Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The email address I submitted to join this forum is one I use VERY infrequently. About the only use the last few years has been as a drop for the various CRX forums I have joined. But now the SPAM I'm receiving in the account has gone up 10-fold in the last couple of weeks since I joined this forum. :x

The bulk of it is "Abolish all you are indebted for without mailing another cent", etc., but one was from "[email protected]", advertising 5 or so bike/car websites.

Is someone here stealing our email addresses and selling them to spammers? :evil:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I haven't experienced any problems. If you're really worried, make your email address so it's not visible in your preferences.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
I have not had any issues either. This usually happens via web bots that seek out the internet searching for "mailto:" links, grabbing up all the addresses they can find. And we do have mailto links in each profile. But like Stick said, if you make your email address hidden in your settings, it will not be accessible to the bots. But I have literally had NO spam to my address here. And I use this address ONLY for this forum.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I just used an address that already gets loads of spam, so I'm used to it.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Charlie said:
Ragnaarok said:
I just used an address that already gets loads of spam, so I'm used to it.
it's a yahoo email address, all you do is hit "empty bulk folder" once and POOF, all spam is gone, works great! :wink:

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Ragnaarok said:
it's a yahoo email address, all you do is hit "empty bulk folder" once and POOF, all spam is gone, works great! :wink:
Heh... yahoo filters half of my message reply notifications into the bluk folder. :roll:
Not really an issue though since I don't get any spam on that account.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I made sure to specify that my email address was not posted in my visible profile when I signed-up. And yes, my email account has a "delete spam" function, but the filters are only identifying about half the crap as spam.

The spam from sportbike.us was not caught automatically, for example.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I also received a spam e-mail from that sportbike thing. Thing is though it was sent to an e-mail address that I am not using for this site. So they must of gotten it from some other site.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
no spam here... of course my school account... I've had it for 6 yrs, I guess its actually not as bad as one would think...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I haven't gotten any spam since here. But I don't get any no matter where I am. They don't allow it, and if you DO get one, you can click it and they put it out like Right Now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
zulued said:
if it wasnt for spammers i wouldnt get any emails.
:p

I have an account where I get about 350 spams a day - thank god for spamkillers!

JP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts