Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pull the lever thing inside the car to open the hood. Damn thing wont open at all. Are there any tricks to opening a 1988 Honda CRX HF hood?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,051 Posts
if its stuck, its out of alignment.

one thing to try is have one person pull the lever and the other push down on the hood to release it. i use a socket extension to prop the lever up when needed, then i can go to the front and push.

once you have it open, you just have to play with the striker. turn the screw in or out, or loosen the clamp and shifit it around. put some fresh grease on everything too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
tyson said:
if its stuck, its out of alignment.

one thing to try is have one person pull the lever and the other push down on the hood to release it. i use a socket extension to prop the lever up when needed, then i can go to the front and push.

once you have it open, you just have to play with the striker. turn the screw in or out, or loosen the clamp and shifit it around. put some fresh grease on everything too.
Before putting new grease on it, take the time and remove it, clean it, then apply fresh grease. It will operate like new (unless your cable is snapped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
If you cable has stretched one trick is to take the cable sheath out of the holder in the lever under the dash and position the end behind the lever mechanism it normally clips into. This will give you an extra 3/8" or so of pull that may get the mechanism to release under the hood. If you have to do this you may need a new cable eventually though. The other thing is to push down on the hood as was suggested. Sometimes you can push it down, then go in and pull the lever and that works. Definitely time to take the latch out, clean, and grease everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,255 Posts
If you have small enough hands, you can reach up through the bumper and find the little tab where the cable connects to and push it to the left.

I have to do this with my 89 si....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Angry said:
If you have small enough hands, you can reach up through the bumper and find the little tab where the cable connects to and push it to the left.

I have to do this with my 89 si....
Isnt that tab in the middle of the hood and front bumper?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,423 Posts
I've gotten in the habit of putting pressure on the cable, right behind the lever, when I pull the release lever. It needs re-adjusted, because it won't open by just pulling the lever...but my method of pushing on the cable to apply more pressure while pulling the lever seems to work. If it gets worse (which it will eventually), I'll readjust or replace it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I have the same problem with my 91 si. I usually take one of my car keys and wedge it behind the lever so I can go to the front of the car. I then have to give it a good firm push about a foot above the honda emblem on the hood and it pops right open.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,255 Posts
Juans_Mx3 said:
Angry said:
If you have small enough hands, you can reach up through the bumper and find the little tab where the cable connects to and push it to the left.

I have to do this with my 89 si....
Isnt that tab in the middle of the hood and front bumper?
Errrr...its the one at the end of the cable.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top