Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I did a quick search for chassis harness on here all I can seem to find is info on engine harnesses and installing harness bars. I'm in the process of putting together an 88 crx si I bought last summer. Turns out the previous owner hacked out a bunch of the chasis harness. So far what I know is missing is all lights on the front of the car, rad fan, washer fluid motor wiring etc. Basically everything from the firewall forward. I have no idea what he was doing but either way, this is where I am. I have found a guy on kijiji with a 90 civic si chasis harness for sale. My question is would this harness be a simple swap to replace mine or are there differences between civic and crx or between 88 and 90. Even if someone could point me to a thread with the info I need. Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
571 Posts
They're probably pretty close. I'd check the terminations and see if they look like they all match, but as far as length, probably be ok. Pinout is probably different.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I assume it won't be that simple... maybe I should hold off on this one and try to track down an 88 harness...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually bought a rywire engine harness. Alot of money, I imagine the chasis harness would be a fortune.. I've gone through their site quite a bit, I don't think they make the chasis harness

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered rywires "chasis harness" with my engine harness. It's essentially a jumper harness, they mass produce their budget harness all the same and then you order their "chasis harness" depending on what chasis you have, ek eg ef. It's not a complete chasis harness like I need. Just allows you to integrate their budget harness into your chasis

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See I have a h whole mess of wires going nowhere, and even if I trace them back and figure out what they are for I'm missing the sockets. As well as these 2 resistor box or relays that have labels about something to do with headlights, That are completely cut out. God knows what other parts are missing. I think the easiest thing would be to just remove the entire chasis harness and replace it with a complete (unhacked) one. I've been looking for info on it all night but as soon as you type in anything to do with a harness for this car all that comes up is engine harness or racing belt installs

·
Registered
571 Posts
Buy a helms manual. This is what the dealership uses, not the haynes or whatever you can buy in a the auto parts store.

A lot of the plugs are the same per generation, that's why I mentioned it will probably work with the civic harness. Rywire or Wireworx can source a lot of these plugs too, and they have the pinouts for everything, so if you want a fresh, new, harness, contact them.

·
Registered
91 CRX HF
28 Posts
See I have a h whole mess of wires going nowhere, and even if I trace them back and figure out what they are for I'm missing the sockets. As well as these 2 resistor box or relays that have labels about something to do with headlights, That are completely cut out. God knows what other parts are missing. I think the easiest thing would be to just remove the entire chasis harness and replace it with a complete (unhacked) one. I've been looking for info on it all night but as soon as you type in anything to do with a harness for this car all that comes up is engine harness or racing belt installs
The first box of black wires your holding is the shared grounding point for the lights.

·
Registered
20,202 Posts
My question is would this harness be a simple swap to replace mine or are there differences between civic and crx or between 88 and 90. Even if someone could point me to a thread with the info I need. Any input is greatly appreciated.
I know that the dash harness differs from 88-91, so based on that logic, I'm sure Honda probably made some small changes to the chassis harness as well.
I will look, but I think I MAY have an '88 Factory service manual somewhere. I know I had one for sure because I had to print it all off myself, but unsure as to where it ended up, but will take a look to see if I can find it. I'll reply back if I find it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I went on rywire and wireworx. Rywire has a chasis harness option but it's over $2000 by the time I add all the parts I need, and seems to be more for a racecar than a road car. I couldn't find anything for EF chasis on wireworx. I just want an oem harness so everything functions. I still have this guy with the 90 si harness on the hook. This doesn't seem to be a topic with alot of information available.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Signalpuke is right. if you plan to troubleshoot it may be best to find a shop manual. After digging around I was able to find the Honda Civic/Crx shop manual PDF.
These pictures actually look helpful. I'll have to take some time to go over everything. And see exactly what I'm missing. This is the one you said was a common ground yes?

·
Registered
571 Posts
So I went on rywire and wireworx. Rywire has a chasis harness option but it's over $2000 by the time I add all the parts I need, and seems to be more for a racecar than a road car. I couldn't find anything for EF chasis on wireworx. I just want an oem harness so everything functions. I still have this guy with the 90 si harness on the hook. This doesn't seem to be a topic with alot of information available.
That's why I mentioned before that the Civic harness is likely 90% there, if not more, and probably just needs pin-outs checked and swapped around. That chassis is a little longer, so you won't have to worry about something not reaching, and it will give you a little slack if you need to cut/splice anything for whatever reason.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts