Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 CRX HF with a 5 speed manual trany and would like to know if it is OK to tow behind a motorhome.

Anyone know or have one they tow?

TIA

Bob

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Page 94 of the 1991 Honda CRX Owners Manual said:
Towing

If towing is necessary, contact a professional towing service. Your authorized Honda dealer can assist you with detailed towing instructions.

WARNING
Never use tow chains or rope to tow a car; your ability to safely control the car may be adversely affected.

We recommend the following:
Flat Bed Equipment-Entire car is winched on a flat bed vehicle. This is the best way of transporting your Honda.
Wheel Lift Type-Tow with the front wheels off the ground.

If the car can only be towed with the front wheels on the ground: make sure the transmission is full of fluid (see pages 62 - 63) and tow with the transmission in neutral (N) and the ignition key in the I position.

CAUTION:
To aviod serious damage on automatic transmission cars, first start the engine and shift to D4, then to N and shut the engine off. If the engine does not run or the transmission cannot be shifted while the engine is running, the car must be transported on flat bed equipment.

Check local regulations for towing.

CAUTION:
• Do not exceed 35 mph (55 km/h) or tow for distances of more than 50 miles (80 km).
• If a sling type tow is used, the tow truck driver should position wood spacer blocks between your car's frame and the chains and lift straps to aviod damaging the bumper and the body.
• Do not use the bumpers to lift the car or to support the car's weight while towing.
• If possible, tow the car with the front wheels off the ground.

IMO, you will probably be fine if you put the front wheels on a dolly and leave the parking/emergency brake off.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
It sounds like he's talking about towing with a tow-bar probably with all 4 wheels on the ground... But yea, the dolly thing would work also.

However, the car can tow on the ground easily as well with all 4 wheels and a proper tow bar. Your local RV center ought to be able to do the tow-bar install on the front of the car, and do the wiring so that the CRX lights work through the RV lights (or you could just use the magnetic ones).

The only drawback to the 4-on-the-floor towing idea, is that your car will increase mileage when in-tow. If you use a dolly, it won't. So that may be worth the dolly purchase right there.

I think the CRX would be the perfect RV in-tow vehicle, dolly or no dolly... its light, so it will make the whole thing more fuel efficient for long runs, and it is cool car to boot :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
TONS of RVers used to buy CRXs just for that purpose: they were small and light, easy to tow behind a motorhome, got good gas mileage, and had the right amount of seats for an older couple to tool around town when their RV was parked. I used to see a lot of them being towed on all 4 wheels behind RVs on the interstate. I read something once about somebody coming across a lot of CRXs with high mileage in outstanding condition because almost all of the miles came while being towed and not driven.

In response to John's comment, I would unplug the speedo cable to prevent racking up miles when it's being towed if your mileage is at all low or if you care about it at all. My car is about to turn 200k, so I wouldn't bother...but if my car had 75k miles, I would for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.