Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my dad to get a new car. Currently he has an 89 Suburban (4wd he insists he needs it) and an 89 Accord LXi. The accord is the only honda I don't like, I'm praying for it to explode any day. As they are both old, he has mechanical problems with them frequently, which means I have mechanical problems with them. I think the element would be a good replacement for both of them, the suburban is in good shape and would probably be sold, and I would take a plasma cutter to the accord and scatter its pieces in different scrapyards all over the state after a ritualistic ceremony.
We are looking at it online now, and I'm trying to get him to go for a test drive tomorrow or this week. I'd like some input from anyone who's owned one or driven one for a while, as I don't know too much about it.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
My former college roommate has one now. He's got a red 2006 EX-P, 4wd with the 5-speed trans. He insisted on precisely that configuration, I think it took the dealer about 4 months to get one.

If you're buying one now, make sure you get the 2007. All EX's now come with painted panels (no more EX-P trim level) and they've got seat-mounted seatbelts, so you can let rear passengers out without undoing the belt.

They're incredibly versatile, and they're HUGE inside! The leg and head room just doesn't end, front or rear. The rear sunroof is removable, and if you recline the rear seats and lay down on them, you can stare up at the stars. (very cool 8) ) I don't know how effective the 4wd setup is for off-road, but it's certainly capable in sand and snow.

The only minor complaints I can come up with is that it only has seating for 4 people, and no front sunroof is available.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
My buddy had one he was leasing... he really liked it, but turned it in because he couldn't afford to keep a race built 944 Turbo and the Element, and the Element kept getting broken into. It was really spacious inside, and its also nice that you can spray the interior out and pull the drain plug in the floor. The seats can also be removed and the mounts used as bike racks, if your Dad is into that type of stuff.

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
My fiance plans on getting one within the next 1-2 yrs. Her Civic will be paid off at the end of this year( all my cars are paid for, LOL) so we are going to try to enjoy life without a car payment for a little while then maybe slip into an Element later on.

We test drove one and liked how it drove, handled, the acceleration and LOVED the amount of space inside of it. It is such a perfect vehicle, def a utility type of vehicle!

·
Registered
14 Posts
my sister has one, and i got to borrow it to go to Tennessee last year (its an 05 element 4wd) they are decent trucks, but beware that you will only get around 15mpg, i got 19 on the highway, but that still seems rediculous for a truck that small. however, it will dog a camry on take off, which was impressive. her's also has really abnormal tire wear, i think she's on her 3rd set of tires with 65k on it. she does a TON of driving. it still has the honda quality feel though.

just as another thing to check out, look at the new subarus, they have about the best AWD system. you can get a new impreza sedan for around 16k with awd, and it will do around 28 mpg. even the outbacks and foresters can be had for around 19k. i used to have a 2000 forester, and that was a great car, good power, unstopable in the snow, comfy, and also very good quality. i would recomend subaru to anybody.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Subaru's are really great offroad and such, but when I was looking at their lineup in the showroom, a lot of them are pretty small inside. Although their performance and everything is good, I think one of their downsides is that they dont have a lot of room inside. And I'm pretty sure downest's dad would want room coming from a truck.

-Sulk

·
Registered
14 Posts
what sulk said is definatly true. the Outbacks have the most room be far, but to be honest, i was actually comfortable in my forester, and i`m 6ft 250 lbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.