistaken identity... I'm weary in Edmonton here because there is a mint yellow CRX with same black trim and rims and limo tinted windows that cruises around. I hope he's not a dealer or anything... that's why I can't tint my windows... :?

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
baker_jeff said:
Must have been mistaken identity... I'm weary in Edmonton here because there is a mint yellow CRX with same black trim and rims and limo tinted windows that cruises around. I hope he's not a dealer or anything... that's why I can't tint my windows... :?
that's freaky! hope the guy doesn't have any enemies...

·
Registered
452 Posts
There is more to the story than what we will ever know.
Of course his parents are gonna be like, Oh MY Johnny was an ANGEL!
Regardless, it is very sad and the Osuna family's loss. :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not good, not good at all :shock: .

Maybe dealers have started using rexes these days? Well at least me I'm safe when I drive my rex here - no one has an all-white rex and my distinctive reg plate cannot be mistaken for another...

JP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.